Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG Cable Vs. WIFI

Interesting, for me OTG is much faster then connecting via wifi and is the only reason I use OTG. For wifi, the RC-Spark wifi doesn't show up the first time, I have to power off/on the RC and then it eventually shows up so I can connect. With OTG, it's plug in and instantly connected. How is OTG taking you longer than wifi? Is should not be "definitely much longer", all you do is plug it in.
I'm not talking about the plug in time, but the total time.

Via Wifi:
Take phone out, turn on wifi, turn on remote, connected automatically.

Using otg:
Take phone out, take cable out, plug cable to phone, plug cable to remote, connected.

Imho (^__^ )

I am new to spark, but am curious about this OTG stuff. I am using an Android tablet.

I have read that you have to go back to a previous version of the DGI Go app because they have removed all OTG support from the latest DJI Go.

Maybe later this summer I will be experimenting with OTG. So far in my limited use Wi-Fi with an Android tablet has worked just fine.

I have also read that the RC USB connector is a female micro C USB connector rather than micro B. The outside edges of the connector appear to be more rounded than the micro B connectors I've seen, for example on my tablet. Is this true?

This would also mean that a micro B male connector is compatible with a micro C female connector, since the white charging cable that came with the Spark is a male micro B?

I wonder if this would be a solution:
41DjvobhxaL._SS135_.jpg

This is a USB micro C OTG to USB A dongle.

This would plug-in to the RC USB. I would then plug a USB A to micro USB cable between this and my tablet. If OTG is not supported in the DJI Go app by the time I give this a try, I would use one of the previous versions of DJI Go which supposedly has OTG support.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Barry.

I am new to spark, but am curious about this OTG stuff. I am using an Android tablet.

I have read that you have to go back to a previous version of the DGI Go app because they have removed all OTG support from the latest DJI Go.

Maybe later this summer I will be experimenting with OTG. So far in my limited use Wi-Fi with an Android tablet has worked just fine.

I have also read that the RC USB connector is a female micro C USB connector rather than micro B. The outside edges of the connector appear to be more rounded than the micro B connectors I've seen, for example on my tablet. Is this true?

This would also mean that a micro B male connector is compatible with a micro C female connector, since the white charging cable that came with the Spark is a male micro B?

I wonder if this would be a solution:
41DjvobhxaL._SS135_.jpg

This is a USB micro C OTG to USB A dongle.

This would plug-in to the RC USB. I would then plug a USB A to micro USB cable between this and my tablet. If OTG is not supported in the DJI Go app by the time I give this a try, I would use one of the previous versions of DJI Go which supposedly has OTG support.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Barry.
If I'm understanding you right I don't think that'll work because you need a micro usb male to plug into the remote. That looks like a type c in the photo.

If I'm understanding you right I don't think that'll work because you need a micro usb male to plug into the remote. That looks like a type c in the photo.

Does the remote have a female micro USB connector (I've also seen this type of connector referred to as a female micro USB B connector)?

When I look at the connector on the RC the female shell looks more rounded than the shell that surrounds my micro connector on my phone or tablet.

The outer sides of the female micro USB B connector slope at an angle. The connector on the RC looks more rounded.

upload_2018-2-24_20-54-35.png

I saw somewhere on this forum that somebody referred to the RC connector as a female micro USB C.

upload_2018-2-24_21-1-26.png

Barry.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-24_20-52-7.png
    upload_2018-2-24_20-52-7.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 27
  • upload_2018-2-24_20-58-28.png
    upload_2018-2-24_20-58-28.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 27
Does the remote have a female micro USB connector (I've also seen this type of connector referred to as a female micro USB B connector)?

When I look at the connector on the RC the female shell looks more rounded than the shell that surrounds my micro connector on my phone or tablet.

The outer sides of the female micro USB B connector slope at an angle. The connector on the RC looks more rounded.

View attachment 3688

I saw somewhere on this forum that somebody referred to the RC connector as a female micro USB C.

View attachment 3690

Barry.
The remote is not a type c, it's the micro usb b, same female end that the spark has in the back of it beside the memory card.

The remote is not a type c, it's the micro usb b, same female end that the spark has in the back of it beside the memory card.
Nope. RC plug is actually a Micro-AB connector. It is a squared off Micro B, which due to terrible design will allow a Micro B cable to be inserted upside down, breaking the pins. Be careful when plugging in.

Mavic RC cables (that plug into the side of the RC to your phone) use the Micro AB connector, just to be different.

Interesting, for me OTG is much faster then connecting via wifi and is the only reason I use OTG. For wifi, the RC-Spark wifi doesn't show up the first time, I have to power off/on the RC and then it eventually shows up so I can connect. With OTG, it's plug in and instantly connected. How is OTG taking you longer than wifi? Is should not be "definitely much longer", all you do is plug it in.
As long as my wifi is turned on, it will search for an active wifi source and connect automatically. I don’t use the OTG any longer either. I carry it for those times I’m obviously in a heavily wifi congested area.

Hadn’t been having any problems flying Spark with RC and WiFi. Flying on beach in Panama City yesterday; aircraft about 75 yards from condo building I was about 25 yards with RC. Got “WiFi interference” and lost signal. Only networks I could see were individual units in building. If WiFi connection is that sensitive not sure I trust flying again until OTG supported

Does not work with Android properly.
What do you mean by not working properly with Android?

So, I am using Android phone with OTG on the DJI Spark. I came here to see why my phone was not displaying stats for battery, altitude, distance, and some other stuff. If it really not going to work properly with the Android, I might consider purchasing a used iphone or ipad to have a solid connection with my DJI Spark. Where I fly most of the time I really dislike using the Wi-Fi connection, the video can be annoyingly glitchy with delays of 30+ seconds. I tried OTG for the first time today and I was extremely impressed. I was so impressed this was the first time I let it fly out of sight and just watch the video on my phone. I just didn't have the stats I was used to seeing.

We would really like to say there is a magic fix, but there isn’t with the current update, it either plays well with the mobile devices used or doesn’t.

It’s this glitch that reveals itself every so often that convinced me to stop using it all together.

For what its worth... dji tech support told me to use otg because my galaxy s8 wont stay connected to the remote.

I did downgrade the app as well.

That’s important to know. So basically, support, simply resolving the issue based on other OTG users experiences.
It does undoubtably provide a solid connection to the mobile device one uses. There is no denying that.
Whatever gets your Spark safely in the air is the notion here.
Glad its working for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schmidtrobert