Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

OTG Cable Vs. WIFI

B W

Join
Jan 28, 2018
Hopefully someone can help me out here. I bought the OTG Cable hoping that it would help decrease my iphone battery discharge. With the cable it is still necessary to connect to my controller via wifi. It still drains my phone battery as before. As iI see it the cable does nothing . Am I doing something wrong?

OTG doesn’t charge anything. In fact on iOS it has zero purpose at all. Some android users say it provides a better link for the video feed.

Reactions: DesertWindAero
It wont connect without wifi.

It is supposed to. With OTG, you turn your phones wifi off. Fire up the RC, then the Spark, once the RC connects to the Sparks (green light), fire up GO4 app, then connect the OTG cable to phone and RC. You should then be able to enter the aircraft. If that doesn't work, you must have an OTG cable that doesn't work.

My experience with OTG. Does not work with Android properly. I now use my wife's old iPhone 6 as a dedicated device (with the latest iOS and DJI app updates, but has no cell service). Connecting the iPhone to the RC via WiFi I still get unnerving dropouts. Using OTG the DJI app is Rock solid. It is good enough to fly only using the screen video and data; I am becoming more and more trusting in the setup sometimes letting my spark out of eyesight. I do NOT shut off wifi, but I deleted the RC wifi connection. I have the iPhone connect to my Pixel 2 XL for internet so it gets map updates, firmware downloads, etc. VERY important and this is very weird... If I connect the OTG cable first with everything off, the connection does not work. Power on RC, power on Spark, let them connect. Start the DJI app and let it boot to the Device Disconnected screen. If I then plug OTG into RC and then to iPhone, it does NOT work. Plugging OTG cable into iPhone first, and then into RC is the ONLY way everything works. You will get a device unsupported warning, just say OK. Enter the device and you will find everything working better than you have ever seen before. Been using this method for the last 6 weeks, through several DJI updates, and am completely satisfied.

Reactions: Rafa7
One further note... Once you are at this point, there is no problem shutting off the Spark to change battery. Just do not turn off RC, iPhone, or disconnect OTG. Just shut off Spark, switch batteries, start Spark. Wait patiently while RC reconnects. You will see the Spark also reconnect on the iPhone. Continue flying [emoji41]

My experience with OTG. Does not work with Android properly. I now use my wife's old iPhone 6 as a dedicated device (with the latest iOS and DJI app updates, but has no cell service). Connecting the iPhone to the RC via WiFi I still get unnerving dropouts. Using OTG the DJI app is Rock solid. It is good enough to fly only using the screen video and data; I am becoming more and more trusting in the setup sometimes letting my spark out of eyesight. I do NOT shut off wifi, but I deleted the RC wifi connection. I have the iPhone connect to my Pixel 2 XL for internet so it gets map updates, firmware downloads, etc. VERY important and this is very weird... If I connect the OTG cable first with everything off, the connection does not work. Power on RC, power on Spark, let them connect. Start the DJI app and let it boot to the Device Disconnected screen. If I then plug OTG into RC and then to iPhone, it does NOT work. Plugging OTG cable into iPhone first, and then into RC is the ONLY way everything works. You will get a device unsupported warning, just say OK. Enter the device and you will find everything working better than you have ever seen before. Been using this method for the last 6 weeks, through several DJI updates, and am completely satisfied.

Same here, this is how it also works properly on my iPad Mini 2, it must be an iOS 'thing'.

Reactions: Mitskinyc
I am new and confused. I have a 2017 iPad and iPhone 8+. OTG will be more reliable? I have not flown my Spark yet. I read other posts saying it is not necessary to use OTG.

Excuse my ignorance. I am more than willing to buy a cable if it will improve things as I need to order a couple of other things. I’m in the US if that matters.

TIA

I am new and confused. I have a 2017 iPad and iPhone 8+. OTG will be more reliable? I have not flown my Spark yet. I read other posts saying it is not necessary to use OTG.

Excuse my ignorance. I am more than willing to buy a cable if it will improve things as I need to order a couple of other things. I’m in the US if that matters.

TIA

I will let the senior/pros answer this one but is my understanding that OTG is more reliable as to better on-screen video quality and less chances of RC/tablet disconnect/interference.

For anyone who is using an iPhone (I have a 6s Plus) would you please let me know the exact product that is working for you and on which firmwares? Maybe provide a link to purchase on Amazon or elsewhere. I would like to at least try it with OTG, but not sure what works best with iPhone 6s Plus.

Is there just a cable I could purchase that would be just the cable with the proper ends on it instead having to use my iPhone cable connected to an adapter like you listed?
I haven't seen any single piece cables.

Reactions: Robert A Watt
I've tried using otg cable. Work just fine. But then i go back on using wifi. The cable makes preparation time longer than using wifi.
When i'm using cable, my phone battery is last a little longer, but the spark remote batt drop quite fast. Thats one of many other reason i go back to wifi.

Beside, its the era for wireless, why bother still using cable?

Reactions: MannyCAM2001

TIA
Using wifi outdoor will work just fine. Sometimes it'll disconnected, but only for 1-2 second in my experience

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
I've tried using otg cable. Work just fine. But then i go back on using wifi. The cable makes preparation time longer than using wifi.
When i'm using cable, my phone battery is last a little longer, but the spark remote batt drop quite fast. Thats one of many other reason i go back to wifi.

Beside, its the era for wireless, why bother still using cable?

Interesting, for me OTG is much faster then connecting via wifi and is the only reason I use OTG. For wifi, the RC-Spark wifi doesn't show up the first time, I have to power off/on the RC and then it eventually shows up so I can connect. With OTG, it's plug in and instantly connected. How is OTG taking you longer than wifi? Is should not be "definitely much longer", all you do is plug it in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf