Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Okaloosa Island Florida

sirkkelley

Join
Sep 24, 2018
This is my first attempt at making a family vacation video. I tried to incorporate iPhone footage with my Spark footage. Still need to work on my video editing. I did all the editing on iMovie on my phone. Surprisingly it didn't take but a couple of hours.

Any pointers or tips are welcome.

Thanks

Nicely done.

And with a phone no less.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Very impressive work ? . I grew up in the Florida panhandle and can remember before all that development when it was white sand dunes and emerald water. I really like your blending of aerial and GoPro footage. The kids will remember this the rest of their lives. You've really got the knack for what works and how to put it together. Kudos!

I'm amazed GeoFencing would let you go airborne in that area since it falls under Eglin's airspace from the surface.

Reactions: Stever68
Very impressive work ? . I grew up in the Florida panhandle and can remember before all that development when it was white sand dunes and emerald water. I really like your blending of aerial and GoPro footage. The kids will remember this the rest of their lives. You've really got the knack for what works and how to put it together. Kudos!

I'm amazed GeoFencing would let you go airborne in that area since it falls under Eglin's airspace from the surface.

We stayed at Waterscape Resort. If you look just to the east it was a no fly zone, but I was able to fly west over the beach and just off the coast to the east.

Air Map.jpg

We stayed at Waterscape Resort. If you look just to the east it was a no fly zone, but I was able to fly west over the beach and just off the coast to the east.

I see what you're saying and maybe I am misreading AirMap, but the purple area you're talking about is tagged as Special Use Airspace -Installation 4. It's near the left lower edge inside labeled Eglin-Hurlburt Field class D airspace as denoted by the red line above the zero, meaning the floor is at the surface. Not trying to argue, just want to make sure I'm understanding AirMap's information. Some aspects of AirMap are a bit confusing to me. In any case, you did a marvelous job of archiving your family's vacation and it'd be hard to find a better location.

I see what you're saying and maybe I am misreading AirMap, but the purple area you're talking about is tagged as Special Use Airspace -Installation 4. It's near the left lower edge inside labeled Eglin-Hurlburt Field class D airspace as denoted by the red line above the zero, meaning the floor is at the surface. Not trying to argue, just want to make sure I'm understanding AirMap's information. Some aspects of AirMap are a bit confusing to me. In any case, you did a marvelous job of archiving your family's vacation and it'd be hard to find a better location.

I'm sure you know more about it than me, lol. I have only tried to fly in one place before that would not let me take off, when i crossed that boundary i got an immediate warning and the controls became very limited. I was only able to fly directly out the way i came in at minimal speed and it would not let me increase altitude. I should do a little more research about the boundary markings on AirMap. Thanks for the info.

I'm sure you know more about it than me, lol. I have only tried to fly in one place before that would not let me take off, when i crossed that boundary i got an immediate warning and the controls became very limited. I was only able to fly directly out the way i came in at minimal speed and it would not let me increase altitude. I should do a little more research about the boundary markings on AirMap. Thanks for the info.

Your are right. I should not have been able to take off at all. AirMap shows that there are 26 advisories in this area. Do any of you guys fly using AirMap instead of the Go4 app? It shows that you can connect using a OTG cable and fly through its software.

Image 2.jpg

Fantastic video sirkkelley. Looks like everyone had a wonderful vacation. Beautiful footage and a beautiful family. Video was very well put together and most enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: RotorWash
This is my first attempt at making a family vacation video. I tried to incorporate iPhone footage with my Spark footage. Still need to work on my video editing. I did all the editing on iMovie on my phone. Surprisingly it didn't take but a couple of hours.

Any pointers or tips are welcome.

Thanks
Did you adjust the colors at all in the opening Spark footage. If not that was some impressive sky, if so great work in post.

Did you adjust the colors at all in the opening Spark footage. If not that was some impressive sky, if so great work in post.

I didn’t use any color adjustments in the video. I’ve tried that in the past with iMovie, but it makes the upload quality suffer.

Reactions: MVGsparked
Great video looks like a great place to go on vacation. cute kids look like they had a lot of fun. ?

Reactions: sirkkelley

I don't have a GoPro. I used my iPhone for all other footage. I had never taken my phone underwater before, at least not intentionally, but the spec's said that it was waterproof up to like 18 feet. So I though why not give it a try. I was very excited to see that it worked, and the underwater video portion turned out pretty good. I will be taking my phone for a swim again, hopefully before the weather takes a cold turn. My goal is to eliminate our need for photo books and try to do short video's like this from our family excursions. Thanks again.

Great underwater footage. I have an "GoPro-type" that came with a waterproof housing which we've used on occasion. I'm impressed your phone did that.

My wife laments the digital archiving of our photos and videos in recent years. She finds being able to hold a photo in your hand is more likely to be shared with friends and relatives face-to-face. She may be right, but we can email photos to those we can't often see face-to-face and print the others as needed.

Great underwater footage. I have an "GoPro-type" that came with a waterproof housing which we've used on occasion. I'm impressed your phone did that.

My wife laments the digital archiving of our photos and videos in recent years. She finds being able to hold a photo in your hand is more likely to be shared with friends and relatives face-to-face. She may be right, but we can email photos to those we can't often see face-to-face and print the others as needed.

I do agree with your wife. Being able to pass a physical photo around is much more personal than viewing it on your phone. What's terrible is that I take a ridiculous amount of photos on my phone but never have them printed off. I plan on getting digital video picture frames to give to family members as gifts, I have already done so for my grandmother its called NixPlay and you just email the pictures to that device. This way they can view digital pictures on a constant rotation regularly. This isn't as good as the real thing though. The problem is that I don't live anywhere close to any of my relatives and they are always asking for pictures of my girls. This may be a temporary solution.

Reactions: Spark 317
Sounds like NixPlay may be a good solution. Years ago I bought a digital picture frame to do the same thing, but the aspect ratio was weird and the upload procedure was not user friendly. Digital photos, like most technologies, have a good side and a not so good side. As memory has gotten cheaper, rather than having to decide which photo out of a roll of 36 to have printed has given way to huge number of photos, probably more than we need to keep. But, it does give options and that's always nice to have.

One drawback with digital frames is they can display in landscape or portrait, but have no way of satisfactorily handling a mix. Too, I'd have thought the prices would have been more reasonable by now.

Sounds like NixPlay may be a good solution. Years ago I bought a digital picture frame to do the same thing, but the aspect ratio was weird and the upload procedure was not user friendly. Digital photos, like most technologies, have a good side and a not so good side. As memory has gotten cheaper, rather than having to decide which photo out of a roll of 36 to have printed has given way to huge number of photos, probably more than we need to keep. But, it does give options and that's always nice to have.

One drawback with digital frames is they can display in landscape or portrait, but have no way of satisfactorily handling a mix. Too, I'd have thought the prices would have been more reasonable by now.

I ran across a Nixplay at Goodwill new in the box for $15.You are right though, the standard price is a bit high.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502