Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Official Mavic Air discussion threads

Is anyone else really pissed at the release timing of this or is it just me? I know tech is always advancing etc. etc. but right after Christmas!? I just got my bloody spark combo and now there's no way I can get this any time soon. Bit earlier and I would have been all over it. WTF?

Maybe I'm just venting but I feel extremely disappointed with my purchase now...
You're not alone, feel exactly the same. Bought my Spark early January. Apart from the timing, I've had nothing but issues with my Spark since they removed OTG in last app version.

You're not alone, feel exactly the same. Bought my Spark early January. Apart from the timing, I've had nothing but issues with my Spark since they removed OTG in last app version.
They put it back on yesterday

I'm in the "love my Spark but not I'm gutted club too". When I got it a month ago the Spark was something of a compromise. I knew the 2-axis gimbal, short range (UK) and limited video quality would bother me somewhat but I was willing to compromise because it was so small, unobtrusive and portable. I love it and have managed to get some great shots, however, that's not a compromise I'd need to make any more. The Mavic Air has a 3-axis gimbal, 4x the Spark's range in the UK, much better video including 120fps slow-mo and folds up even smaller; it's literally everything I want in a small compact drone.

You are the "smart" drone purchaser! IMO, people that recently bought a Mavic or a Spark and now are regretting the purchase or having second thoughts really didn't think it through before purchasing a drone. They didn't think what their needs or wants were and just bought something.

I'm with you. My Spark is my "go to" drone. Its quick to set-up and get in the air, its compact and perfect for travel, it captures videos and pictures that look great on computers and TVs. My Spark is the equivalent of my multi-tool.

And for me having all the drones I do, I don't see anything "new" the Mavic Air would bring to my AP capabilities.

With all that said, doesn't mean I'm not going to buy one as I'm a tech/gadget guy so I will but I'm not seeing it as an upgrade for what I use a drone for....

I'm in the "love my Spark but not I'm gutted club too". When I got it a month ago the Spark was something of a compromise. I knew the 2-axis gimbal, short range (UK) and limited video quality would bother me somewhat but I was willing to compromise because it was so small, unobtrusive and portable. I love it and have managed to get some great shots, however, that's not a compromise I'd need to make any more. The Mavic Air has a 3-axis gimbal, 4x the Spark's range in the UK, much better video including 120fps slow-mo and folds up even smaller; it's literally everything I want in a small compact drone.

Reactions: VenomousSVT
I wish the Mavic Air a great selling success. So much it puts Spark sales at risk.

Because then I see DJI giving the Spark RAW support, eventually.

Since we now know why DJI held it back: to have better control over sales of Spar vs. Air.

I wish the Mavic Air a great selling success. So much it puts Spark sales at risk.

Because then I see DJI giving the Spark RAW support, eventually.

Since we now know why DJI held it back: to have better control over sales of Spar vs. Air.

That’s like buying a Canon point and shoot, then Canon releasing the 80D and expecting them to put all the 80D features on the point and shoot.

DJI aren’t going to put RAW on the Spark, as that’s not the market the Spark is aimed at. It is the point and shoot of drones. The Mavics are the DSLR.

Reactions: Sparkbart
I don’t know why you have a political opinion on the issue.

How is it political? I’m just being realistic.

I’m just amazed that people bought Sparks fully aware of what it can and can’t do, and now some of them are moaning that it doesn’t do something the new product can.

I’ve had and currently own numerous quadcopters, and DJI have never put new features on to older models.

How is it political? I’m just being realistic.
“Spark is aimed at ...” is an opinion and the way you express it, it is political.

DJI regularly adds features to older drones, like pano mode to Mavic.

There is no technical reason to disable the RAW feature in the Spark, nor would it be useless to current or prospective Spark owners.

As it becomes clear now, DJI just wanted to retain a tool to steer sales of Spark vs. Air. Should sales of Air florish, I see DJI add RAW for Spark as it will increase overall sales at no cost.

IMO, people that recently bought a Mavic or a Spark and now are regretting the purchase or having second thoughts really didn't think it through before purchasing a drone. They didn't think what their needs or wants were and just bought something.

I doubt that's true for many people who bought a spark. Not sure about anyone else, but I can't just casually go out and drop £600+.

I checked out all the reviews and comparison shots from a number of different dones and it basically came down to a choice between the mavic and the spark. I decided it would suit my needs better to take the hit on image quality and battery life for increased portability and a lower profile. However less than a year later they launch the mavic air which I'd presume is the drone many "prosumers" actually wanted.

I understand where both drones sit it the current dji family and who their intended audiences are...however it's the relese that bothers me. What advantage was their of putting the spark out first?

I can't afford to drop £600+ either, but I'm probably still going to :D

I shot this video on my Spark today while out for a walk and I'm fairly pleased with the result. However, due to the fairly strong breeze, some of the footage was unsuitable because of the 2-axis gimbal and you can see the occasional flicker even in this final edit. The 2 vs 3-axis gimbal in a small form factor is the big (actually massive) game changer for me. Also, the more I learn about video editing/colour grading, etc the more I realise how limited the Spark is in term of what you can do. Post-processing, longer flight time, slow-motion, 4K are all things I would like but don't view as essential. However, the 3-axis gimbal is, as any shake in my footage renders it useless in my view.

Also, while walking around I had the Spark in my pocket a lot but it never felt like it was designed to be casually put in a pocket between flights. Folded up, it looks like the Air would more naturally slip into a pocket.

All that said, I should point out that I still think the Spark is an exceptional drone for its pricing point. It's just that, for me, the Air is worth stretching to in order to meet my needs/wants.

Reactions: Lastrexking

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melba Walsh