Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

[Noobie Question] Spark - really that unreliable?

Rockdeme

Join
Oct 8, 2017
Hi there!

I’m looking to buy myself a Spark, but after browsing through the forums, I have some concerns.

There are numerous posts about Sparks flying away, becoming unresponsive on an open field, far from any kind of interference, or simply just dropping from the sky. (There was a particular video, when a Mavic pilot had to rescue the Spark with a makeshift hook, after the Spark just fell like a rock.) I’ve never had a DJI product and I don’t have the experience to decide whether these issues or caused by piloting errors or the product itself. Could you give me your opinion or some kind of verdict regarding these issues, or the drone itself.

Thanks!

Seems like most of the drones being lost are due to some sort of pilot error. Flying in high winds, magnetic interference, lack of compass calibration, etc. Just do yourself a favor and get the fly more combo so you can get the remote and spare battery. Also an "OTG" cable will make your connection of the phone and remote much more reliable.

I’m looking to buy myself a Spark, but after browsing through the forums, I have some concerns.
Forums in general are a place where most people go when they need help. You're always going to see people discussing issues.

There are numerous posts about Sparks flying away, becoming unresponsive on an open field, far from any kind of interference, or simply just dropping from the sky.
Prior to the firmware release on August 21st, there have been some cases where Sparks shut off mid-flight. Those issues seemed to have gone away now.

I’ve never had a DJI product and I don’t have the experience to decide
Drones aren't perfect (nor is DJI), but it's the best manufacturer to go with if you're interested in taking advantage of the best available technology. As of today, DJI makes the best consumer drones on the market.

Could you give me your opinion or some kind of verdict regarding these issues, or the drone itself.
You'd really have to look at each case closely to determine whether or not those incidents were caused by pilot error or an aircraft malfunction.

Reactions: MrMcFly and pvitale
I was the same, and have a similar post somewhere (despite having had other DJi drones in the past) - but as @msinger said above, people come here when things go wrong. It's rare that people come and post when things are going swimmingly. For every Spark out in the wild that goes wrong, there must be a whole load more that have been and continue to work correctly.

The best bit of advice regarding the Spark is pretty simple. Read the manual.

So many people come here and it's clear they haven't. Or, they haven't followed the correct pre-flight checks, or they've just been a dick.that's when the Sparks meet the deck/tree/building.

Hi there!

There are numerous posts about Sparks flying away, becoming unresponsive on an open field, far from any kind of interference, or simply just dropping from the sky. (There was a particular video, when a Mavic pilot had to rescue the Spark with a makeshift hook, after the Spark just fell like a rock.) I’ve never had a DJI product and I don’t have the experience to decide whether these issues or caused by piloting errors or the product itself. Could you give me your opinion or some kind of verdict regarding these issues, or the drone itself.

Thanks!

Seems like most of the drones being lost are due to some sort of pilot error. Flying in high winds, magnetic interference, lack of compass calibration, etc. Just do yourself a favor and get the fly more combo so you can get the remote and spare battery. Also an "OTG" cable will make your connection of the phone and remote much more reliable.
You dont need the OTG, it really makes no difference in strength signal, the pilot just needs to tweak the wifi signal between 2.4 & 5 GHz, 2.4 = long range, 5 = better image reception, less range.

I think I read that you can only switch if you have an iPhone or iPad. Android doesn’t let you switch.

Reactions: pvitale
The WiFi settings panel in the Android app is only for selecting WiFi channel when you're not using a remote. If you are using a remote control and start messing with this setting then your Spark will reset its wireless module for WiFi comms with the Android device, and unpair from the remote.

I have a problem with the Lenovo tab4 tablet. I do not want to work with the otg cable.is there any solution?

when I switch to 2.4 ghz I can not connect more. Onli with the otg cable
When you switch to 2.4G, the Spark - RC link uses then that band and the link RC to your phone use 5.8G band. Many android phones refuse to use the 5.8G channels used by the Spark in CE mode. Then your phone just don't see these wifi channels (149 - 165). I had that issue with a Samsung S6 and a Tab S2 and 4 other cheap android phones/tab. The S8 is ok as ios devices.

I own and have owned multiple DJI drones. IMO, they are some of the best on the market. Far less problems than the competition. I know as I've owned Yuneec as well as a couple other brands.

IMO, the key is to be prepared. Read all you can, watch all the DJI videos and other peoples videos on Youtube. Become familiar with all the buttons and functions on the remote and App so you aren't "hunting" for them when needed. Take your time and create a pre-flight checklist. Don't ignore warnings and message. Don't be that person that gets their drone, unboxes it then tries to fly it immediately...

The first thing I did when I decided to buy a drone was to "accept" that any drone can crash or be lost. How much was I willing to gamble on a lost of crashed drone? Once I got over that hurdle I've been comfortable flying....

My suggestion is to make sure you choose the correct drone for what you want and need. Meaning don't buy a Spark expecting Mavic performance or buy a Mavic expecting Phantom 4 Pro image quality....

The Spark is my first drone and it's great! Watch everything you can on You tube, read the manual and as mentioned before most flyaways occur do to pilot error, ie. Not checking that the wifi channel you are using to connect your Spark to your controller is as free as possible of interference, if it's a red line on the channel your on you change channels, if it's red for all the channels, don't fly in that area at all.

I have the fly more combo and still no problem with Spark flying away or falling from the sky all of a sudden. In case the gesture Mode where u dont use a Controller or Smartphone doesn't work, the connection to the controller always works. Love that little thing. The vid quality is ok, with a few settings on the PC it can look pretty good. To see some exaples visit me on YouTube, EdBad. Video: Bridge surf for example.

Sent from my SM-G935F using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Reactions: uasav8r
If I asked you to send me some sum of money in cash with the promise that I would send you some valuable article, would you do it? Would you trust me that far? Would you believe me? Of course not! Why then do so many people believe the word of some unknown party who tells a good story about negative experience when the probable truth is that the never laid eyes on the subject? The only thing that tells me, is their ability to tell a good story, whether fiction or not. Get a Spark. Fly it safely. You will love it.

Reactions: Kilrah
I think you are being overly negative. First off, how many people on this forum actually know each other personally? So fact is we are mostly strangers to each other. Secondly, sure there are probably a few people that would sign up for a forum with the sole purpose of bashing a product. But that is far, few, and in-between. Then to what end or purpose? Most people are smart enough to know when someone is simply bashing a product. Most people are smart enough to take anything on the 'net with a grain of salt (at least I hope so) whether its positive of negative.

The purpose of a forum is to share knowledge and experiences. Whatever hobby I have, I join message boards/forums related to it. I learn alot from others and am able to share my experience as well hoping I can help someone out. "Strangers" have helped me out more than once and I hope I've done the same for others. If we don't "trust" each other to some degree why even post?

If I asked you to send me some sum of money in cash with the promise that I would send you some valuable article, would you do it? Would you trust me that far? Would you believe me? Of course not! Why then do so many people believe the word of some unknown party who tells a good story about negative experience when the probable truth is that the never laid eyes on the subject? The only thing that tells me, is their ability to tell a good story, whether fiction or not. Get a Spark. Fly it safely. You will love it.

Sorry, I wasn't even thinking about this forum. Most newbies are probably not long-time members here, so they get their information in the wilds, as it were. It was in that context that I made my statement. Places where one person can have a thousand voices. And there are enough of those to dissuade the unwary. Why would they? I'll turn that question around: why do people create software virii? I only know that they do, not why.

Also, I now see what I said can be taken too far. Trust and verify can work too in some situations. I think that must be the OP goal here.

I own a Spark and Mavic. One has already dropped into the harbour for no apparent reason. Ok, who knows who is to blame for that (I have my opinions) but I still went out and bought a second Spark because yes it's the best in it's class but in my opinion does have it's faults.

The main thing I'd like to say is the amount of time I spend trying to get the Spark to work as it should is huge compared to the amount I spend with the Mavic (none). All I'm doing is testing, troubleshooting and worrying if the thing will come home or not. The Mavic is just plain fun and reliable.

As msinger said above drones aren't perfect, but for 2 products made by the same company their reliability (in my case) is night and day.

Reactions: Harnanto
Hi there!

Thanks!
Bottom line I am newer to drones but have purchased three dji drones. Spark, phantom 4 pro and magic pro. The spark fly more package is the best dollar for dollar. You will not be disappointed I promise. Just do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar