Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Night flying with the spark? Silly or?

rcflyingaddict

Join
Sep 5, 2017
Are folks successfully flying their sparks at night? I enjoy flying my toy drones especially at night and curious I'd the spark can fit this bill without a lot of drama.

Reactions: pvitale
Are folks successfully flying their sparks at night? I enjoy flying my toy drones especially at night and curious I'd the spark can fit this bill without a lot of drama.
Depends on where you are (you do not mention what country).
In most locations night flying is illegal unless you are certified to do so.

Reactions: Sparkbart
I'm aware of the legality. My q is more about how well does the spark do it. My use case would be flying around backyard at night.. Same as I do with toy drones. Just curious if the spark self destructs or is good to go in the not so bright light.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

The obstacle avoidance won't work -- or will be squirrelly. Best to turn them off. This means you need to be good at manual landing.. (or turn the sensors on and light up a landing area really well.)

The camera won't be much use either, even in fairly lit areas. Other than that, have at it! But a couple strobes on it for awesome UFO fun -- they are tiny and light but man they are BRIGHT. Good if you decide to take it around the neighborhood for spin. :)
STROBON Cree LED Strobe Light - Phantom Help

BTW - If you're in the US, night flying as a hobbyist is 100% legal. I would argue that it's much safer than day time flying, but that's for another thread.

The obstacle avoidance won't work -- or will be squirrelly. Best to turn them off. This means you need to be good at manual landing.. (or turn the sensors on and light up a landing area really well.)

The camera won't be much use either, even in fairly lit areas. Other than that, have at it! But a couple strobes on it for awesome UFO fun -- they are tiny and light but man they are BRIGHT. Good if you decide to take it around the neighborhood for spin. :)
STROBON Cree LED Strobe Light - Phantom Help

BTW - If you're in the US, night flying as a hobbyist is 100% legal. I would argue that it's much safer than day time flying, but that's for another thread.
Nice - I ordered some of the strobes for my P4P and Mavic just have not gotten around to putting them on but good idea.

Since the obstacle avoidance is based on infra red - yes it will. VPS however which is visible light (camera based) will not.
Yes, nothing said by DJI about light for obstacle avoidance.
For the vision system it is less clear as they indicate globally a minimum light in the section related to the VPS camera and the altitude sensor but I would guess it apply only to the camera as the altitude sensor is also infra-red based.
Take off and land from a lighted area would help as practicing step by step.
Main issue will be probably the orientation of the Spark if you fly only by watching it.

My favorite flying time is late at night when no one is in the park next to my house. I climb up ontop of the play structure for a good vantage point and whip the spark around in sport mode!

Reactions: pvitale
My favorite flying time is late at night when no one is in the park next to my house. I climb up ontop of the play structure for a good vantage point and whip the spark around in sport mode!
That's my plan to use similar to how i use/fly my toy drones and one of the fav times to fly them is at night.

I have had no problems except the occasional crash into a tree! It is dark afterall

I turn off obstacle avoidance on my Mavic -- is there anything that one needs to turn off on the Spark or is it possible to turn off?

Is that a metaphor?
'Yes officer, I like climbing up to the top of the children's play area at night and whipping out my Spark in sports mode' :cool:

Wow those are great! How high were you?

Thank you! It took them a few weeks ago, I think +/- 300 m high. It was windy, so I set the camera to 1600 iso for higher shutter speeds...

The Spark doesn't really have the best camera for night shots (small lenses don't capture much light)...my P3S does a better job to be honest. AFAIK the Mavic actually has the best camera for night shots.

Hi, I live in southern Chile. This are pictures from Puerto Montt in my first night fly over a city.
View attachment 1210 View attachment 1210 View attachment 1211
Nice capture! I took mine up last night and all was well. I'm still getting used to the 'limited' range this has compared to my other drones so did not want to venture too high or too far until I do some more testing. It was quite fun to zip around the park and I think I'll be using it for that very purpose most often.

The Spark doesn't really have the best camera for night shots (small lenses don't capture much light)...my P3S does a better job to be honest. AFAIK the Mavic actually has the best camera for night shots.
My P4P is the best night cam I have .... MP has been ok but I will have to side by side some.

Hi I live in a windy environment and sometimes I fly my Spark in my back yard at night when the wind has died just to get my fix. Yes the camera is not very good at night and if you take a video you loose the red lights making it very hard to see so I just fly it and take a few pictures. It's relaxing but you still have to stay on your toes. So it's not silly to fly your spark at night but this night it was crazy LOL9-9-17aa.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis