Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Newbie lost drone please help

Kylie Fabri

Join
Dec 26, 2017
On christmas day my drone was 3 hours old.
Had GPS flew up about 95m and got the message gps signal low. Hit rth and it began to return. As you can see from the flight record. It got to a point gps signal lost and it went into atti mode and we had no control. Then it flew away. Find my drone has not been helpful. We are surrounded by dense bush land. I have sent the flight to dji for their opinion. Any suggestions or thoughts. I am so upset.

Attachments

• Collage 2017-12-27 12_49_33.jpg
    Collage 2017-12-27 12_49_33.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 123
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Hope you find it, FWIW, if GPS signal is low, then hitting RTH isn’t the best idea IMO. Since GPS is low it will have a hard time locating it’s home position and then fly in another direction confused of its whereabouts.

Next time this happens I would reccomend taking over the controls and trying your best to manually fly it back to you.

Sorry for your loss.

I don't think there is much you can do without the drone even if you had DJI refresh. If you can't find it, send the logs to DJI and see what they say it might have been a malfunction, but no offense, I doubt it based on what I see on your screen capture. I'll admit that I'm only taking a guess without the flight logs and I'm no expert at reading them...

Your tale is one that should be taken as a warning or lesson to others. This only further illustrates what I personally believe about drone flying. One should know how to fly their drone in ATTI or manual mode. Practicing in Sport mode is the next best thing. Secondly, don't ignore warnings displayed to you. Your Screen captures clearly shows the GPS signal was weak, and RTH could not be initiated.

And looking at the distance and altitude, it wasn't that far or high. Therefore I'm guessing you could see it (LOS) and should have been able to control it and bring it back.

Sorry if this sounds harsh... its just the truth as I see it...

Good Luck...

Reactions: Lastrexking
So lets troubleshoot, First were you wearing a apple watch? Were you standing in your garage? Was any metal on you or around you? This could be a person standing next to you as well. After the last couple updates. I noticed it didn't like me flyin in my house, do to all my electronics going off. I had all kinds of warnings about interference. The spark doesn't like to share its space with interfering objects. Like another member said, learn in manual mode or atti mode. So when gps is lost you can fly toward home base. as long as there is a video feed I am good. I flew rc planes and those are LOS. I have crashed many in my time in the hobby.

just noticed on the screen, were you flying with just the phone? If so there are known reports of fly aways with the phones only. If so was your phone a android? The phone has a limited range and drops constantly at distances.

I'm curious as well with this. Scary that this happened. Id like to know what could have possibly caused this.

I'm curious as well with this. Scary that this happened. Id like to know what could have possibly caused this.

Fog is bad news for intelligent drones like Spark. It dramatically lowers GPS signal and can easily cut it out completely, and it blocks the proximity sensors and cameras.

If it tries to RTH without GPS, it will still try to go up to an RTH height before moving. But with no GPS and no sight of ground, it relies on the IR range sensor on the bottom. The fog reflects this, so it looks like it's within a foot or two of the ground, and Spark goes up. It keeps doing this until the pressure sensor tells it that it has risen up too far. And there, it's basically stuck. It thinks it's on the ground, and it thinks it's at max elevation. You should still have some remote control over it, though at reduced speeds while it's in RTH mode though. Even if you cancel RTH it may take some time to get it back down because it's going to be in "landing" mode (and speed) all the way down because the IR sensors see fog as ground a few feet below it all the way down. But you need to take control and get it DOWN as soon as possible. If you've lost remote control over it your options are really limited, you just have to go about below it and wait for it to try an emergency landing due to low battery. This may not go well if it's too high up when it decides to come down, because it's not going to come down very fast and may lose power before reaching the ground. (so watch out for plummeting drones!)

Remember that if it has lost GPS and can't use the forward and downward cameras to hold position (due to fog) then it will be prone to drift in the wind, which may be quite high at 300ft. I think that's the biggest problem. It's hard to hear it when it's that far up, and the fog dampens the sound too, so you've got a tough job staying in the vicinity of where it's going to be coming down. (and it could be awhile if your batteries have a lot of power left in them)

I think the moral of the story here is "Be very careful when flying in foggy weather. Fly (not RTH) your Spark back to you if you have the slightest hint of losing your remote/phone connection. Never fly into clouds where you can't see your Spark."

Reactions: Spark 317
Hi Kylie, follow the instructions in the first reply above to post a link to your flight txt log. Someone here can interpret the flight log and tell you exactly what happened. It won't bring your spark back but it can help you understand what happened.

On christmas day my drone was 3 hours old.
Had GPS flew up about 95m and got the message gps signal low. Hit rth and it began to return. As you can see from the flight record. It got to a point gps signal lost and it went into atti mode and we had no control. Then it flew away. Find my drone has not been helpful. We are surrounded by dense bush land. I have sent the flight to dji for their opinion. Any suggestions or thoughts. I am so upset.
Sorry for your loss! I had an almost identical issue a few months back and after entering ATTI mode my drone took off and ended in a tree. I got mine back eventually and sent it off to DJI. They very kindly replaced it (didn’t have refresh). I’m pretty sure it was all a fault with my compass reading. If the compass is off (bad calibration)it can take a while to show up but when it does the drone will drop the GPS and you are on your own in ATTI mode. There is no redundancy in the spark (1 compass and 1 IMU) so everyone really needs to know what to do and how the drone will behave when there is no GPS. If there is wind around it’s gonna drift quick!! Hope you find it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bornzero2none