Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Moved (Some idiot is going to ruin it for everyone...)

Dan Showalter

Join
Dec 7, 2017
On the news today, was a drone sighting at a major airport in the UK. This delayed many flights of people trying to get home for the holidays. It was spotted on multiple occasions and kept the airport shut down. I love flying my drone, but also am a passenger on several flights and don't want my life in the hands of some idiot.

How can this be dealt with so drones are not banned?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Reactions: tmarez
DJI drones can’t fly in known restricted airspace like major airports. Not all drones are made by DJI but big companies like DJI may have to implement the same on there drones. Updating DJI flight databases may soon become required to fly IMO.

Even news that is not provable about what I call "The Danger Drone" is going to get people and governments up in arms. You only need to look at history to see what is coming.
FEAR = REGULATIONS

They never say "Hello" to you
Until you get it on the red-line overload
You'll never know what you can do
Until you get it up as high as you can go

Theme song for some

IF we think our range is terrible now, just keep posting illegal flights here and on youtube. They will limit us to beginner range if that. In the US the FAA and Homeland Security monitor these forums and are getting a picture of what some drone pilots are doing. This isnt paranoia. They've said as much, and the picture isn't pretty from what they read. Quit posting flights that arent within the regulations. It also increases harassment for legitimate pilots from ground based observers.

Here in my neighborhood (Northern PA...) drones have been banned from State Parks, various municipalities, etc. I've witnessed a near fistfight at a marina when a TV station photographer attempted to take some general drone footage of the marina for a news spot on an upcoming event. Some pampered boat owner didn't like his "privacy" being interrupted, and it got ugly. So, we have some work to do in the public relations area, but unfortunately the damage has already been done. Many consider us to be Peeping Tom's, zooming in on their bedrooms.... I've heard it all.
Some of the irresponsible You Tube videos I see support these prejudices. So, if we don't want to be regulated (or shot) out of the sky, we need to become the best ambassadors for the hobby possible. I like this little spark because it's tiny and descreet.... (I also toggle the red LED'S OFF). I try to never fly over something that would bleed should my Spark ever decide to crash.... I think that's my biggest fear.

Reactions: Highflyer
On the news today, was a drone sighting at a major airport in the UK. This delayed many flights of people trying to get home for the holidays. It was spotted on multiple occasions and kept the airport shut down. I love flying my drone, but also am a passenger on several flights and don't want my life in the hands of some idiot.

How can this be dealt with so drones are not banned?

Just saw some photos of Police out on the Tarmac with Shotguns and now the Army has been called in

Now ARMY called in to hunt Gatwick drone pilots wrecking Xmas for 250,000

Coming soon to a Park near You!

So this seems to be an INTENTIONAL act?? Have there been multiple drones involved?

One report said 2 drones but whos counting. So stupid, I mean I am in the Phoenix Central Corridor and the flight path for landings at Sky Harbor are directly above us at 2-3000 feet (guessing) I am sandwiched between between multiple airports and hospitals so its a green zone but I have spotted Police and Medical helicopters flying lower than 400 ft so my highest is around 90..(around the golf course next door). If I hear a helicopter that goes down to 40 and I bring it home. My neighbors know I sometimes fly and have no issues YET!

I’ve been debating getting another Spark after mine flew away last month, and I def want to eventually have a further, longer flying drone, like the platinum, but I can’t get away from appreciating the size of the spark. This topic makes me realize how having a spark might be must, even if I do upgrade to a bigger drone. When drones become more regulated, the spark might be more accepted compared to bigger drones. It also makes me think in regards to a spark 2, dji would be foolish not to keep the spark on the market for years to come because of it’s size, and if they do certainly they’d upgrade it.

According to German news media, two arrests have been made and it appears they are militant environmentalists. The drones were not hobby drones, but professional. They used an Israeli Military system to track them down.

Reactions: sadatoni
A DJI guy told me that they have already been offering a system to those who want it which can detect the presence and location of DJI drones in an area. Presumably, the system picks up something like an IFF signal from the drone. He told me they are used by event organisers who want to be aware of where drones are so they can take action if necessary. But that only identifies DJI drones, of course.

Reactions: johneem
I live in Maryland right outside of Washington DC. I am in the outer ring of the Washington DC No Fly Zone implemented after 911. I can't even fly my drone in my house. Outside of recreational flying I bought the drone to inspect my roof. I am in 100% in backing the No Fly Zone.....for planes... that can reach Washington DC. My drone can't even reach the city border. I have to drive 8 miles just to fly my drone. For drones the No Fly Zone should be 3 or 4 miles radius of the city center not 15 miles. We also had a Drone flyer here who flew his drone in front of a helicopter that was putting down fire suppressor material on a forest fire. The helicopter had to make evasive maneuvers, the perp was caught and faces jail time+ fines.
According to German news media, two arrests have been made and it appears they are militant environmentalists
We have had terrible Forest fires here especially California and as Pres Trump stated it was mismanagement by the federal gov. The government was pressured by militant environmentalists to not cut ANY trees down. What happens then is there are too many Trees and they can not compete for water and some die and are like dried kindling. Jerry Brown quietly conceded Pres Trump was right and ordered the most aggressive forestry plan in 60 years where they will build temp roads for loggers to go in and clear out 1,000s of acres of forests removing dead and dying trees....the environmentalists are having a fit even with the info presented to them and just this week there was another study this one from the Max Plank institute saying Global warming is caused by the sun..it's getting bigger and hotter every day.

Last edited:
Gatwick

The airports have to take some of this drone issue they earn vast sums of money every year as camera technology is developing and getting cheaper they can ring fence airport boundaries also employing dediacted fast reaction persons to patrol in rotation would help this situation but in the uk after this disatrus episode honest decent drone pilots will suffer as the general public will tar us wilth the same brush as these people who should have the full force of the law thrown at them not forgetting the publicity they will recieve

Gatwick

The airports have to take some of this drone issue they earn vast sums of money every year as camera technology is developing and getting cheaper they can ring fence airport boundaries also employing dediacted fast reaction persons to patrol in rotation would help this situation but in the uk after this disatrus episode honest decent drone pilots will suffer as the general public will tar us wilth the same brush as these people who should have the full force of the law thrown at them not forgetting the publicity they will recieve
I was trying to fly my spark off the beach at sennen cove last summer but because it was near (about 3miles) to the airport the dji technology would not allow it to take off.

I really love flying my spark however i always feel cautious when flying not in my own piloting ability just because some one may confront me or have a problem...i always fly in open spaces away from property and people and I'm really annoyed by inconsiderate people like this who give this passion a bad rep. Rant over sorry.

These drone fliers really infuriate me, as a amateur and (as of a month ago)professional drone pilot. They do the classic 'spoiling it for everyone'. Interestingly, the couple involved have been let off- it seems they had the wrong people. I had various friends and colleagues ask me for my opinion on the Gatwick drones, and they were astonished to hear that these drones must have been hacked to avoid no-fly zones- in other words, it wasn't a mistake, but deliberate sabotage.

I feel we need to educate people more, and explain how many failsafes are in our drones.

I feel we Spark fliers can do a lot for drone ambassadorship. Our tiny drone is non-threatening, and I never fly without permission. if someone approaches me in a public space, I offer to take a photo of them from the air, and I've never had a bad experience when flying my drone. In fact, most people just want to have a look and are really curious.

Reactions: Ken_Whitewolf
DJI drones can’t fly in known restricted airspace like major airports. Not all drones are made by DJI but big companies like DJI may have to implement the same on there drones. Updating DJI flight databases may soon become required to fly IMO.
Not difficult to disable the geofencing or restricted zones in DJI drones, then you can fly it anywhere you like

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast