Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mobile only questions

mix123

Join
Dec 27, 2018
So far I've only flown with the RC. I want to try using my phone. Android. Just a couple questions:

- If phone loses connection what does the spark do? Hover or RTH? If I get back in range will it reconnect to the phone?

- If doing active track and I lock phone. Will connection be lost?

Hi,

It really depends where you fly but controlling Spark with the phone only doesn't give you much range. I'm not sure how it will cope with active track but what I have found (with the iPhone) is when the wifi signal was lost (video below), It didn't automatically reconnect and I had to scramble to settings to try to 'find' the wifi again which was unsuccessful. My experience is that I took it about 25m away and I lost control. All sorts of errors came up on screen (GPS lost, signal lost etc), It returned home automatically very slowly but not until it hovered in the air for about 1 minute.

If you have it on active track and are moving then depending on the setting you have chosen, it will return to the home point set upon take off. So, if you are on a mountain bike and it follows you for a few 100 metres then suddenly encounters an obstacle such as a branch it'll stop.. by the time you realise it may have gone out of range of your phone and lost signal.. it'll then fly up in RTH and then fly back in the opposite direction!

I would say using the phone to control the Spark is purely for flying it at low altitudes, with beginner mode on and well within eye sight.

Good Luck and safe flying!

Reactions: Knowhere
Thanks for a helpful response especially about heading in the opposite direction. Hadn't considered that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schmidtrobert