Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic Owners - When do you fly your Spark?

rcflyingaddict

Join
Sep 5, 2017
Curious how owners of the MP or P series that also own the Spark ... how are you using your Spark - when are you flying it and why? I have a MP, and just got a P4P last week and for some crazy reason (it's the addiction i'm sure) am looking at you "SPARK".

Hi. I have a Phantom 1, Phantom 4, Inspire 1, Mavic Pro, and the Spark. I fly the Spark the most. It's the simplest, basic camera and takes good enough pictures. I travel with it- been to Europe a few times and to Mexico. Best thing about it is it's not intimidating to the public. It's quieter and not as "threatening" as other drones. It's tough, without a relatively tough gimbal. Enjoy the hand launching and catching. It's not a long distance flyer, but fun none the less.
Good question, thanks.

I have a MP and a Spark both. I travel a lot for work and the Spark is easier to mess with around the hotel. Plus, if the weather is bad, put the prop guards on and torment the dogs and the wife inside the house.

Nice - How is wind with the Spark? Do you find times that you are not able to fly due to environmental conditions?

Also I plan to get the flymore so will have the controller, how has the range been?

The spark is my goto camera now. Spark on, connect to wifi and fly. Since there is no tap to focus, i just hit record and go.

It's even much better now with the so-called mods. I don't have the artificial wifi limits and with the additional mavic modes it makes it a full fledged drone. 10m/s in all direction with a 200 height and radius.
Best is that i fly everywhere without getting harassed. With the 10ms vertical boost, no one even notices that i have launched. And 2 fingers on the screen just looks like you are gaming.

I do a ton of road and mountain biking. My spark fits in my camelback bag much better then the Mavic and if I take a nasty spill id much rather break the Spark then the Mavic. Also, I can take a battery pack with me and charge on the go.

I do a ton of road and mountain biking. My spark fits in my camelback bag much better then the Mavic and if I take a nasty spill id much rather break the Spark then the Mavic. Also, I can take a battery pack with me and charge on the go.
Avid cyclist... More road than se days not sure how I would fit the spark in my jersey though. When you road where do you put it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Yamsyamsyams
I absolutely adore my Mavic, but I find myself throwing the Spark up in the air a lot more. Aside from being a fairly decent camera with an ND filter, it's just super easy to launch and enjoy. So many options. I also think it's the most fun DJI drone to fly based on it's agility. It's not a race drone, but it's a naughty little #%$! It reminds me of a prepared Miata on a tight road course.

I absolutely adore my Mavic, but I find myself throwing the Spark up in the air a lot more. Aside from being a fairly decent camera with an ND filter, it's just super easy to launch and enjoy. So many options. I also think it's the most fun DJI drone to fly based on it's agility. It's not a race drone, but it's a naughty little #%$! It reminds me of a prepared Miata on a tight road course.
Which nds did you go with? Polar pro?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

I have a Phantom 3 Advanced,Mavic Pro and the Spark. My Mavic is out of service at the moment so I'm really glad I bought the Spark to fly while the Mavic goes in for service. The Spark is so easy to use,get up in the air, back down on the ground and easy to transport. The wind does affect it more then the other bigger drones but it is powerful.

Thanks for all the replies - Looks like I'll need to figure out where to fly my spark. Sunrise yellow Fly More on it's way. Sure hoping it's a good back yard flier.

Thanks for all the replies - Looks like I'll need to figure out where to fly my spark. Sunrise yellow Fly More on it's way. Sure hoping it's a good back yard flier.
It's a great anywhere flier,,love mine to bits, it's pretty good in the wind to, great camera and all round awesome little quad :)

As you can see in my Signature, I've got a bunch of different drones, while there is a lot of cross over, I'll use each if I have a specific purpose.

My "Go To" drone is my Phantom 4. I'll throw that in the back of my truck if I'm out and think I maybe somewhere that may provide some good video/pics.

My Spark is my "toy" AP Drone. Its really a novelty for me as I'm "tech guy". I like tech toys. I use it when I want to show friends or people about how small and capable drones are. If I have to fly in tight quarters or find I need an indoor Drone, I'll use it for that.

As you can see in my Signature, I've got a bunch of different drones, while there is a lot of cross over, I'll use each if I have a specific purpose.

My "Go To" drone is my Phantom 4. I'll throw that in the back of my truck if I'm out and think I maybe somewhere that may provide some good video/pics.

My Spark is my "toy" AP Drone. Its really a novelty for me as I'm "tech guy". I like tech toys. I use it when I want to show friends or people about how small and capable drones are. If I have to fly in tight quarters or find I need an indoor Drone, I'll use it for that.
Yep - defiantly need a fleet of drones as each one has it's purpose. My sunrise yellow will primary be a park flier. I'm surprised you did not say your Inspire was your 'indoor' drone :) I hear the I2 does nicely indoors.

I trend to towards using the spark when I want to show kids what a drone can do because of the hand control capability.

I think I also fly the spark more because it's less of a loss to lose it, over the P4P or Mavic.

The OP should be going the other way and look at getting a Inspire 2, because that is where it will invariably lead if you want it to be a photography tool

I trend to towards using the spark when I want to show kids what a drone can do because of the hand control capability.

I think I also fly the spark more because it's less of a loss to lose it, over the P4P or Mavic.

The OP should be going the other way and look at getting a Inspire 2, because that is where it will invariably lead if you want it to be a photography tool
Interesting point ... Back in the day I used to be on a first name basis with a Clide at 420 9th Ave, New York, NY (B&H Photo). My amateur photography hobby led me to stop over in NY any time I was crossing the country for business travel after the latest glass/gear and led to spending way too much on Phase One gear but that's another story.

I picked up my P4P in the quest for a bit better glass,,, I like the 20mp for still but I find I like my P4P the least (it's only 1 week old LOL). I think the P5X or MP2 (not MPP) that has form factor of MP with optics of P4P or better will be the ticket. Today is a good example where I was in the hills with a bit of wind and still testing my Spark. I took the P4P up a few hundred meters and noticed that it was struggling in the wind (was not more than 20 gusts and it came over a ridge so there would be no wind then gust). Took my MP up in same conditions and it held like a rock, even when coming up the same ridge. P4P is a lug gable and I'm willing to lug it if it performs better than the MP in 'all ways' but I am finding that it's only marginally better optically (for my uses) and all other areas it's just not as good (again for my uses). I'd be tempted to some of my pro gear up in the sky but would need a hexacopter of some sort ,, Matrice 600 w/Ronin would do but it gets back to why I got out of flying Giant scale RC ... one crash will/can set you back 15-20K (really). Matrice w/Ronin = 6k +/-, if I take my 1DX + Glass (10K) - so you quickly get back into the pucker factor. Flying my dji drones all with dji care is relaxing, would not want to change that.

Back to the topic - I flew the spark up on a big hill today ... some wind and it handled it like champ. The only thing I don't like about the Spark so far is range (was fine up on the hill as it was isolated from interference) is the battery life -- just when I'm having fun it's time to bring it down whereas with my P4P and MP to be honest I'm ready to come down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar