Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Litchi vs. Autopilot vs. Go 4?

ProfPaul

Join
Oct 30, 2017
Loc
Lockport, NY, USA
I've seen a few posts that mention Litchi and Autopilot.

Could someone who uses either or both of the alternative applications please explain them, as well as the pros and cons of Litchi and Autopilot versus DJI's Go 4 software?

I've seen a few posts that mention Litchi and Autopilot.

Could someone who uses either or both of the alternative applications please explain them, as well as the pros and cons of Litchi and Autopilot versus DJI's Go 4 software?

You're asking for a lot of work that's already been done.

Google is your friend...but in the meantime, you can click here.

I found this video comparison that I found helpful, and learned that there are other applications. I can't find DJI's GSPro, which is mentioned, in the Android store, though.

You're asking for a lot of work that's already been done.

Google is your friend...but in the meantime, you can click here.

Thank you. Google is my friend, but time is my enemy. Your link is exactly what I had hoped to discover from someone with more experience.

Thank you. Google is my friend, but time is my enemy. Your link is exactly what I had hoped to discover from someone with more experience.

All I did was Google "compare litchi autopilot." Now, then...I bet that took less time than it did to post your original message.

Sorry that I annoyed you.
I had not expected a snarky response, especially after I thanked you for your help.
I did spend time scanning messages here and had seen snippets of information, but was looking for a summary. I also started a search on Google, but also found a lot of options. The one I shared was the best I found in the short term.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I've purchased and installed Litchi and tested it on my Spark indoors. I am very interested in the waypoints feature. I'll give it a try tomorrow, although the Missions waypoint settings do not appear to include Spark as an option. I may also test Autopilot.
I wish DJI's GSPro worked on Android devices, but apparently it is for iPads (and possibly iPhones) only.

Hello ProfPaul. The question you have asked requires a very involved answer (I am a beta tester for Autopilot and use Litchi). Autopilot is extremely complicated compared to Litchi. I always suggest people get familiar with the Go app before they venture on to third party apps. Apps like Litchi & Autopilot are geared towards the larger quads with more features like the Mavic, Phantom & Inspire. The Spark can take advantage of some of the features they offer but it is really aimed at the selfie crowd.

Reactions: ProfPaul
I bought Litchi to use with my P3S for missions but I've not had the nerve to use it.

I find the waypoint settings a bit flaky and fear I will make a mistake or some error.

I just don't have confidence in it. (or myself) :O

Hello ProfPaul. The question you have asked requires a very involved answer (I am a beta tester for Autopilot and use Litchi). Autopilot is extremely complicated compared to Litchi. I always suggest people get familiar with the Go app before they venture on to third party apps. Apps like Litchi & Autopilot are geared towards the larger quads with more features like the Mavic, Phantom & Inspire. The Spark can take advantage of some of the features they offer but it is really aimed at the selfie crowd.

LuvMyTj - Thank you. I've been using the Go 4 application since getting the drone in mid-September. I still count myself as a beginner, but have logged seven hours and 56,000 feet in 86 flights. I've been involved in photography all my adult life, having a combat photographer MOS from the Army from my time in Vietnam, and a radio, television & film, BA degree (from way back in 1975). My interest in the drones is in new methods of photography and video creation.

What appeals to me as I learn more is the waypoint feature of Litchi (and maybe Autopilot). Thank you for the advice regarding Autopilot's complexity. I purchased Litchi today and created a simple test route in the large field where I fly here in Singapore (Google 1°19'46.7"N 103°47'09.3"E / 1.329624, 103.785917). Although Litchi indicates it works with Spark, the online application for creating the flight circuit doesn't include Spark as a selection. I'm going out to the field tomorrow morning to see if it works for the Spark.

I'm using the Spark to learn while I'm here in Singapore. I just received my notice from DJI that they shipped my Mavic Pro Platinum, which is going to my home near Buffalo, NY. It will be there when I get back. I expect to use Litchi mostly with the Mavic and hope it isn't too cold in the Buffalo area in early December to fly. I'll definitely delay on trying Autopilot until I have a lot more flights and hours in the air, and until I can use it with the Mavic. Meanwhile, I'll keep practicing with the Spark, mostly using Go 4.

I bought Litchi to use with my P3S for missions but I've not had the nerve to use it.

I find the waypoint settings a bit flaky and fear I will make a mistake or some error.

I just don't have confidence in it. (or myself) :O

Paul60 - I hope you get to try it and everything works out for you.

In my continued study of the Litchi technical information today, I discovered that in fact Litchi does not support waypoints yet for Spark. I'll wait, but I'm looking forward to having the feature.

I tried to watch that video, but the pace was just too painful. By the time the one guy mentioned people "resting on their MORALS", i had to hit the back button while trying to see through watering eyes. Rofl. Someone needs to get this guy one of those word a day calendars that includes laurels. So funny. Now, to repose on MY laurels...

In my continued study of the Litchi technical information today, I discovered that in fact Litchi does not support waypoints yet for Spark. I'll wait, but I'm looking forward to having the feature.
the litchi waypoint feature does not work with the spark as yet but the autopilot waypoint feature does, this is because litchi uses the DJI SDK and flight controller to fly the spark and the DJI SDK does not support waypoints in the firmware the Autopilot app uses its own flight controller which must be in contact with the spark from the phone or tablet running autopilot at all times so although autopilot supports waypoints it does not support LCMC (lost connection mission continuation)
but DJI had stated they are working on a firmware for spark which will support waypoints natively so lets hope its sooner rather than later

...following. This (future) native support for waypoints in the Spark would tip me heavily in favor of buying a Spark.

Thank you for the information. From the comments I've read about Autopilot, I've concluded that it is beyond my needs or ability right now. I'll keep flying the Spark here in Singapore. The Mavic arrives at my home in Buffalo next Monday. When I get back in early December, if the weather is OK, I'll try Litchi with the Mavic. I really do like the idea of programming waypoints and want to try it, perhaps along the Erie Canal, or the 30 Mile Point Lighthouse up on Lake Ontario.

Thank you for the information. From the comments I've read about Autopilot, I've concluded that it is beyond my needs or ability right now. I'll keep flying the Spark here in Singapore. The Mavic arrives at my home in Buffalo next Monday. When I get back in early December, if the weather is OK, I'll try Litchi with the Mavic. I really do like the idea of programming waypoints and want to try it, perhaps along the Erie Canal, or the 30 Mile Point Lighthouse up on Lake Ontario.
Autopilot is a steeper learning curve. Look forward to seeing your videos

I use Litchi all the time on my P3S. Don’t have a Spark yet but when I do, I’ll be using Litchi. I have used the waypoint and orbit feature a few times but mostly I use it for panos. I prefer Litchi to GO because on my P3S it provides many more features that GO does not.

LuvMyTj - Thank you. I've been using the Go 4 application since getting the drone in mid-September. I still count myself as a beginner, but have logged seven hours and 56,000 feet in 86 flights. I've been involved in photography all my adult life, having a combat photographer MOS from the Army from my time in Vietnam, and a radio, television & film, BA degree (from way back in 1975). My interest in the drones is in new methods of photography and video creation.

What appeals to me as I learn more is the waypoint feature of Litchi (and maybe Autopilot). Thank you for the advice regarding Autopilot's complexity. I purchased Litchi today and created a simple test route in the large field where I fly here in Singapore (Google 1°19'46.7"N 103°47'09.3"E / 1.329624, 103.785917). Although Litchi indicates it works with Spark, the online application for creating the flight circuit doesn't include Spark as a selection. I'm going out to the field tomorrow morning to see if it works for the Spark.

I'm using the Spark to learn while I'm here in Singapore. I just received my notice from DJI that they shipped my Mavic Pro Platinum, which is going to my home near Buffalo, NY. It will be there when I get back. I expect to use Litchi mostly with the Mavic and hope it isn't too cold in the Buffalo area in early December to fly. I'll definitely delay on trying Autopilot until I have a lot more flights and hours in the air, and until I can use it with the Mavic. Meanwhile, I'll keep practicing with the Spark, mostly using Go 4.
I am over near Rochester... you can fly all winter. Some great footage to be had.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast