Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Lightweight Spark - Under 250 Grams

• Thread starter Deleted member 15655
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15655

UPDATE:
According to one of the best leak sources at DJI, they are killing the Spark... Maybe they will replace it with a sub 250 gm machine so i will hold off my efforts until then.
OsitaLV (@OsitaLV) | Twitter

Guys,

This has been discussed before with no real answer that I have come across.

Why I wanna do this ?
To get around the Canadian drone regulations by bringing the weight under 250 grams. As far as I understand this will allow me to fly in urban areas where I can get cool shots.

How I plan to do this ?
3D-Printing a lightweight midframe (body/chassis). Spark has a solid one piece midframe which looks like a slight overkill for structural integrity. I wanna optimize and 3D print a midframe by shaving 50 grams off it to bring it under the weight limit along with other minor mods.

What I need to get started ?
A CAD model or accurate drawings of the DJI Spark midframe for reverse engineering.

If you guys know where I can find the above, please lemme know.

Note: If you are a sore hater with no constructive feedback; move on with your peachy life and don't bother commenting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DroneDoug
How I plan to do this ?
3D-Printing a lightweight midframe (body/chassis). Spark has a solid one piece midframe which looks like a slight overkill for structural integrity. I wanna optimize and 3D print a midframe by shaving 50 grams off it to bring it under the weight limit along with other minor mods.

If you are ready to take the pain of doing all the above, why not buy a 2nd hand Spark, strip it down and then do a 3D scan to get the CAD model?

Reactions: graywoulf
If you are ready to take the pain of doing all the above, why not buy a 2nd hand Spark, strip it down and then do a 3D scan to get the CAD model?

I don't have access to a 3D scanner, yet. I may in near future and that is my backup-plan. Might be able to get my hands on a Artec Leo; not the most accurate but should suffice for this application.

I would first do some research. If it works like cars here in The netherlands (we are taxed by net weight of the car), the manufactueres specifications are taken to determine your car tax. If you want to reduce the weight of your car to eligible for a lower tax amount , you will have to get your car officially re-evaluated by the national car registration organisation, and the new weight has to be noted in the official papers of your car. It is a little more tricky than this because the car has to also still comply with all the safety and other regulations, so the examination is a bit more extensive than just driving over a scale...
I would assume that for drones this would also somehow be the case. You would have to have some official paper saying the weight of you specific drone is such-and-such.

Reactions: nilanjan118
Also, I don't think there is enough material to "shave off" from the mainframe and reduce 50grams.
The Spark battery itself weighs 95grams. That leaves just 205grams in the remaining components.
So I assume the mainframe is about 100~150 grams in weight and to expect a 50 grams reduction from it seems farfetched.
You would have to go for a battery modification too to meet your target.
Good luck!

I would first do some research. If it works like cars here in The netherlands (we are taxed by net weight of the car), the manufactueres specifications are taken to determine your car tax. If you want to reduce the weight of your car to eligible for a lower tax amount , you will have to get your car officially re-evaluated by the national car registration organisation, and the new weight has to be noted in the official papers of your car. It is a little more tricky than this because the car has to also still comply with all the safety and other regulations, so the examination is a bit more extensive than just driving over a scale...
I would assume that for drones this would also somehow be the case. You would have to have some official paper saying the weight of you specific drone is such-and-such.

Agreed ! I did look into this. Transport Canada has released a list of drone that are to be used for "advanced operations" only. As far as recreational drones are concerned, they are very skimpy on the details. They only have one "Tips to fly safely" section that basically says that we have to maintain a Visual-line-of-sight.

Also, I don't think there is enough material to "shave off" from the mainframe and reduce 50grams.
The Spark battery itself weighs 95grams. That leaves just 205grams in the remaining components.
So I assume the mainframe is about 100~150 grams in weight and to expect a 50 grams reduction from it seems farfetched.
Good luck!

Yes, I understand that I may have to look into additional things to hit the target. Ideally, I would like to see what i can get with the frame alone. This will allow others to replicate the mod easily without touching multiple parts. And not touching the battery gives us the added advantage of extra flight time due to weight reduction.

The other disheartening fact is that the replacement frames from Aliexpress are listed at 50 grams total. I am not sure if that's the same as the original DJI frame or not.

Good luck!

Amazon ad has the midframe at
  • Material: Plastic; Weight: 46.6g. Package: 1 * DJI Spake Middle Frame/Shell

Reactions: Andre Levite
Has anyone in Canada ever been approached by any official and asked to weigh their drone? How is this monitored in Canada and by whom?

Reactions: NWSpark
Amazon ad has the midframe at
  • Material: Plastic; Weight: 46.6g. Package: 1 * DJI Spake Middle Frame/Shell

To subtract 50gm weight from a 47gm frame you just drill it out and replace with helium.

Surprised nobody has tried this yet :oops:

FYI: Not a hater. Not peachy either

To subtract 50gm weight from a 47gm frame you just drill it out and replace with helium.

Wow. I was just thinking about the idea of drilling holes into the arms of the Spark to make it lighter but I don't think that's going to be enough.

Reactions: graywoulf
Wow. I was just thinking about the idea of drilling holes into the arms of the Spark to make it lighter but I don't think that's going to be enough.

I've seen too many photos of Sparks with a broken arm after a low fall to a hard surface. Or even falling to grass with a higher drop. A Spark with a "broken wing" is a sad sight.

If it lands the wrong way the plastic just snaps. Drilling holes in the frame will surely weaken the structural integrity. Don't you think so?

Why I wanna do this ?
To get around the Canadian drone regulations by bringing the weight under 250 grams. As far as I understand this will allow me to fly in urban areas where I can get cool shots.
No hater, nor "preachy", but this is what gives drones a bad name. OK, a little bit preachy - sue me.

Certainly a troll though... As i mentioned... remove as much as possible from the frame and then move on to other things. Read the posts before commenting please.

Has anyone in Canada ever been approached by any official and asked to weigh their drone? How is this monitored in Canada and by whom?

Never heard that tbh... but i just wanna have the bases covered in case that ever happens.

Certainly a troll though... As i mentioned... remove as much as possible from the frame and then move on to other things. Read the posts before commenting please.

No sense of humor, eh?

According to the well-sourced earlier posts... the math doesn't work

Last edited:
i mean it could very well work but is it really wrought all the trouble and that is if they take the weight not by the manufacturer.but if they weight the unregistered drone their and there is enough weight to shave off they go at it.

Good luck!
If I may add to this if he reduced the weight of the frame then in theory he would not need the current battery he could reduce the battery and keep the same flight time. But what he may find is that a lighter UAV maybe hardy to keep stable to get clearer shots as any breezes are subject to push it around

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewDatcu