Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just bought a spark! Over excited, but scared to actually fly it. Please help

Woodbury.Reed

Join
Dec 27, 2017
I'm a first time drone owner, and honestly I haven't done as much research as I probably should have. Read about the spark and saw some videos and fell in love. Everything about it was right, especially the price. I haven't bought the remote yet so can only use android. I've tried to fly once inside and it didn't go super well. Any tips or info for a first time user? Does it not function as well indoors or without a remote? I'm worried it's going to fly into a wall or fly off outside. I've read the manual front to back and am still worried. Any help is appreciated.

Flying indoors isn't all that great, especially being for your 1st flight. Tips: Get a remote

Power on, let it sit on a flat surface, make sure homepoint is updated, and fly close until you get a remote. I've never used the gesture control and don't plan to. The worst thing you can do is go to a new spot power on and take off immediately before updating home point. Make sure you also have a good signal and no compass issues before taking off.

Reactions: Fly High From Above
Any tips or info for a first time user?
Here are some items you might find useful:

Does it not function as well indoors or without a remote?
While it's possible (if you're careful), the Spark was not designed to be flown indoors. Take it outside in a wide open location where there are no nearby obstacles (trees, houses, etc.).

You'll find the Spark is much easier to control with the Spark remote controller. You can pick one up here on Amazon or direct from DJI here.

Reactions: Alex Dyer
Even I, as a first-time drone owner and only owning a Spark for only 2 days and 6 flights, I definitely recommend you buying the controller and not flying indoors much at all. If you do want/have to fly indoors, be in a decently open room as I've learned. But the controller is definitely worth its cost, and the Spark becomes a much much better drone after buying a controller.
EDIT: I personally would buy the controller now, especially since it is $30 off the normal price!

Last edited:
Buy the remote...I wouldn't dare fly my Spark with phone only, especially via Android...I have an iPad and an Android phone and the Go4 on Android crashes everytime I fly.

Thank you all for the advice already. Obviously the remote is a must. That and propeller guards are going to be ordered today (thanks for the heads up on the sale). Good to know how important that is. Does the android still cause issues even once I have the remote? What's the OTG cable I keep reading about? I'm wicked excited to fly this thing but am glad I reached out for help before I broke the spark or lost it. Sad it's no good indoors. The dji videos showcasing the spark made it seem like it was easily flown indoors. Makes perfect sense that couldn't be.

When my Go4 app crashes on Android, I still have full control of the Spark via the RC, I just let Sparkie hover while I restart the app....

I see one person mentioned they would never use the gesture controls, but do they even work to be used?? The ad videos make it seem flawless but I can't picture it working that well

I see one person mentioned they would never use the gesture controls, but do they even work to be used?? The ad videos make it seem flawless but I can't picture it working that well
They work as long as the gesture process is followed as per manual. The novelty wears off after a while, though on-lookers are impressed with the Jedi mode.

Just got my spark as well so I know exactly how you feel, worried that it'll crash or fly off...but do yourself a favour and take it outside!

Did my first outdoor flight this morning round the garden and I was amazed how much easier it was, even with the "strong wind" warning I got. Keep it low and slow and you'll be fine.

Yep - first time owner here too and flown it a couple of times now. Plenty of space today and even braved 80m altitude :) LOL!

Next step is to find a decent name/reward sticker in the UK to put on my Spark in case it ever disappears

I used a label maker for my stickers.
The stickers are small and waterproof.

Also, for added protection, I placed a TEXT file on the SD card with my information should the sticker fail.

Oh BTW, welcome to the Forum:cool:.

I'll second the "get a remote". Also you may want to switch it to Tripod Mode for indoor flying, that greatly slows the movement. Remember, with the Spark you can always just let go of the sticks (or stop tapping the phone) if you get into trouble, and the Spark should stop in its tracks, giving you a chance to breathe and consider what direction its facing and what you want to do next.

Making sudden control movements while your brain is in Panic Mode is what will turn trouble into crash.

And keep the prop guards on until you are more experienced of course. But if you don't have the remote I assume you didn't get the FlyMore combo and may not have prop guards. Get some. The ones that DJI makes are probably the best, they're sturdy and easy to attach/remove. I also purchased a "glare shield" for my Spark, it's a hood that attaches on the front and has little cowls that cover the sides and top of the camera to help prevent sun glare from the sides and above. It provides a degree of protection for the delicate camera/gimbal in the event of a crash. Unlike the "gimbal covers" sold for the Spark, the glare shield can be left on while flying.

remote $125:
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Spark-Remote-Controller-CP-PT-000792/dp/B071FLRZV4

prop guards $20:
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Spark-Propeller-Guards-CP-PT-000787/dp/B074B6K5H3

glare shade $7:
https://www.amazon.com/AQGOODLIFE-Accessories-Sunshade-Camera-Protector/dp/B0749BNL1C

Some accessories are available at Best Buy (I picked up two spare batteries and a set of extra props last week), and I have seen them for sale online-deliver-to-store at Walmart and Kohls.

Last edited:
I'm a first time drone owner, and honestly I haven't done as much research as I probably should have. Read about the spark and saw some videos and fell in love. Everything about it was right, especially the price. I haven't bought the remote yet so can only use android. I've tried to fly once inside and it didn't go super well. Any tips or info for a first time user? Does it not function as well indoors or without a remote? I'm worried it's going to fly into a wall or fly off outside. I've read the manual front to back and am still worried. Any help is appreciated.
Hi , I felt exactly as you did and I still haven't had chance to fly due to the horrendous weather over Xmas in Cornwall UK . I have however read a lot on this excellent forum , and watched a whole bunch of videos which has given me enough confidence to take off when weather permits . I have the fly more combo , biggest step for me was getting everything connected and set up . I didn't have a clue to begin with , and being on an android phone with the remote I learnt enough early on to stick to Dji Go4 4.1.5 for the time being .
Just take your time until you feel confident enough to fly and also to be able to get your little spark safely back home if needed .
Have fun and a happy new year to everyone .

Last edited:
Reactions: herdh and rich777
Hi , I felt exactly as you did and I still haven't had chance to fly due to the horrendous weather over Xmas in Cornwall UK . I have however read a lot on this excellent forum , and watched a whole bunch of videos which has given me enough confidence to take off when weather permits . I have the fly more combo , biggest step for me was getting everything connected and set up . I didn't have a clue to begin with , and being on an android phone with the remote I learnt enough early on to stick to Dji Go4 4.1.5 for the time being .
Just take your time until you feel confident enough to fly and also to be able to get your little spark safely back home if needed .
Have fun and a happy new year to everyone .
I am also in the same boat Col, ie waiting for a dry less windy day for my maiden flight. I am also in Cornwall and feel your frustration. I will hopefully finally get her up in the air tomorrow. Best of luck to you, have fun. Dave..

I am also in the same boat Col, ie waiting for a dry less windy day for my maiden flight. I am also in Cornwall and feel your frustration. I will hopefully finally get her up in the air tomorrow. Best of luck to you, have fun. Dave..
Thanks Dave
Hope you get chance tomorrow . It's been terrible weather lately. Cheers , Col

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fulavio