Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is this a bad idea?

leatherneck6017

Join
Jan 4, 2018
Loc
SW Washington
yeupQRg.jpg

So I posted this picture over on reddit: This worked out very well • r/DJISpark

The summary is that I was able to fly, mostly back to back, for about 4 hours using the device pictured to charge batteries once depleted. Temps were in the low 40's(F) and the sunlight is not very strong this time of year (winter).

Some guy (rudely) starts telling me that my batteries are going to catch fire.

Thoughts?

As long as you cycle the batteries, leave plenty of time for them to cool, you should be fine. I'd however watch the aircraft's temperature, mine sometimes gets a bit warm after a few flights back to back, but in the cold weather, doubt its gonna be an issue, fun flying!

As long as you cycle the batteries, leave plenty of time for them to cool, you should be fine. I'd however watch the aircraft's temperature, mine sometimes gets a bit warm after a few flights back to back, but in the cold weather, doubt its gonna be an issue, fun flying!

I will pay more attention to the craft temp. As I was handling it to change batteries, it never felt warm to me. Like you said, probably helps that the ambient temp is low. Would likely be a different story in summer.

I use something very similiar

Thanks for the input.

As long as the batteries have cooled down a bit before putting them on the charger, there going to be fine.

I think a fire risk is minimal, as there's always a slight chance of one.

He may have seen videos of phones, cheap hover boards, etc. when they caught fire.

You could get a metal container such as an ammo can to put the batteries and charger sled into while charging.

Maybe a fire extinguisher to have on display

Reactions: leatherneck6017
Here's a video my buddy made on the unit that we use

Good stuff. I suspect that the battery capacity in my portable is higher than the one in his video (not at home right now where it's charging). It was fully charged when I started flying, and down to 4% by the end of the day. I think I got 3 charge cycles on each Spark battery. They charged at the same rate as if plugged into a wall outlet.

Reactions: lightbg
yeupQRg.jpg

So I posted this picture over on reddit: This worked out very well • r/DJISpark

The summary is that I was able to fly, mostly back to back, for about 4 hours using the device pictured to charge batteries once depleted. Temps were in the low 40's(F) and the sunlight is not very strong this time of year (winter).

Some guy (rudely) starts telling me that my batteries are going to catch fire.

Thoughts?
The battery is a smart battery. It won't charge when it's hot. After it cools down it'll start recharging.

No issue at all safety wise. Letting them batteries rest a bit longer than the minimum for them to start charging after they cooled down may increase their lifetime though.

The aircraft couldn't care less about 1 battery or 30 in a row. It's at "stable" temp within a couple of minutes in a single flight anyway.

Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fulavio