Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Interference problem

Pe11e

Join
Feb 7, 2018
Hi!

I have a problem with huge interference with or without OTG, when flying around my house, which is in a densely populated countryside (few wi-fi routers 30m around the house). The thing is, RC connects to drone via 5.8ghz, channel 149 every single time! Sometimes the interference bar is hitting the roof, sometimes is around normal values on a good day. Using OTG cable doesn't fix the issue since the connection between RC and the drone is the problem.

Oh, I'm using an Android device (Xiaomi 5s Plus). Is there any way I could choose different channel with less interference? Every time I tried that, RC disconnected.

Any ideas how can I solve this? I thought RC should always connect to a channel that has the least amount of interference, but that isn't the case.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, I've tested all the options now in the house (no flying) and it can change channels and to 2.4ghz, but bad thing is you can't see the transmission quality bars. I could only choose a random channel and test the quality. That way you will lose too much time during flying.
Or you can connect to RC via Wi-Fi, choose the channel, and connect OTG cable. In my case I must exit the app and open it again (won't reconnect), which is PITA to be honest.

Screenshot_2018-03-08-01-32-48-491_dji.go.v4.png

Last edited:
What happens when you leave the OTG off completely? At this stage of the game, troubleshooting is the only sure way to know.
But I do know one thing, having no bars is not good.

Without OTG cable (wi-fi only) the bars are there, but they are oscillating pretty much, it's hard to choose a proper one.
Forgot to mention that I used NLD GO and DJI GO MOD 2.0 apps (because both apps supports channel selection with OTG).

But u CAN choose one. And it stays after exiting and coming back into the app.
Oh and thx for mentioning the not so obvious.:)
I know you prefer the OTG, but if flying in that area is working without it. Or you have to fly using the Go4app’s current version, do the test and find out.

Ok, today was a pretty nice day, sunny, no clouds ,15C. Went far from houses, in the fields
Used my usual setup - .900, NLD GO app, OTG. First time I've connected I was in the app with wi-fi on, and after checking the channels. All 2.4ghz channels were green, no interference at all, but 5.8ghz ones were pretty high, including ch 149 of course.. Disabled wi-fi, connected an OTG cable, entered the app again, OTG was active but interference was horrible! Huge delay and a lot of artefacts (like a pretty bad compressed video). Not sure what is going on, I was in the fields FAR from any house. Tried to change to 2.4ghz ch 11, reconnected, interference was even worse, wth?! Lost my patience with it, the drone battery was already at 80ish %, I've selected auto channel and exited the app after applying. Reconnected the OTG, opened the app, and image quality was a bit better on auto, but still far from usual OTG image quality.
Second and third flight (battery), was similar, but I've connected OTG cable after RC led went green and BEFORE opening the app. That way connection and image quality is most stable in my case, BUT STILL not as expected. Not sure will .900 firmware affect OTG and image quality, I'm kinda pointing my finger to it. Next time I will try to fly with Wi-Fi only.

Yes! Try just wifi, NO OTG. Let Spark choose the band, and let her rip. Totally stock, no addons.
The suspense is killing me!

But Spark will choose the band also before you connect OTG cable. OTG should help in image transmission quality by not using a wi-fi connection between RC and the phone. It should help logically. You're confusing me now lol.

But Spark will choose the band also before you connect OTG cable. OTG should help in image transmission quality by not using a wi-fi connection between RC and the phone. It should help logically. You're confusing me now lol.
Lol,... Humor me, fly the same path without the OTG, Fly STOCK. IF it gives better results, you don’t even have to answer back. :)

Hey MannyCAM2001, the OTG cable actually solved video hanging issues with my Spark and iPhone6. I was testing my video issue with it today. When you run the iPhone to controller via usb, iPhone WiFi off, the video from Spark to iPhone is riding the transmission from controller to Spark. I didn't know about the iPhone battery being drained by the controller, good to know! Best fix for that situation is having all batteries topped off before flight.

Hi Kevin,
So glad it’s doing the trick for you. I posted in another conversation, that it is subjective to the user and device. I in no way am saying not to use it. I choose not to. In my experiences using it, I didn’t like, not having all my telemetry functioning normally. But if I really wanted to fix something on the Spark ⚡️ it would be the wifi signal that drives the aircraft, not the one coming from my rc to my device.

I hear ya. I've seen this topic all over the forums, a lot of pain with different types of devices and such. I'm new at this stuff, learning!
Thanks!

Did some extensive testing last night with and without OTG. Delay and video quality seems identical, never expected that. Tried two different usb cables, original white one only charged the RC. Not sure is it related to my Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus, not sure really. Developer options - USB debugging is enabled btw (tried it disabled too).

Oops, forgot to say that I did the tests in the house, atti mode, no GPS. Not sure that scenario would affect the test, but I was testing only image quality and delay.

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
I noticed one strange thing when changing channels before takeoff. I was flying in moderately busy wi-fi area, a lot of houses. When I opened wi-fi settings in the app, all 2.4ghz bars were on their minimal values, green, and the same for 5.8ghz. As soon as I select other 5.8ghz channel, the blue bar jumps to some middle values (50% of image transmission quality). Again when I chose the previous one (from channel 157 to 153), again blue bar was around the middle and 157 at the bottom, no interference at all. Is there any chance that RC itself is detecting interference from the spark? Not logical.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis