Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

In theory, would it be possible to "hack" the drone into a 2K recording mode?

EricR1997

Join
Oct 4, 2017
Possibly enabling the feature through the DJI GO 4 MODDED app? Since it has the same camera as the Mavic, it could be possible in terms of hardware.

Reactions: Edikfly
Possibly enabling the feature through the DJI GO 4 MODDED app? Since it has the same camera as the Mavic, it could be possible in terms of hardware.
No, since it only has a 2 axis gimbal, it uses the the bits left over from 1080p for image stabilization.

Seems to me that it would require a modded firmware for the drone itself, in addition to modded GO 4. I'm sure it could be done, just need someone with that particular skill set to do it.

Reactions: Andre Levite
No, since it only has a 2 axis gimbal, it uses the the bits left over from 1080p for image stabilization.
No - it has the same sensor as the Mavic. There's no way it's using 3x the image area for stabilization purposes.
I would think the OP has a valid question since it would seem that 2.7k is within reach. The only concern would be quality.
The Spark records at a rate 24 mb/s that implies to me that processor power is limited - implementing 2.7k may result in a streaming rate with low video quality.

No - it has the same sensor as the Mavic. There's no way it's using 3x the image area for stabilization purposes.
I would think the OP has a valid question since it would seem that 2.7k is within reach. The only concern would be quality.
The Spark records at a rate 24 mb/s that implies to me that processor power is limited - implementing 2.7k may result in a streaming rate with low video quality.
So at a lower frame rate perhaps? 24? I would love it....

It should be possible, I modded my yicam action cam from 1080p to 1440p, and 20mb/s to 35mb/s.
Same goes for Raw, it can take DNG now.
So I guess we can do the same with the Spark given it's a 4k sensor, it can be stabilised by cropping 4k to 1440p, dji is limiting it for marketing purpose, to keep a place for a future Spark 2

I think the problem is the image processing unit, not the sensor.
It's still nothing more than a specialized microprocessor and as such must have configuration parameters somewhere - assuming they actually use a specialized graphics processor.

Yes. It is possible IN THEORY.

The Spark is actually recording in 4K with same camera sensor as Mavic. But then the Spark's microprocessor performs image stabilization before it writes to the SD card. This step degrades the footage to 1080p.

So your hack would have to bypass the microprocessor to capture the raw images. But then you have 4K unstabilized footage. So you'd have to stabilize it yourself and you're effectively back to 1080p.

So while it's possibly in theory there is ultimately no benefit. A Spark that records natively in 4Kb is a common fantasy around here. Lol

Well you can go to 1440p stabilized.
Raw photo is 100% feasable, even a 5 years old android smartphone can shoot dng given the right app, it's just software. In fact raw is an untreated photo so it doesn't need the drone to apply an algorithm.
Video bitrate can also be driven by software unless the memory bus is too slow to go beyond 24mb/s.
As for the idea that spark's cpu can't handle, so how can a 50$ yi cam can be moded to get raw and 40mb/s?

As for the idea that spark's cpu can't handle, so how can a 50$ yi cam can be moded to get raw and 40mb/s?
It's not trying to read a barometer, GPS, 6 axis accelerometer, reading and writing a radio data stream with complete telemetry, using the data to control 4 motors to respond correctly to the fly commands while reading obstacle avoidance sensors to mitigate damage.
Hmmm - you're right, that CPU is obviously just slacking off...

Well you can go to 1440p stabilized.
Raw photo is 100% feasable, even a 5 years old android smartphone can shoot dng given the right app, it's just software. In fact raw is an untreated photo so it doesn't need the drone to apply an algorithm.
Video bitrate can also be driven by software unless the memory bus is too slow to go beyond 24mb/s.

The answer is obvious: a camera is only taking photos or stringing them together to create a video.

The Sparks microprocessor has to take pics AND handle GPS, barometer input, accelerometer, joystick navigation input, variable speed to each of 4 motors, gimbal stabilization, image stabilization and video transmission back to phone at 720p.

If it wasn't completely maxed out the Spark could and would save 4K video. Your action cam has a very different job - a much easier one that is a $2 processor.

Video 1440p ok, but Raw can be controlled by smartphone app, I am pretty sure if someone can build an app to force DNG it will work

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena