Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How to post good looking footage to Instagram

GearHead83

Join
Mar 8, 2018
I have mostly been using my Spark for new perspectives of my adventures on social media, mainly through photos. However I have also been having fun creating short clips of video that are perfect for Instagram except IGs compression technology is trash and all of my videos come out looking horribly grainy. I have followed three different tutorials on how to bypass the built in compression yet I have had no success, all videos posted look terrible. All of the tutorials say essentially the same thing:

H.264 format
1080X1080 or 1080X1350 ratios
lower bit rate (around 4-8)
keep the file size below 5MB

No matter how small I made my clips it seems that IG compression was still applied. Just wondering if anyone has had success posting video from the Spark on social media, especially IG.

I agree with you, Instagram has so much beautiful images but their compression and image quality sucks...
Not only video's but also for pictures...
I wonder how a picture oriented site can be so shitty ???

Reactions: DameEdnaBrown
Don't forget that Instagram got its start with low-fi picture filters. Grainy, blurry, looking like something from a 50s polaroid.

That being said, the picture quality is plenty fine for viewing on mobile...the target platform. So what if you can't zoom it? That isn't the point.

As for video, it sucks. So bad. Wow. But it loads fast and uses very little data on almost any mobile connection.

A bit rate around 4-8 is going to produce crappy video no matter where it's uploaded.

This looks notably better than my videos. Granted I just watched on my desktop. Can you provide any tips on your process?
Hi! im using adobe premier pro cc.
These are my export settings:

1080x1920 IG STORIES (9:16)
SQUARE 1080x1080 (1:1)
OPTIMAL RESO 1080x1350 (4:5)

EXPORT
BitRate Settings
Target 6 or 8 Mbps

Audio
-MAX SAMPLING RATE
-AAC codec

Hi! im using adobe premier pro cc.
These are my export settings:

1080x1920 IG STORIES (9:16)
SQUARE 1080x1080 (1:1)
OPTIMAL RESO 1080x1350 (4:5)

EXPORT
BitRate Settings
Target 6 or 8 Mbps

Audio
-MAX SAMPLING RATE
-AAC codec
Appreciate this. I have not tried a 1:1 or 4:5 dimensions yet (because they ruin the video I have by cutting off many of the things I want seen) but I have tried a resolution less than 720p and it still looked like garbage. I'll try it out with these aspect ratios but they do not really lend themselves well to wider drone footage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis