Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Greatly overrated

bennie

Join
Jul 23, 2017
So i got the spark instead of mavic being a first time drone owner i thought 2 km would be enough range and traveling a lot the spark would save on weight and space but i am thinking i made the wrong choice using phone i only get 30 meters at best and using rc with otg only 100 meters of a supposed 2000 meters and this is in clear field with no power or wifi within 300 meters i spoke to dji but they basically said its not their problem when i get home i think i may sell it and go to different brand of drone as dji is no help what so ever with after sales support

Reactions: jdpatt12
So i got the spark instead of mavic being a first time drone owner i thought 2 km would be enough range and traveling a lot the spark would save on weight and space but i am thinking i made the wrong choice using phone i only get 30 meters at best and using rc with otg only 100 meters of a supposed 2000 meters and this is in clear field with no power or wifi within 300 meters i spoke to dji but they basically said its not their problem when i get home i think i may sell it and go to different brand of drone as dji is no help what so ever with after sales support
You obviously haven't been reading this forum (or others) in regards to the infamous "Should I get a Spark or Mavic?" question.

Reactions: Sparkbart and Goose
No i obviously havent as like i said i am first time drone owner so why would have i read it especially since i just join this forum

No i obviously havent as like i said i am first time drone owner so why would have i read it especially since i just join this forum
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like a "wise guy" in my prior post. Not sure how long you've owned the Spark, but maybe you can still return it.

I have only had it for 2 weeks and had nothing but problems drone de linked with rc took 3 days to fix. Otg cable refuse to work dji go 4 constantly shutting down range is nothing like stated i like what it does when it works it just doesnt work like advertised

I have only had it for 2 weeks and had nothing but problems drone de linked with rc took 3 days to fix. Otg cable refuse to work dji go 4 constantly shutting down range is nothing like stated i like what it does when it works it just doesnt work like advertised
There is suppose to be a firmware update being released very soon which should address a majority of these issues.

As much frustration you've had with it so far, don't give up on it just yet. The mavic pro had issues up the **** when it was first released but its alot more stable now after all the firmware updates. The Spark is relatively new so gotta give it some time. I have not experienced the distance issues people have reported but everyone's situation and flying environment is different. DJI is the leader in drone tech and to say your gonna find another brand, I think you'll end up right back.

I took the Spark yesterday to a distance of 2000 feet (609 meters) with RC + only wifi (decided to not use OTG which by the way, when I hit RTH, it returned flawlessly). Rebooting app, entirely calibrating copter/RC and trying again would be my guess.

You should really get more distance. CE mode, 600m at 5.8G and 1000m 2.4G in a field out of city. From your description, I would guess you are using android version. Had same issue of crash mid flight, not a good feeling. That make me buying my first iPad as I didn't want to wait the android being at same level as is version.

So now have another 2 issues after another flight it constantly wants compass re calibration and when do that i get about 30 seconds flight time before it wants it done again and top speed in sport mode is roughly 20kph (12mph)in a still environment

So now have another 2 issues after another flight it constantly wants compass re calibration and when do that i get about 30 seconds flight time before it wants it done again and top speed in sport mode is roughly 20kph (12mph)in a still environment
Top speed for Sport Mode is around 31 mph and if hacked is 45 mph. RTH speed is around 22 mph. Spark can calculate how much the speed depending on the battery life for RTH.

Last edited:

Do you have it set to beginner mode? That may be why you have limited range and speed.

I ve flown mine about two dozen time in the last week, only with controller and otg and it's been pretty much flawless. I ve gotten it as far as 3700' a couple of times with most flights in the 1500/2000' range. Never lost connection once. Remote always connected quickly.

My only gripe, minor, is that in sports mode the gimbal tilts when using either stick to the right or left making it impossible to shoot video in sports mode

Just returned from a Florida and Bahamas trip with my Spark. Previously with my Chroma I had gotten quite the search at TSA. With the Spark I went through multiple TSA checks with never a question.

I still don't know all of the settings and I had an issue where it stayed in place while I was on a moving fishing charter but for a drone to take traveling there is currently no equal that I know of. I will now buy a Mavic too but for ease of packing up and taking on the go I'll bring the Spark. There's no way the Mavic would have squeaked through so easily.

I have yet to have much of an issue (other than the above which might have been an R/C disconnect) and I have only used wifi connection between my iPhone 6plus and the controller.

I did bust up a finger snatching the Spark out of the air to flip over and turn off on the boat.

Just returned from a Florida and Bahamas trip with my Spark. Previously with my Chroma I had gotten quite the search at TSA. With the Spark I went through multiple TSA checks with never a question.

I still don't know all of the settings and I had an issue where it stayed in place while I was on a moving fishing charter but for a drone to take traveling there is currently no equal that I know of. I will now buy a Mavic too but for ease of packing up and taking on the go I'll bring the Spark. There's no way the Mavic would have squeaked through so easily.

I have yet to have much of an issue (other than the above which might have been an R/C disconnect) and I have only used wifi connection between my iPhone 6plus and the controller.

I did bust up a finger snatching the Spark out of the air to flip over and turn off on the boat.

You will be utterly blown away with the Mavic!!!

I think it is human nature to have buyers remorse or more often attempt to justify a purchase. I have learned to make a purchase and just go with it. I own a Mavic. To be honest I would buy a Spark in a second but I simply don't have room for it.

Sometimes the answer to a purchase question is "because I want one." Which really has nothing to do with specs or value.

Reactions: Paul7seven

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast