Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

General Question - Part 107

pmshop

Spark Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Join
Oct 6, 2017
Loc
Fredericksburg, Texas, USA
Web
www.youtube.com
So I have been kicking the idea around about getting Part 107 licensed since the test was finalized in 2016.
One thing or another keeps me from getting it.
Mainly that un-announced knock at the door - FAA wanting to see your records.

However, with recent shots I got of the flooding, I have reconsidered but just came up with one irrefutable reality I just realized.

Back story: I know there are multiple fields I can go into that require Part 107 like real estate, industrial inspections and so on.
But I really like the photo journalist - stunning shot taker like of the flooding around here.

However, if I get my part 107 and get some great footage of something, what is going to stop an unlicensed hobbyist jerk like me from undercutting myself as a part 107 and just "give" the studio/ client the footage???

Thoughts most appreciated...

Reactions: rcdude
I intend this to be a heads up to you.

Whether you are 107 or not, you have to be careful flying near disaster areas. That is where the feds are beginning to put the clamp down. Depending on the nature of the disaster, and whether or not they consider you as interfering with relief efforts, the fine can be $20K, and could include incarceration... licensed, or not.

In recent years, steep finds were reduced; greatly. However, with all of the attention drone risk has received of late, my belief is that there will be more examples made of people in the near future.

Having the 107 is not going to set market prices for your footage. The 107 simply allows you to enter into a contract to fly commercially. Decades ago, my friend Dave happened to be the first on site of a helicopter crash. He had his DSLR with him. He sold a couple of photos to the San Jose Mercury News. I think he got $75. Ironically, he was a journalism major. To my knowledge, he never sold another, or finish his journalism degree.

If you were to submit the various footage as a photo journalist it would be considered in the category of Editorial, which does not require a commercial license unless you sell a lot of it.

Check this out

I passed the 107 just for access to LAANC. I am still waiting for adoption by the local airports who control air space. I'm told all airports will adopt by the end of 2019. If this area adopts at the end of 2019, it will have been 18 months since I was certified. So, for me, the 107 has yet to be of benefit. I do submit footage to stock footage houses, and while I have 130 clips available for sale, not a single one has sold. There's a lot of competition. Because so few would be expected to sell, I wouldn't need a 107 license for that as I flew/filmed without a contract to do so.

My advice is to NOT get the 107, but DO study airspace as it pertains to FAA regulations, learn to read sectional charts, and it's a good idea to check the website Flight Service to see if there are any "notice to airmen" (NOTAMS) to be concerned about, Such as warning for flying over disaster areas. The sectionals are not hard to understand, they are just a lot of information written in really small font. You can do this for free. Otherwise, the test is only learning to read weather forecasts as communicated at airports, and responsibilities of what is called the Remote Pilot in Command.

Hope that helps

I'm sorry but this is not new information to me.
I am fully versed in the regs around my area.
I understand the sectionals and NOTAMS.
I also know about TFRs and how to find them.

On all my flooding videos, I did ask the proper authorities if there were any relief efforts being conducted and I called into the airports to inform them of the flights.
I use AirMap, Flight Service and other resources.

I know having a part 107 does not set the price...but it does allow me to charge.

Like I have said, been kicking the idea around since 2016 and have studied for the test just to make me a better Drone Pilot.

Last edited:
Well, tangent I can offer, not related to drones... I used to work as a professional musciain, working as a composer/arranger in a studio setting for about 5 years. One thing you said reminded me of those days (1980's). Being undercut by a hobbyist.... well, back in those days, before computer digital audio workstations were invented, there were students kicking about that would offer to do sessions in teaching studios for artists for free, meanwhile, over that 5 year period, things got leaner and leaner in terms of the quantity of business. We used to get quite pissed at these kids... but often those customers got lack lustre output for their freebie. Then, once people started getting affordable music packages that ran on Macs/ Ataris, and eventually PCs, we were pretty much done for... we adapated, but it was time to find something else to do (in part in my case, to sober up!).... so if you are hoping to monetize for the sake of the money on top of greater opportunity, I'd say beware... competition would be fierce no doubt, and those competitors wont be flying sparks... bigger fancier camera birds. (I know you have access some of that too)... just sayin' ... Who wants feds at the door either?

Reactions: pmshop

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast