Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Full size unedited images

macinte

Join
Jul 6, 2018
I am thinking about getting a Spark, and was wondering if anyone could post some full-size, unedited images they've taken with their Spark, right off the SD card. I'm not a photographer, but I'd like to get into it, and don't want to spend a lot (relatively speaking) of money on my first *real* drone. I've tried to find some images online, but all the ones I've seen look like water color paintings when displayed at 100%. If I am able to take some decent pictures that look nice somewhere other than Facebook, that'd be nice, and hopefully a good stepping stone to a better camera/drone.

Thanks for any help!

Here is one. If you zoom in to the area just below the sun, there is a bridge that is 4 miles from where the drone took the picture. I am always amazed at how good the Spark camera is.
I think this is a good example of what is possible. I don't know if Aircam used auto exposure then adjusted the EV to eliminate any light on the foreground objects, but, if not, that is a technique to accomplish this look.

As impressive as those pictures are, as a hobby photographer, these are as frustrating to work with as the pictures from an iPhone 7 are; they look great on a phone screen, but when viewing at 100%, they turn out to be rubbish; lack of detail, lack of sharpness. It would annoy me to no end.
I have a Mavic Pro myself, and I already find most of the pictures that come out of that drone a bit disappointing.

@macinte; what is your feeling? Since you stated you want to get into photography, you may want to invest at least into a drone that can shoot images in RAW modus, as this gives you much more possibilities to increase the photo quality.

On a sidenote to the other contributers of this thread: is it possible to increase the sharpness with the Spark, like it is with the Mavics?

Sidenote 2: Not trying to bash the sparky here, it is an amazing entry-level drone, and your images are very helpful!

Reactions: powell
As impressive as those pictures are, as a hobby photographer, these are as frustrating to work with as the pictures from an iPhone 7 are; they look great on a phone screen, but when viewing at 100%, they turn out to be rubbish; lack of detail, lack of sharpness. It would annoy me to no end.
I have a Mavic Pro myself, and I already find most of the pictures that come out of that drone a bit disappointing.

@macinte; what is your feeling? Since you stated you want to get into photography, you may want to invest at least into a drone that can shoot images in RAW modus, as this gives you much more possibilities to increase the photo quality.

On a sidenote to the other contributers of this thread: is it possible to increase the sharpness with the Spark, like it is with the Mavics?

Sidenote 2: Not trying to bash the sparky here, it is an amazing entry-level drone, and your images are very helpful!
It is what it is. Given the price point, this was never meant for serious photography.

Also, Spark and Mavic Pro use the same imaging sensor, so it is no surprise the results are similar. There is probably a sharpness reduction in the Spark as a result of the digital stabilization, and I assume the Mavic lens to be a bit better, so really no way to fix either of those.

I am also curious about the difference between edited jpegs from spark vs edited raw from mavic pro, just to know if it's worth the additional 400$ for a refurbished mavic pro.I tried to edit 2 dng from the mavic and didn't found the advantage as expected. I mean with my Fuji X-t20 raw photos I can edit highlights and shadows without negative impact on the photo, but with mavic dng I can't go beyond -20 or +20 before it destroys the photo, so just a hair better than with jpegs. Can you confirm?

Here are a few shots I took this past Saturday. I have video too. I'm going to do some editing and then post asap. These pics are straight off the Spark with no editing.

Attachments

• DJI_0206[1].JPG
    DJI_0206[1].JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 21
  • DJI_0213[1].JPG
    DJI_0213[1].JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 27
  • DJI_0216[1].JPG
    DJI_0216[1].JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 23
  • DJI_0217[1].JPG
    DJI_0217[1].JPG