Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying Drones Near Heliports

rickster

Join
Jan 1, 2018
I am a newbie owner of a Spark who resides in central NJ. I suppose the FAA has established the "5 mile airport restriction" because that would cover larger commercial drones that have significantly more range. That restriction seems particularly unfair for Spark owners because it can't fly anywhere near 5 miles from its Home---but I assume that's just the way it is. I live an area that is mostly residential but has approximately 16 heliports, mostly corporate, and 1 Regional Airport within 5 miles of my residence and some parks where I would like to fly my Spark. It would be too time consuming to call all of them every time I wanted to fly locally. Is my only real choice to get in my car, drive somewhere with fewer or no airport restrictions, fly my drone for 20 minutes (I have 2 batteries) and go home?

The short answer regarding calling heliports is NO. I am very familiar with that area and to even attempt tracking down whom to call for notification is an exercise in futility. Sit tight and the 107 guys will surely "chime in".

Last edited:
I am a newbie owner of a Spark who resides in central NJ. I suppose the FAA has established the "5 mile airport restriction" because that would cover larger commercial drones that have significantly more range. That restriction seems particularly unfair for Spark owners because it can't fly anywhere near 5 miles from its Home---but I assume that's just the way it is. I live an area that is mostly residential but has approximately 16 heliports, mostly corporate, and 1 Regional Airport within 5 miles of my residence and some parks where I would like to fly my Spark. It would be too time consuming to call all of them every time I wanted to fly locally. Is my only real choice to get in my car, drive somewhere with fewer or no airport restrictions, fly my drone for 20 minutes (I have 2 batteries) and go home?
Rick, the law is the law and what's really an issue is many of the small airports and heliports that are not in controlled airspace don't want hobbyists to bother them! (at least from my experiences) What you can do to be totally legal is try contacting these folks and create a "Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) where you could tell them in writing that you fly your drone at a certain place and time 3x a week and you wont exceed 400 (for example)'. Many times they will be glad to have an MOU rather than having their phones continually ring.

Now the regional airport - if it's class D or higher and has a tower you do have to make contact with them. What airport? Teterbouro? I know the area, grew up on Staten Island, have a sister in Ringwood.

Rick, the law is the law and what's really an issue is many of the small airports and heliports that are not in controlled airspace don't want hobbyists to bother them! (at least from my experiences) What you can do to be totally legal is try contacting these folks and create a "Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) where you could tell them in writing that you fly your drone at a certain place and time 3x a week and you wont exceed 400 (for example)'. Many times they will be glad to have an MOU rather than having their phones continually ring.

Now the regional airport - if it's class D or higher and has a tower you do have to make contact with them. What airport? Teterbouro? I know the area, grew up on Staten Island, have a sister in Ringwood.

Thanks for the suggestion of the MOU. Is that something I just draft, send to them and have them sign and return? Can you suggest who to address the MOU to so it gets to the right person?

The airport is Central Jersey Regional formerly known as Kupper Airport. I have not researched it yet...

Thanks for the suggestion of the MOU. Is that something I just draft, send to them and have them sign and return? Can you suggest who to address the MOU to so it gets to the right person?

The airport is Central Jersey Regional formerly known as Kupper Airport. I have not researched it yet...
In regards to heliports, the way I understand it is that you only having to notify not ask for permission.

upload_2018-1-16_16-16-33.png

I would address it to the airport manager, usually found in the FAA airport directory. Try here for phone numbers: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dafd/search/advanced/
Yes - if they are willing to sign it you're in business.

Hey Rickster,

I often fly in a spot out in Long Island. There are 8 heliports and 3 airports, one including with an Air National Guard station(the other two are grass airstrips). I have contacted or tried to contact all of them. This has been my experience:

-Three of the heliports don't exist anymore the other 5, I spoke with and told me I was fine and and could fly anytime I want and don't care because their helicopters won't be anywhere near me.

-One of the grass airstrips is used for skydiving and the guy on the phone was confused so I stopped by to talk to him and he had no problem with me flying, came out to my truck to check out my drones and told me he was getting one soon. The other one, the owner emailed me a letter with permission as long as I stayed below 400' and VLOS from where I normally set up to fly.

-The Class D airport. I call them every time. It takes me two minutes. They're always nice, never give me a hard time and some of them remember me when I call.

I found all of the contact info on Airmap, Skyvector or Google by searching the name of the airfield. Sometimes it was a person in an office, sometimes it was a guy on his cellphone. The guy at skydiving school was awesome. I showed him my drones and he took me in the hanger to show my his planes and the parachutes. We hung out for over an hour.

I fly safely and recognize my actions affect you guys. I just decided one day this was be part of my adventure as I started flying drones and took some time over the course of a couple of weeks and reached out to these airports. I was pretty intimidated when I started, watched a bunch of youtube videos searched about it on this very forum. It wasn't hard, I made a new friend and I feel great knowing I'm safe and legal. Give it a try and I hope your experience is as good as mine.

-FYI The logic behind the 5 miles isn't that you'll fly your drone 5 miles into the airplanes, it that the airplanes will still be low to ground 5 miles after they take off and fly over you

Thanks for detailed reply Mrmund. I fully intend to comply with the regulations. Just got my Spark registered with the FAA and I'll start trying to contact all the helliports and Central Jersey Regional as well.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ

Could you please help me with the MOU you mentioned. Is it possible to give me a copy as a sample? Thank you.

Could you please help me with the MOU you mentioned. Is it possible to give me a copy as a sample? Thank you.

Feel free to modify - this is how I would go about this...

To: John Doe, Title

Reference: Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) for airport/ helipad XXX (FAA Desigantor)

Sir;

This MOA documents the fact that I will be periodically operating a sUAV under CFR Title 14 FAR 101.41 within five miles of your airport/ helipad. My exact location will be (state location) and days and hours of operation will be (state). I will operate at altitudes below 400' and will remain clear of any aircraft arriving or departing to/ from your facility, all in accordance with FAR 101.41. This MOA will serve as the notification required under FAR 101.41(e)

If at any time you have questions or concerns, please contact me at the phone number listed below. Thank you for your support and cooperation.

Johnny Dronegood
(333) 555-1212

Reactions: abrinser and sinaus
Feel free to modify - this is how I would go about this...

To: John Doe, Title

Reference: Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) for airport/ helipad XXX (FAA Desigantor)

Sir;

This MOA documents the fact that I will be periodically operating a sUAV under CFR Title 14 FAR 101.41 within five miles of your airport/ helipad. My exact location will be (state location) and days and hours of operation will be (state). I will operate at altitudes below 400' and will remain clear of any aircraft arriving or departing to/ from your facility, all in accordance with FAR 101.41. This MOA will serve as the notification required under FAR 101.41(e)

If at any time you have questions or concerns, please contact me at the phone number listed below. Thank you for your support and cooperation.

Johnny Dronegood
(333) 555-1212
Appreciate and thank you very much [emoji12]

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Hi there, thanks for all of the useful information. I do have a question, My house is towards the edge of a small airport. So I would call if flying inside the limit.

I have two hospitals with helipads in which my house is within the limit. Fairly close actually. Does anyone have any experience contacting the hospitals? and who you would contact there? I am thinking not to call the ER?

Thanks!

Hi there, thanks for all of the useful information. I do have a question, My house is towards the edge of a small airport. So I would call if flying inside the limit.

I have two hospitals with helipads in which my house is within the limit. Fairly close actually. Does anyone have any experience contacting the hospitals? and who you would contact there? I am thinking not to call the ER?

Thanks!
For contacting the hospitals you need to contact their air operations office, it's usually a contractor. There you could make your notification call or work out an MOA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh