Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA REGISTRATION

NRRTRAINS

Join
Jul 25, 2018
Loc
Staten Island, New York
i have a friend that has a MP and he want's me to take and fly it ( he has no time to fly ) . his MP has his FAA number on it , if i fly the MP with out him being with me at the time is it legal for me to fly a drone with someone's FAA number on it .to me i don't think so . since i would be flying his MP i think i would have to put my FAA number on his MP .
thank you

If you are flying with his FAA number, that would generate a fine from those really strict enforcers.

If you are taking to keep or have for an extended amount of time, take his number off and put yours on it.

The FAA rule states that the pilot's registration number should be on the drone. Technically it's the pilot that is registered and not the device. That's why you only have to register once and there's no update if you get a second drone.

There's no rule against having more than one number on a drone. Yet it's entirely believable that two people could equally share the same drone (ex. roommates, spouses). It just wasn't considered or addressed by the legislators.

So if you want to cover all the bases you could put BOTH numbers on the drone.

Reading the FAA rules for drones really shows how far the government has lagged behind technology. And that's a good thing!

The FAA rule states that the pilot's registration number should be on the drone. Technically it's the pilot that is registered and not the device. That's why you only have to register once and there's no update if you get a second drone.

There's no rule against having more than one number on a drone. Yet it's entirely believable that two people could equally share the same drone (ex. roommates, spouses). It just wasn't considered or addressed by the legislators.

Reading the FAA rules for drones really shows how far the government has lagged behind technology. And that's a good thing!
as for having two numbers on one drone , who would be responsible for liability in case of an accident ?. do you share the cost or would it be the person flying the drone at the time , it's a catch 22 .

Andre. Please don't muddy the waters on a web site that is designed to help people. Each drone you own must be registered with the FAA. It is that registration number that should be displayed on the drone. If he is flying for hobby he is good to go. If he is flying 107, he needs to be a Part 107 pilot or have a 107 pilot with him. I'm not sure how you got your information, but you were misinformed on a couple of things. Please don't put a bunch of different numbers on your drone. It is the drone that is registered. Not the pilot. The process to register the pilot is a whole different discussion. Thank you.

as for having two numbers on one drone , who would be responsible for liability in case of an accident ?. do you share the cost or would it be the person flying the drone at the time , it's a catch 22 .

The pilot of the drone would be responsible for any damages he caused. Same as the driver of the car. No Catch-22.
Andre. Please don't muddy the waters on a web site that is designed to help people. Each drone you own must be registered with the FAA. It is that registration number that should be displayed on the drone. If he is flying for hobby he is good to go. If he is flying 107, he needs to be a Part 107 pilot or have a 107 pilot with him. I'm not sure how you got your information, but you were misinformed on a couple of things. Please don't put a bunch of different numbers on your drone. It is the drone that is registered. Not the pilot. The process to register the pilot is a whole different discussion. Thank you.

That information is from the FAA registration web site FAQ. The rules for Part 107 (Commercial) are different than hobbyists.

The laws surrounding drones are extremely muddy - that was my point exactly.

Exactly.... When you borrow a friends car, you dont swap the Lic plates do you? When flying different Planes I dont swap the N Numbers around.... Same thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast