Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Expierences moving from phantom to spark?

Join
May 24, 2018
Loc
All over North America, based outa ch’town PE
sold 2 of three phantoms( still have a parts p3p to sell) I’m just sick of the commation it causes in public, it’s cumbersomeness to travel due to size and its inability to setup quick. There’s a few other reasons - mainly - libtard Canadian government- but I digress. So I’m looking to you fine folks to share ur exp. and maybe send some tips my way if you’ve made this move. Any help/suggestions is welcomed and TIA

Reactions: Sparkster
I fly a spark very often with my son who flies a phantom. I have to say that set up time is not that different as you usually have to wait for GPS and connect everything. So don t expect a lot of improvement on that side.
Spark is very small and i have it everywhere ! The phantom stays much more at home or in the car boot for the reason you gave.
I would love the spark with a 3d gimball. This is a strong limitation when you are used to the phantom 3D. The phantom is also much more powerfull. You get the same speed with the spark in sport mode, but then gimball is difficult to use. Going straight is ok but forget curvy path.
Anyway I prefer the spark because it is small and I do more picture than video.

Last edited:
Exactly why i got a spark... P3a was noisy and viewed as intrusive by most. Little sparky is a 'small toy' to the casual onlooker. 4k video takes a lot of processing power ,where 1080p is easier for most of us who don't intend professional productions. Its good fun to fly, and in fcc mode with windsurfers on, had adequate range too...

I'm a fellow Canadian that has a P3S and a Spark. I got the Spark at Christmas to complement my P3S. My original intent was to use it as a backup to the P3S and as a travel drone. Although, those two reasons still apply, I find I am using my Spark much more than my P3S. It's so light, small and easy to take anywhere (backpacking, etc). I take mostly photos but lately have been playing with video using AutoPilot waypoints to get more cinematic shots. The 2 axis gimbal does have its limits but once you adjust to that (slowing movements) you can overcome most of these limits.

One thing I have noticed is how the cold Canadian winter affects the Spark (not an issue now). I flew my Spark on lots of sub zero days this past winter and often had trouble with the gimbal pitch control. It was jerky or did not move at all initially. The roll axis worked normally. Now that it has warmed up (was 29ºC) today, I have not had a single problem with the gimbal pitch control. My P3S gimbal never had a problem on cold days and everything worked as usual - it just took longer for the IMU to warm up so that I could fly.

Obviously being smaller and lighter, the Spark is more affected by wind gusts. However, the Spark is easier to tell the orientation in the air because of its design.

When the Mavic Air came out I was tempted (small, 3 axis gimbal, 4K, foldable) but when unfolded the Spark is still smaller. Also, one thing that I think lots of people overlook is that the Spark is the ONLY DJI drone that is dockable via the Charging Station. This alone is a major plus for me as I can fly my 3 batteries, put everything on the Charging Station, go to my next location and be ready to fly again all without ever plugging in.

Hope this helps.

Chris

I have a P3A and bought a Spark because I couldn't afford a Mavic Air. I find the Phantom and Spark compliment each other. If I was going to shoot video for a client I'd use the Phantom. But I'm amazed at the tech DJI packed into that little Spark body. I thought I'd be disappointed with the Spark's camera, but I'm impressed. So it only shoots 1080p - that's fine for youtube or most any other non-pro purpose. As others have pointed out, it's inconspicuous in parks and other public areas and looks like a toy drone, yet it's technologically advanced. I love my Spark! :)

I was considering buying a P3 but after reading a LOT of comments like these, I got the Spark instead. I am very glad that I did. It is unfortunate that the Canadian government wants to be so restrictive on you guys. Happy and safe flying!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melba Walsh