Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Dropping stuff...

lurvas77

Join
Jan 10, 2018
Can we use our Sparks to drop things from above?... light stuff obviously, like a paper airplane, confetti, candy?

Since we don't have a "claw" I can think of a few methods:
  • Use some kind of hook. To release, you would have to do a sudden tilt or some kind of jerky movement. May not be so easy. There's a risk to drop it too soon, or that it will not drop at all.
  • Hang something on the camera gimbal. Release by tilting the camera downwards. May not be ideal since it's the most sensitive part of the drone.
  • Use some kind of third party "releaser" (RC controlled, or just a timer). Is there such a thing on the market?
Do you have any experience in this area? Please tell.

I am not necessarily a person that is slaved to every single rule/law; however, this would likely be 100% against the law no matter where you're flying. If anything were to occur it would be a high publicity incident with a potential to impact the flight restrictions that are being developed.

A major systemic concern right now is that it's relatively easy to attach dangerious items to a small drone and fly it in to a restricted area causing damage.

My $.02 would be to avoid.

Reactions: PaulsSpark104
I'm talking about releasing some candy from an altitude of 10 m, for a child's birthday party, in my own back yard... that kind of stuff. I don't think that's against the law at all.

Would you please cut and paste/reference or "Quote" the applicable portion of the FAA UAS rules regarding this law you mention?

While I've never considered dropping something from my drone, I don't recall reading it in on the FAA UAS website. Please refresh my/our memory on this...

This is what I found with regard to dropping objects from an aircraft; 14 CFR 91.15 - Dropping objects.

I am not necessarily a person that is slaved to every single rule/law; however, this would likely be 100% against the law no matter where you're flying. If anything were to occur it would be a high publicity incident with a potential to impact the flight restrictions that are being developed.

A major systemic concern right now is that it's relatively easy to attach dangerious items to a small drone and fly it in to a restricted area causing damage.

Reactions: eddie258
Would you please cut and paste/reference or "Quote" the applicable portion of the FAA UAS rules regarding this law you mention?

While I've never considered dropping something from my drone, I don't recall reading it in on the FAA UAS website. Please refresh my/our memory on this...

This is what I found with regard to dropping objects from an aircraft; 14 CFR 91.15 - Dropping objects.
I'm not in the states

Dont think the Spark is designed to carry weights. I have not personally tried it but I have seen videos on Youtube...someone strapped a action camera to the Spark to get 4k videos. It just spun out of control. So my answer is probably no....it is not plausible.

Reactions: Frantz
There are UAV's designed to carry small payloads. I'm sure the spark can also carry and release a small payloads as well. You would have to design some type of release device. As long as the weight is under what little spark can pick up it will work fine.

I don't think the Spark is up to the task you want.

However, if dropping stuff from the sky is your thing, other than the Spark itself, which is likely to happen when messing with the flight characteristics, I suggest you purchasing something from the Phantom series that has a bit more power and stability.

There's add on payload devices that can be attached and remotely dropped sold on line like this device.

I think Spark is able to carry something very light, like a paper plane. It's just that there is no release mechanism. I thought someone might have tried it already.

Never mind. I realise now that dropping things is a nervous subject, and I guess it's not the right forum for modding.

The device you're looking for is usually a modified servo, at least in the model planes world. Haven't ever used em, but they're cheap from what I know and super light (usually just a control board and the servo itself)
I'd go with what others said and use a phantom if you have one available, will carry a lot more candy.
For the paper airplane, it'd send it into a nose dive first thing or even crinkle the paper while under the aircraft, those props put down a lot to keep them up.
But after all what's life without experimentation? I hope you get it to work!

Just had a thought, for a release mechanism, have a long string attached to a small pin, the pin held in by an eye hole or rubber bands also securing the payload. It can be tied to the ground, or just held onto by someone and they pop it out when ready.
Like a release for a trebuchet

Reactions: lurvas77
Just had a thought, for a release mechanism, have a long string attached to a small pin, the pin held in by an eye hole or rubber bands also securing the payload. It can be tied to the ground, or just held onto by someone and they pop it out when ready.
Like a release for a trebuchet
For a setup like this, you could use a small downrigger release clip. I use one attached to the landing gear of the AC in my avi to take fishing lines out into Lake Erie and drop baits.

Reactions: Bubbles!!!

In the USA:

Sec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.

"No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property."

107.23 Hazardous operation.

"No person may:

(a) Operate a small unmanned aircraft system in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another; or

(b) Allow an object to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft in a manner that creates an undue hazard to persons or property."

Can we use our Sparks to drop things from above?... light stuff obviously, like a paper airplane, confetti, candy?

• Use some kind of hook. To release, you would have to do a sudden tilt or some kind of jerky movement. May not be so easy. There's a risk to drop it too soon, or that it will not drop at all.
  • Hang something on the camera gimbal. Release by tilting the camera downwards. May not be ideal since it's the most sensitive part of the drone.
  • Use some kind of third party "releaser" (RC controlled, or just a timer). Is there such a thing on the market?
I'm in the States but what you stated latter in your replies your intention is not malicious. Even in the restriction that was noted it says ..."this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage topersons or property".

Depends what country your are in.
In many it is strictly against the law to drop anything from a UAV. So I would strongly advise checking your countries aviation laws before proceeding.
For instance, in the UK it is strictly forbidden under CAP393. The Air Navigation Order and you will find yourself in very hot water if caught.

Easy fix... Rent/buy some helium or hydrogen (depending on how controlled it is in your country), get a few large balloons, fill em up.
Have them tied to an upside down bucket w/ a lid.
One side of the lid tapped, the other loose with a string stuck to it (release mechanism)
Then have it tied at all times to a brick on the ground.
No longer an aerial vehicle, just a brick decorational accessory :) that happens to drop candy... And depending on the amount of accessory lift, a lot more candy than a Spark could lol.

Reactions: The Editor
When I was a kid (long time ago) I found out you could make small parachutes with the thin plastic wrap you use to wrap tops of food bowls with. Put a kite string (4) on each corner of a square sheet. Then we would tie them to small plastic army men.

They were so light, on a very windy day you could throw them up in front of my house, and if the wind caught them just right they would launch up the slope of the roof and go up to a block away before coming down again.

Parachutes, something you could safely drop. (barring the whole legal thing). Guess you could put candy as weight.

~~~~Simple release mechanism -- plastic stick like coffee stirrer. One side attached, other side in a tiny bit of frozen ice --- ice melts, one side releases payload drops. (of course You can't be in freezing weather). No worse than small hail if it falls. Anyone killed by hail that is small?

Last edited:
Depends what country your are in.
In many it is strictly against the law to drop anything from a UAV. So I would strongly advise checking your countries aviation laws before proceeding.
For instance, in the UK it is strictly forbidden under CAP393. The Air Navigation Order and you will find yourself in very hot water if caught.

I live in the Swedish country side. A big garden with not many other houses around. I can really picture hearing the sirens in the distance after me and my kid have dropped a paper plane from 10 m height. I better not. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast