Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Does OA depend on speed?

shegeek72

Join
Apr 20, 2018
My Spark hit a tree and crashed. I'm a novice, but thought obstacle avoidance would prevent such collisions. After recovering it I did some tests trying to replicate what happened and it did beep when getting close to similar objects, but I was going much slower than the crash. Does OA actually stop the drone's flight or just give a warning beep? Why didn't it warn me when approaching the tree?

My Spark hit a tree and crashed. I'm a novice, but thought obstacle avoidance would prevent such collisions. After recovering it I did some tests trying to replicate what happened and it did beep when getting close to similar objects, but I was going much slower than the crash. Does OA actually stop the drone's flight or just give a warning beep? Why didn't it warn me when approaching the tree?
These things aren't perfect, maybe 80% of the time it will work

. Does OA actually stop the drone's flight or just give a warning beep? Why didn't it warn me when approaching the tree?

It will see a trunk, or large limbs, but not necessarily the smaller branches and twigs. If it's dense enough it will detect that also.

According to dji.com/support in answer to the questions: "What is the obstacle sensory range of the 3D sensor in the Spark? What is safe flight speed?" A: "The 3D sensor in the Spark can detect obstacles accurately within 5 meters. The Spark can fly forward safely at 3m/s [6.7 mph]." According to the flight log my max speed was 7.34 mph.

I've had mine hit some small twigs, then it kind of ricocheted hitting more, but didn't crash. It was a good thing it didn't crash because I was on a wooden bridge and it would have fallen into water.

My propellers were knicked up some, so I switched to a new set. Not absolutely necessary though. It will fly with minor knicks if that's all you have. But since I had a clean set I switched. Saved the knicked ones, if I really need them.

If intentionally flying close quarters to objects like that, not so bad to consider putting prop guards back on if they are off.

Takes some flying time to get more skill. But like anything, you can still make mistakes and hit something.

Reactions: shegeek72

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef