Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI SPARK range

OTG cable doesn't improve distance as some stated.

However it will improve slightly the video latency.

The improvement is so minimal that it is hardly noticeable by a human eye

OK. Check on the no improvement in flight distance and video latency. Now, RC to Bird in-flight disconnects vis Android:

As I read through the OTG usage threads, it appears (anecdotally) that the OTG cable solidifies the "connection" between the controller (the RC) and "the bird" vis-a-vis Android device use (however, I read that "a few" Android device users have reported that their RC to Bird connection performed without so much as a flight disconnect sans OTG cable). Is this a fair assessment?

I am an Android user (on 2 devices), and want to minimize the potential for RC to Bird intermittent disconnects; I'm not too concerned with extending manufacture spec flight distance, and want an "acceptable" video latency.

On edit: ....I too am aware that extraneous conditions could interfere with "the Bird" regardless of OTG or non OTG use (ie. GPS signal attenuation; other near-by radio signal interference; etc...), so if I get the OTG cable advantage correct, the OTG only improves the Android device to RC handshake and stability...

Last edited:
I'm on Android, new Xperia XA1Ultra, so a mid range phone.

Using the Spark as intended, not OTG, I have never had an aircraft disconnect. Also never had a disconnect from the RC. Latency for most uses is not bad. The only time I find it an issue is if fine tuning the framing on a shot.

The biggest factor in latency is the RAM in your device and how it is managed. More is better, but I would say 2GB minimum with as few background process as possible (you can google how to limit it on your device) but 3-4GB will be better.

The only special thing I do is go into airplane mode, and turn on only wifi. I have read from DJI people on rcgroups that Bluetooth will interfere. I have left mobile data on before without issues, but I don't want to be interrupted by a phone call or intangible message while flying. I have yet to find a specific need for OTG in my regular use.

Seems like a good thread to bring this up. I was flying this last Saturday, clear day, lots of open space, no buildings or other interference anywhere nearby.

I wasn't really flying for distance, but I had been flying fairly slow but constantly away. Reception was perfect. I actually turned it around because I was concerned about enough battery to make it back, and when I turned it around with camera now facing my position and Spark flying in my direction, reception immediately was bad for at least a minute or 2 before it was completely clear again.

Is this a known issue, worse or better reception depending on which way the Spark is pointing? I couldn't pinpoint any other thing it might obviously be.

I would agree with the others on the OTG. It improves your connection to the remote controller, and thats if you’re standing close to anyone with a cell phone or any other cellular or Bluetooth device. It’s still the job of the remote controller to push your aircraft further in distance. The OTG does nothing to increase your Sparks range. The only feesable way is switching to 2.4 ghz band. The downside is it’s a much busier band. The other is the parabolic dishes, and they must be pointed DIRECTLY at the aircraft.

Seems like a good thread to bring this up. I was flying this last Saturday, clear day, lots of open space, no buildings or other interference anywhere nearby.

I wasn't really flying for distance, but I had been flying fairly slow but constantly away. Reception was perfect. I actually turned it around because I was concerned about enough battery to make it back, and when I turned it around with camera now facing my position and Spark flying in my direction, reception immediately was bad for at least a minute or 2 before it was completely clear again.

Is this a known issue, worse or better reception depending on which way the Spark is pointing? I couldn't pinpoint any other thing it might obviously be.
Are you talking reception as in videofeed to your device or the signal strength as seen in the bars? Did you see the drop in bars when it happened? As far as I know it does not matter what direction its facing.

Are you talking reception as in videofeed to your device or the signal strength as seen in the bars? Did you see the drop in bars when it happened? As far as I know it does not matter what direction its facing.

I'm referring to the "warning signal is weak" message you get when it is close to activating RTH. It was fine until I rotated the Spark 180 degrees to fly it back towards me.

Very strange. The only time I’ve seen that warning is using the OTG. AND NOT a popup, the banner across the top. And it was referring to the reception from the remote to my ios device.

OTG cable doesn't improve distance as some stated.

However it will improve slightly the video latency.

The improvement is so minimal that it is hardly noticeable by a human eye ;)

Not from what I saw today. OTG is definitely better for video and response from the drone.

Unfortunately OTG will not help with longer range. Range is determined via Wi Fi (2.4 or 5.8) connection between RC and Drone. OTG only helps with better video image on the mobile screen..Also OTG only works with IOS...

Not entirely correct. The current version disabled OTG on Android. If you roll back to .15 OTG works great with Android. Just used it a couple hours ago.

You’re quite right, not sure how much, but it should.
Really, the OTG issue is a highly debatable issue. And by default subjective as well. In my case, when using my ios device, the ipod 6,
And based on my experiences using the OTG, i prefer using that charging port with a RAV Powerbank. I leave it connected with an L lightning cable thru the whole time flying. I currently have 4 Spark batteries, and need my device to last, using the ipod on full brightness will exhaust the battery in no time.
So flying time is paramount to me, as is the devices that support that endeavor. More so than a few video dropouts, if any at all.

How do i maximise the connectivity range? I'm using the controller and its connected via WI-FI. New into the hobby
Parabolic range extenders definitely do work and make sure you stay in line with the Controller. That’s easy to do in the app and here is a video I made that is a test on the extenders and shows tips to how to stay in line. I hope this helps.

Thanks Jeremiah, will check it out. I have those boosters as well. Not for distance more for the added peace of mind, with a more secure uplink.
By the way EXCELLENT presentation. No nonsense tests.
I’ve seen other videos by you, just as good.

Last edited:
If we knew exact location and position of both antennas in the Spark, we could anticipate why it acts as it is and what to do to make optimum antenna orientation.
I've been watching tear down videos and pictures, but I couldn't find this information anywhere.
I'd say that it probably is somewhere at the back, because when I did above 1000m range test, I've got 2 image transmisson weak warnings as soon as I turned it.
After 15 seconds everything was fine - as it was closer I guess.

Reactions: rich777

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar