Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Care Refresh + only accepts PayPal for payment of services! So Stupid!!

Mav2u

Join
Dec 13, 2017
DJI is a Multi-million dollar company and only accepts PayPal for payment? What idiocy is this? lol... Oh, sorry, they accept a check if you send it to them. ( Is this 1980? )

An you have to sign up for an account with PayPal if you don't have PayPal. You are Forced to sign up for a PayPal acount to process the payment, which has to be a thing between DJI and PayPal cause no other business does this that I've seen when making a payment to them through PayPal.

I just find it idiotic and comically hilarious they are so stupid they think this is acceptable to force customers through this instead of having a credit card processing system in place within the company.

So be forewarned if you hate PayPal. It's all that DJI uses apparently.

Reactions: Davenwolf
PayPal is fantastic, it's used by many companies and websites. It's extremely secure and if there are any issues, products not being delivered ETC. They will get your money back

PayPal is fantastic, it's used by many companies and websites. It's extremely secure and if there are any issues, products not being delivered ETC. They will get your money back
But customer service will give you the run around. Just try to contact them you get cut and paste automated responses. Recently i sent 5 pounds to England via Paypal and i was charged $4.99 fees. Will they respond to this? no........

Exactly what I was going to say! PayPal equals buyer protection, and you can still use the credit card of your choice with PayPal.

But yes, it's surprising DJI doesn't accept credit cards...Maybe it's because they are an international seller:confused:

Reactions: graywoulf
Exactly what I was going to say! PayPal equals buyer protection, and you can still use the credit card of your choice with PayPal.

But yes, it's surprising DJI doesn't accept credit cards...Maybe it's because they are an international seller:confused:

Probably, Here in Brazil some companies only accept local credit cards international ones don't work. Probably too complicated to go through all the channels to get money from international card. Maybe fee's as well. It also means DJI will not actually have credit card details stored, so it's actually Good, for safety.

Reactions: TangoMango
I love that they use PayPal...I can pay directly from my bank account, not using the credit cards.

Also, depending on your card, PayPal exchange fees are lower.

I love that they use PayPal...I can pay directly from my bank account, not using the credit cards.

Also, depending on your card, PayPal exchange fees are lower.

Sure, if your the kind of person who enjoys Paypal having direct access to your bank account to grab money whenever an however they want, more power to ya.

But forcing people to have to sign up as a term of allowing the processing of a credit through a business is NOT good business for people who do not want to use, have, or give Paypal all their info so that paypal will set up an account as a term of service to take payment to another merchant.

That is Shady, an information harvesting at the customers expense. The customer only finds this out after they already have their drone an now you are forced to open a account with Paypal to pay DJI for drone repair/replacement services and it is setup as a deal between DJI an Paypal to do this to their own customers with Paypal.

You are not forced to use PayPal...You said yourself they accept checks...and i would assume then that you could also use a debit card?

Most businesses have various restrictions as to what they accept as payment. It's amazing how many places will not take cash any more, which really blows my mind. Some take only Visa, others only MasterCard,. etc.

Credit card companies charge sellers huge fees, which get passed onto us, the consumer...So just maybe it's a way to help keep costs down in a competitive business.

I was more annoyed they didn't disclose up front that I'd have to register with the FAA, or that it disconnects mid flight wayyyy to often, or that not all phones will operate their products...

I have used PayPal for years and it is my preferred method of payment for anything online. Their customer service has always been there for me if I needed anything which has been rare. So easy to use in many ways. And as for buyer protection, there is nothing better that I have seen. Thanks for letting me know that DJI is wise enough to use their services. Haters gotta hate I guess.

Be grateful that it's not some weird Chinese banking system or something. PayPal are extremely secure and trustworthy

Reactions: graywoulf
PayPal is the only game in town. If you want to do business PayPal is how it is done.
Now, for an opposing view. Try to close your PayPal account. It is nearly impossible to break the links between your bank/credit card and PayPal. From what I understand, the only way it can be done is to close your bank account and credit card account that is associated with PayPal. There is no divorce. It is until death do us part.

PayPal is the only game in town. If you want to do business PayPal is how it is done.
Now, for an opposing view. Try to close your PayPal account. It is nearly impossible to break the links between your bank/credit card and PayPal. From what I understand, the only way it can be done is to close your bank account and credit card account that is associated with PayPal. There is no divorce. It is until death do us part.

I think you can if you did it over cthe phone,
And customer support is always fantastic. I've had few problems resolved quickly, even call backs to inform of updates. But they are the best virtually all my online payments are. Through them it's easier quicker and safer also. Use it for uber, no worries about having cash after ca good night out.

Ok lemme explain as someone who worked over a decade in the financial/payments industry:

Setting up a secure, easy, online payment system that also complies with the various financial privacy laws around the globe is not easy, or cheap.

The fact DJI is using PayPal, a company who has already invested in meeting those requirements, probably saves DJI, and it's customers, billions of dollars.

Security is obviously top concern for the payments industry, but it goes way beyond what you think. All payments must be encrypted end to end so as not to be hacked. Obviously. But what not many realize is that those laws specify access on the systems in between. Where I worked, lots of time and money was spent ensuring every employee had only the barest of minimum access to information required to do their job. In a company with thousands of employees, this is quite tedious.

For example: do workers need access to the full card number, a partial card number, or just a representation of that number to do work? And each worker with the different access must be able to seamlessly communicate about the same client.

Speaking of communication, privacy of the data is also important. Nobody should be able to fully correlate data if they don't have an absolute need to. And to add to that, each region has different standards. European privacy laws are different from US, which is different from Canada, etc. The reach of these laws is different, too. Maybe US law only applies to purchases in the US, while European law applies to all purchases by Europeans anywhere in the world. Failure to comply may mean the business is banned from operating in Europe. Sorting out these regulations is an expensive nightmare.

Fraud is the biggest cost to the industry, especially international fraud. As a result, much goes into ensuring the card user is the card owner. This is why DJI wants a PayPal account. DJI products for the most part are high-value items, and if a lot of them were purchased by fraud, then payment companies would not allow DJI to use them. Ie: if many people used stolen VISA cards to buy drones, VISA could say to DJI they can't accept VISA. This is because the cost of the fraud is borne by the card company. However, if DJI couldn't demonstrate that it did everything possibly to stop fraud, THEY would bear the cost. So, setting up a PayPal account, which can require verification in a few forms, it helps ensure this needed security. This is another expense that a company would incur to set this up, but PayPal has already done, and it saves DJI money by not footing the cost of stolen products.

So, I hope you can see, using a 3rd party payment company, such as PayPal (which is the most trusted worldwide), is a solid business move. It is much easier and cheaper to get on board their established systems than to try and comply to all standards in a global market.

Oh! Almost forgot the AUDITS!! Security auditors can come by at any time to ensure the systems are secured and that all regulations are being complied with. Failure to do so could mean immediately shutting down the ability to accept card payments until it is resolved. For some businesses, this means closing up shop completely. Why face that risk?

Now as for your "take money any time" statement....no, they can't. Refer to those laws I mentioned. As for the "tracking you" part....LOL!! EVERYONE is tracking you! DJI, PayPal, the credit card you use, the bank you debit from. Not even for advertising sake, or to sell your data. Algorithms are used to determine abnormal payment activity to spot fraud as it happens, to stop theft, and to make sure you aren't on the hook for a purchase you didn't make. Never got a call from your bank asking about a purchase? Then you are lucky!

Last edited:
Okay, maybe I wasn't clear in my objection! I don't have a problem with them using PayPal.

I have a problem as part of their agreement with PayPal that people who don't have a PayPal account are FORCED to sign up for PayPal account in order to make their payment of services to DJI through PayPal. This is an Agreement of FORCED signup between DJI and PayPal.

I have secure processing, it's called Amercian Express Card that I use through Blur. I DON'T need a PayPal account and I SHOULD NOT nor SHOULD ANYONE else be FORCED to signup in order to do business with DJI.

Target, Macy's, Costco, Sams Club, Walmart; doesn't force me to sign up for an account at Bank of America at checkout so they can process my credit card. That would be stupid. What if all stores decided that if you are not a member of their card processing Bank then you are forced to sign up for an account in order to pay for your goods at the checkout counter after they have already bagged them up? Is that fair? No, it is not, nor is it good business.

And everyone talking about they do business all over the world, PayPal is every where. Yeah, so is Amazon an they don't make me signup for an Account at Citi-Bank to buy crap off their website. PayPal gives a kickback to DJI for allowing the Forceful signup of NON-Paypal customers when trying to pay at DJI. People should have a choice to signup or not. Not be forced into a service they do not want and do not wish to use. An if this tis the Case, DJI should make this abundantly clear that is how they do business with PayPal.

Okay, maybe I wasn't clear in my objection! I don't have a problem with them using PayPal.

I have a problem as part of their agreement with PayPal that people who don't have a PayPal account are FORCED to sign up for PayPal account in order to make their payment of services to DJI through PayPal. This is an Agreement of FORCED signup between DJI and PayPal.

I have secure processing, it's called Amercian Express Card that I use through Blur. I DON'T need a PayPal account and I SHOULD NOT nor SHOULD ANYONE else be FORCED to signup in order to do business with DJI.

Target, Macy's, Costco, Sams Club, Walmart; doesn't force me to sign up for an account at Bank of America at checkout so they can process my credit card. That would be stupid. What if all stores decided that if you are not a member of their card processing Bank then you are forced to sign up for an account in order to pay for your goods at the checkout counter after they have already bagged them up? Is that fair? No, it is not, nor is it good business.

And everyone talking about they do business all over the world, PayPal is every where. Yeah, so is Amazon an they don't make me signup for an Account at Citi-Bank to buy crap off their website. PayPal gives a kickback to DJI for allowing the Forceful signup of NON-Paypal customers when trying to pay at DJI. People should have a choice to signup or not. Not be forced into a service they do not want and do not wish to use. An if this tis the Case, DJI should make this abundantly clear that is how they do business with PayPal.

I had to get Paypal many years ago to buy something on ebay. What was advertised on ebay isnt what I got so I sent it back. All of my experinces with ebay have been similar so I avoid it. Have never since used Paypal. I dont see what use it serves other than another hand getting a piece of the pie. Ive had numerous fradulant charges on my credit card, but the bank always covers them.

Elon Musk dropped out of the Applied Physics PhD program at Stanford after 1 day to start Paypal..huh. Oh well he made enough money from it to go on to do something useful.

Dji took my credit card for care, but maybe thats changed. I doubt if Ill ever use dji care since the spark is nearly indestructable. The biggest risk is losing it and dji care doesnt cover that.

Last edited:
Dji took my credit card for care, but maybe thats changed. I doubt if Ill ever use dji care since the spark is nearly indestructable. The biggest risk is losing it and dji care doesnt cover that.

I was thinking the same....That the DJI Store took my cc to buy Refresh. It's strange they would take a cc for one thing and not another.

I too am kind of regretting buying Refresh, as I doubt I'll need it within the year it's good for....I have heard of them covering several fly aways though, after they review the flight log and can verify it was their issue and not pilot error.

PayPal has always done me right though...I had an EBay store years ago and needed it then but it has been useful many times, and i have gotten MANY EBay refunds that I would NOT have gotten had I paid with anything other than PayPal, so I'm a huge fan.

And hey, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Complain to DJI and they might just do something about it. They made an exception for me on buying Refresh after the 3 day period to purchase was up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis