Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Crystalsky and Spark

Thomas Lisciandra

Join
Dec 31, 2017
I am confused, because of conflicting websites and documentation. Does the Crystalsky need to link to the Spark through Wi-Fi or is the USB OTG cable required?

You can use Wi-Fi or an OTG cable. The benefit of the OTG cable is that it'll eliminate one possible source of interference.

DJI sells this combination mount & cable:

medium_04bfb3aa-ca12-4301-956d-29da0b5fb4e2.jpg

They can also be found here on Amazon.

Last edited:
That is confusing considering crystal sky is an android and people are reporting that their Sparks are not working with Android and OTG connections. I know my tab S2 doesn’t.

Last edited:
DJI only supports the CrystalSky when connected via OTG. Why doesn't it work with other Android devices? Not sure.

I finally got it to connect. I had to turn everything on and then plug the OTG cable into the remote. Any other combination of powering things on, failed to connect.

I finally got it to connect. I had to turn everything on and then plug the OTG cable into the remote. Any other combination of powering things on, failed to connect.

I have found the WiFi connection to Spark from the CS is excellent. The latest update released a day or 2 ago should make it fully OTG connection friendly, but I have not yet had chance to fly with it to test it out.

I have found the WiFi connection to Spark from the CS is excellent. The latest update released a day or 2 ago should make it fully OTG connection friendly, but I have not yet had chance to fly with it to test it out.

That is confusing considering crystal sky is an android and people are reporting that their Sparks are not working with Android and OTG connections. I know my tab S2 doesn’t.
CS has the native Android system in it that should only work on dji products, it doesn’t have those bells and whistles added by different manufacturers. If you have the old Android it should work.

I have the 5.5 CS. You can't sideload DJI Go 4 or remove the go app from it. You can use OTG but you lose telemetry among other things. CS WIFI "only" until they update the DJI Go 4 app for CS to v4.2.12

Is the CrystalSky any better than an iPad?

I have the 5.5 CS. You can't sideload DJI Go 4 or remove the go app from it. You can use OTG but you lose telemetry among other things. CS WIFI "only" until they update the DJI Go 4 app for CS to v4.2.12
Thanks for verifying, from someone that actually owns one. Too many people comment with out firsthand knowledge.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere but these replies are quite old now and I think things have changed with the latest DJI Go4 app. I just acquired a refurbished Spark and the CrystalSky looks like a nice bright monitor. If it were compatible with Spark, Air, etc then I could use it if I upgrade in the future. I looked for a video on YouTube describing how to connect it to the Spark controller and DJI's own video shows only the Mavic controller with the USB-A socket. The Spark does not have a USB-A socket, it has a Micro-USB socket but it's not just a matter of connecting the controller and the screen together. I know from having tried to connect my Galaxy to the controller, that the interface needs to be a USB-OTG (on the go) interface, so that the two devices can hand control off to each other as required for virtual stick control on the Galaxy for example. With the recent update of the Go4 app, DJI apparently removed the USB-OTG firmware from the Android version of the App (I hear that the ioS version still works). This means that the only way to connect the CrystalSky with the Spark RC is via wifi, which numerous users have complained about with regards to live stream video choppiness and drop outs.

So after that long-winded intro out the way, has anyone within the last month successfully used a USB-OTG connection between the CrystalSky and the Spark RC, and if so are you sure wifi was turned off on the CrystalSky when you did it? Has anyone done it with wifi and was the live stream video working ok? I'm not about to plunk down $500 for a half working connection. Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502