Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Could gimble cover cause damage?

Stevan

Join
Nov 27, 2017
Just purchased a gimble cover and sun shield from Amazon. I've noticed they have little latches that hook onto something inside the spark, I understand these keep it in place but do do you think they could cause any damage?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 116
It's plastic latching on plastic so should not cause any damage in my opinion..

I use a gimble cover on my Spark while storing it and all is fine

Thanks for your replies. Yeah I've seen loads of people with them on, I was just concerned that taking it on and off might eventually cause damage to whatever it is latching on to.

That's the same one I bought, the above photograph was the sun shield.

That's the same one I bought, the above photograph was the sun shield.
My bad...not a fan of the sun-shields, tried 1 on my Mavic and in some instances it would get in the way of the picture/video.

Hhhmmm... Never thought about that, haven't even tried it yet but for the few pounds it cost thought it would be worth a shot.

I agree with everyone here in regards to using the sunshade as protection during traveling etc. But I purchased a sunshade via Amazon and it actually cause the gimbal to over exert itself somehow. So fly with caution if you fly with is on.

Reactions: Kanehi
The gimbal protector I purchased doesn't use any hooks to attach, friction fit around the front sensor is used to hold it in place.

Gimbal protector - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073XL14MY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the same one I have, you can see the "hook" in the first photo in your link.

Just got a new one. More or less the same except it extends a little further back to cover the downward facing sensors. Was only £1.47 as well.

New Sensor Gimbal Camera Protector Guard Lock Cover Hood Cap For DJI Spark Drone | eBay

Just purchased a gimble cover and sun shield from Amazon. I've noticed they have little latches that hook onto something inside the spark, I understand these keep it in place but do do you think they could cause any damage?

Thanks guys!

Absolutely they could cause damage!

While they protect the gimbal and camera during transport, they absolutely MUST be removed before the the power is turned ON, not just before flight. The reason is that when the drone powers up, it moves as part of initialization. The cover keeps the gimbal from moving, but the motors are trying to move it, which means stress on the internals. Unfortunately, DJI seems to have no protection which would power down, if an obstruction is detected.

Note that the Spark manual says nothing about gimbal covers/locks. On the Mavic Air, which comes from the factory with a protective cover, there is a sticker right on the cover, which tells you to remove

Well I bought two sunshades for gimbal, and BOTH of them are complete design fail. The gimbal will hit the sunshade when drone tilts to the side, you will see gimbal overload warning. Aside the warning, you could damage the gimbal motor. I use one sunshade to protect the gimbal when the Spark is in the bag. Oh yes, in sport mode, full speed forward, sunshade will cover 50% or more of the image, again because drone tilts.
Bought this third one few days ago, it seems like a good choice because the housing itself is wider, hopefully no contact with the gimbal.

Bad ones:
Sunnylife Camera Lens Hood Sunshade Protective Cover For DJI Spark

This one is AWFUL, gimbal couldn't even tilt 25-30 degrees:
Camera Lens Hood Sunshade Protective Cover For DJI Spark

And this one is hopefully good:
Camera Lens Hood Sunshade Anti-Glare Camera Gimbal protector Cover Cap for DJI Spark

The gimbal protector is for transport and storage only. It must be taken off prior to turning on the Spark.

Protectors and sunshades are two different things. Apples and oranges.

Protectors and sunshades are two different things. Apples and oranges.
The poster's subject was for the gimbal protector. Sunshades doesn't emcompass the gimbal and doesn't restict the gimbal's movement.

The poster's subject was for the gimbal protector. Sunshades doesn't emcompass the gimbal and doesn't restict the gimbal's movement.
Well it does in my case, design fail. See the links I've posted above.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bornzero2none