Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Considering adding a Spark to the mix.

Question: I just read about a supposed bug whereby the Spark misreads altitude and thinks it's lower than it is leading to crashes.
Any truth to that? Fixed?
What's real world flying time? I hear 16 and 12 minutes thrown around.
Does Sports mode shorten flying time?
I assume that collision detection is turned off in Sport mode - how good is the obstacle avoidance given it's IR and not camera based?

Make sure to read the dates of the post.
I have seen a lot of old posts coming to life recently because it covers a similar situation the new poster is asking about.
However, you cannot compare an issue with say like 0.0600 firmware to 0.1000 firmware.
Totally different issues however remotely the same they may be.

So that is what I would check first - date of original post - because I have not heard of that issue.
And I'm always here :D

Reactions: Brojon
Hmmm...not sure link works...just look up polar pro skeleton mount for spark
Found it - I have to say PolarPro dropped the ball on this one. Protect the props and leave the gimbal hanging out there. Not too bright IMHO. Don't get me wrong - I love PolarPro stuff and think I might own most of what they sell for the Mavic and Phantom 4 Pro :p
The Pgytech holster however looks great at half the price - it chose to protect the gimbal and leave the props to fend for themselves. ;)

leave the props to fend for themselves

The props are easy to take off and put on.

You could carry them in a small case.

Here's my spare prop box recycled from a cassette tape case. Works perfect.
20180224_185001.jpg

Reactions: pmshop
The props are easy to take off and put on.

You could carry them in a small case.

Here's my spare prop box recycled from a cassette tape case. Works perfect.
View attachment 5961
lol - love the labels!
I'm not concerned about the props. My entire goal is rapid deployment.
So - I'm a photographer by nature and I'm always seeing things I'd like to get a shot of and drones have made it relatively easy to get to places you can't hoof to or get a batter angle with.
But I don't want to schlep either my Mavic or P4P in their cases on a mere possibility of seeing something.
With that Pgytech holster I can have the Spark on my belt (or wear like an armband), carry the remote and launch in seconds virtually anywhere.
Who knows? Maybe I sell my Mavic and get a Mavic Air if this works out well.

lol - love the labels!
I'm not concerned about the props. My entire goal is rapid deployment.
So - I'm a photographer by nature and I'm always seeing things I'd like to get a shot of and drones have made it relatively easy to get to places you can't hoof to or get a batter angle with.
But I don't want to schlep either my Mavic or P4P in their cases on a mere possibility of seeing something.
With that Pgytech holster I can have the Spark on my belt (or wear like an armband), carry the remote and launch in seconds virtually anywhere.
Who knows? Maybe I sell my Mavic and get a Mavic Air if this works out well.

And remember that you don't need to use the remote with the Spark, you can fly it with only a smart phone. Range is limited when flying that way but might be enough for a scouting mission and would eliminate the need to carry the remote. I'm going to get one of those holsters so I can take the Spark with me on bike rides and if I see anything interesting I'll just sync it to my phone and have a quick fly.

I have both the Spark and Mavic Pro. My advice, buy the Spark - the capabilities of the two will then form a nice complement. Although the Mavic Pro is a superior product, I tend to use the Spark a bit more, mainly because it is easy to deploy, much lighter to carry and pack and a very solid performer. If you just want to go out for a quick 12 to 14 minute flight without having to think about a lot of settings, the Spark is the way to go. For those more in depth flights where you want a variety of options, the Mavic Pro should be your choice. I usually fly within 2500 feet of my home point, so either is a good choice - although with Occusync, the Mavic Pro can go a lot farther. With DJI Go now supporting the Spark OTG cable and Litchi now supporting the waypoint missions and the OTG cable for Spark, both machines have the ability to do intricate waypoint missions, although you are occasionally have some slight jerkiness with the Spark because of the 2 axis gimbal of the Spark vs the 3 axis gimbal or the Mavic Pro. The OTG cable provides very solid response and video on your device. The Spark is a very good performer - I never regretted buying as an addition to my small drone fleet.

And remember that you don't need to use the remote with the Spark, you can fly it with only a smart phone. Range is limited when flying that way but might be enough for a scouting mission and would eliminate the need to carry the remote. I'm going to get one of those holsters so I can take the Spark with me on bike rides and if I see anything interesting I'll just sync it to my phone and have a quick fly.
I'll for sure give that a try although downtown I will be concerned with interference - a lot of construction going on and that machinery is electrically noisy. My Mavic complains about it a lot. Strangely the Phantom not so much but I do have it on 5.8 so that's likely why.

I'll for sure give that a try although downtown I will be concerned with interference - a lot of construction going on and that machinery is electrically noisy. My Mavic complains about it a lot. Strangely the Phantom not so much but I do have it on 5.8 so that's likely why.

You can have the Spark on 5.8 too. I live in the middle of a busy city and the few times I've flown with just the mobile phone it worked fine, but obviously results may vary.

About the Spark camera I think I read somewhere that it is the same 4k that is on the Mavic but cropped down and called 1080. Any one know?
It's the same sensor but wider field of view.
Same photo size
Video is not only limited to 1080p 30 fps but is also only 24 mbps video stream.
My suspicion is that it is only HD due to processor limitations.
Cynics say it's to keep from robbing Mavic sales.
Some folks think the cropped area is for image stabilization but even if it does that wouldn't preclude 2.7K
In fact someday we might even get 2.7k - but I highly doubt 4k.

Reactions: Tsurf80
You can have the Spark on 5.8 too. I live in the middle of a busy city and the few times I've flown with just the mobile phone it worked fine, but obviously results may vary.
Good to know - 5.8 definitely works better on my Phantom.
While we're on the topic of control it never occurred to me to really look into palm takeoff. It turns out that double pressing the power button triggers it but you have to have the camera facing your face. No biggie there.
I assume that you can then take control using the phone or remote without having to select another mode?
How about landing on your palm - I read some strange waving both hands gesture.
That would mean you have to put it back into a gesture mode, then wave hands?
I'd think it would be easier to fly back and catch it. I assume it will power down if you turn it over?
Would this be better as its own topic?

Good to know - 5.8 definitely works better on my Phantom.
While we're on the topic of control it never occurred to me to really look into palm takeoff. It turns out that double pressing the power button triggers it but you have to have the camera facing your face. No biggie there.
I assume that you can then take control using the phone or remote without having to select another mode?
How about landing on your palm - I read some strange waving both hands gesture.
That would mean you have to put it back into a gesture mode, then wave hands?
I'd think it would be easier to fly back and catch it. I assume it will power down if you turn it over?
Would this be better as its own topic?

Yes, you can take control of it with the remote after palm launching it. I think to have to disable gesture control in the app to get full speed and range back but that's easy to do. To get the automatic palm landing I think you need to put it back in gesture mode, but you can always just stick your hand out and use the remote to land it on your hand, I've done it several times and it's easy. Or do what I do, bring it down to about 5' high, grab it and turn it on its side real quick to shut it down.

The waving hand gestures you're referring to is probably the signal to call it home, you stick your arms up like you're making the Y in YMCA and then it moseys on over to you and waits for you to put your hand out so it can land. Once you figure out the hand gestures they're kinda cool and can be useful. I can take it with me on a bike ride, use gesture control to send it up and then it will follow me while I'm riding with no need for a remote and it's up and running in a matter of seconds.

So I watched more videos and read more reviews and felt confident enough to pull the plug on a Spark. Snagged a new Fly More combo off fleaBay for $460 which I think is pretty good since I can't find anyplace that has them discounted. The current discount is for the controller + Spark for $400. Considering the extra battery, props and charger I felt like the flymore was the way to go.
One of the things that sold me was the ability to charge through the USB port. That's dang handy as I have a really good Ankar 22,000 maH portable pack. It was not clear if the remote could also be charged this way .
Somewhere I saw a deal on two batteries I have to dig up.
Next question - ND filters. I don't want to do another round of PolarPro filters (I think I personally bumped them into the red last year ;) ). Any cheap but decent ND's running around?

Awesome, mate! You really did much better than I did; bought a refurbished unit from DJI, set me back €519,- ... Then again, I am as happy as a little kid, already planning my first formation flight with the Spark and the Mav! :)

With regards to ND filters... no clue man! Not sure whether I want to go all out with the Spark... it should remain a quick, simple "grab'n'n go" kinda thing for me. Don't really want to bother with filters.

You could have just got a refurbished one from Dji fly more combo and its less worries about it. But don't think that the spark is better. If you don't calibrate your compass before each flight you can lose it. I lost mines on my flight. Something to think about.

You could have just got a refurbished one from Dji fly more combo and its less worries about it. But don't think that the spark is better. If you don't calibrate your compass before each flight you can lose it. I lost mines on my flight. Something to think about.

It's recommended to only calibrate the Spark compass when prompted by the app or when you've traveled a couple hundred miles from your normal flying area.

Huh? Sorry man, don't get what you're saying.
As far as compass calibration many people seem unaware that the only purpose of the compass is heading.
You should ONLY calibrate if the app says to or your location is quite a distance from the last flight. Even then it's not IMHO totally necessary. The worst is when I see people say calibrate if you have magnetic interference - that's NOT the time to calibrate because after you start flying and are outside the magnetic interference now your compass is well and truly off kilter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis