Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Connect RC controller for dummies

Jeplane

Join
May 26, 2017
Loc
Dallas, TX
The Spark is my first drone, so I am hoping to find someone in this forum who will be kind and patient with the following...:)

I have been able to fly it via WIFI, and using my iPad. Fine, no probs, but obviously, distance and height is severely limited.

I now have a controller, and a Mavmount mount to attach the iPad to it.

But how do I tell the iPad/RC controller/Spark to talk to each other?

This is where you come in.

Pls talk to me like if I was a 4 year old.

Thanks!

Reactions: brasda91
This video is a little bit too advanced for a 4 year old, but I trust you will understand it:

Thanks! Great video!

Now this brings up the next question:

When it is time to go fly, what would be the proper sequence to start everything?

Turn on RC controller- Connect iPad to RC WIFI- Open DJI GO app-Turn on Spark in this order?

Thanks again...

-Spark
-Controller (wait for connect to Spark)
-App (wait for connect to controller)
-Cable from controller to phone

I thought it was a no no to start the aircraft first, without a way to control it if it goes full power?

I thought DJI doesn’t want us to have a cable from controller to device and therefore the new updates make this connectivity inop?

I’m using iPhone and have been using this process based on others comments from these forums. I’ve had no trouble to date.
As far as the cable, my readings indicate...
don’t use it on non-iOS devices.
and it’s a toss up whether there’s benefit on iOS devices.
Like I said, I’ve always used this startup process with no troubles.

Other side note things I do,
-airplane mode
-Bluetooth off
-forget saved WiFis except controller so it phone connects to controller every time.

Hope others weigh in just in case I’m sitting out there in left field. [emoji848]

I use a iPad Mini dedicated for use with spark so I have it set to only connect to RC's wifi.

Power on RC.
Power on Spark.
Wait for steady green light on RC.
Open app on iPad.
Go fly.

Reactions: Spark 317
-Spark
-Controller (wait for connect to Spark)
-App (wait for connect to controller)
-Cable from controller to phone

From what’s coming in, I’ll probably reverse Spark/Controller sequence. Had never thought about a full power flyaway. Guess I also better keep an eye on my fingers during Spark power up.

I need facts, has anyone heard off a 'power flyaway'? That is some scary thought ...power up and "puff" -the Spark is gone :eek::eek:

Reactions: Rafa7
Just went through the entire Spark and controller manuals. NO mention of OTG cable, so I’m dropping that from my startup process until comes a day they actually, documentation-wise, support it.

Reactions: NyJosh
Just went through the entire Spark and controller manuals. NO mention of OTG cable, so I’m dropping that from my startup process until comes a day they actually, documentation-wise, support it.

OTG is still suppoted in iOS. Of course you're free to stop using it, but there have been plenty of users stating how well it works in iOS. You may never see it documented from DJI, lol.

OTG is still suppoted in iOS. Of course you're free to stop using it, but there have been plenty of users stating how well it works in iOS. You may never see it documented from DJI, lol.

Thinking out loud here...If it’s not officially supported (documented) and something goes haywire and I’m using the “un-supported” cable, doesn’t that give DJI an out on responsibility? If it’s not really buying me that much, why take that chance?
Can anyone point me to documentation that says it’s supported for Spark on iOS? If it’s there, I must have missed it.

I hear ya and I get where you're coming from. I don't use iOS, buuuttt I did have an opportunity to get out a little bit ago and test OTG on my android tablet using the .15 version and wow, what a difference compared to the latest version. No lag on the screen and input to the drone was smooth. Gimbal movements were nice and smooth as well. I'll be staying on .15 until DJI updates the app to support OTG.

To be clear: OTG "works" on iOS but is not and never has been supported by DJI for Spark. You're definitely on your own if you have a mishap and DJI blames it on you using an OTG cable.

Thinking out loud here...If it’s not officially supported (documented) and something goes haywire and I’m using the “un-supported” cable, doesn’t that give DJI an out on responsibility? If it’s not really buying me that much, why take that chance?
Can anyone point me to documentation that says it’s supported for Spark on iOS? If it’s there, I must have missed it.

What you described is exactly a real possibility. If your drone decides to chase the moon and you never see it again and DJI sees you were using OTG in your logs, they can just point at that and say "user error / unsupported config". DJI has never supported OTG on Spark. As mentioned above - "works" does not mean "supported".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis