Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Compass calibration

Jangles

Join
Feb 20, 2018
I've flown my spark now about 4 times at different parks around town, I re calibrate the compass at each location, Ive heard pros and cons about doing this, what are you all doing?

I was doing the same thing you are doing (when I was a newer pilot, I'm still new but with a little more experience now lol). But what I am doing now is not calibrating my Spark unless I am prompted by the DJI GO 4 App. Further more, if I happened to be prompted to calibrate the Spark by the App, I will always first relocate my launching location to another better location with less possible interference and see if the calibration prompt resolves itself by the new improve location (...and so far always-always the calibration prompt has gone away).

BTW - there are many other treads about this subject, those will help you on your search for becoming a better Spark pilot. Fly safe.

Reactions: DesertWindAero
Only need to calibrate the compass when the App prompts you to do so. I travel a lot with my Spark, across borders, and never have a need to re calibrate the compass.

I've flown my spark now about 4 times at different parks around town, I re calibrate the compass at each location, Ive heard pros and cons about doing this, what are you all doing?
Follow up, forgot to mention, I have an aluminum Ipad holder

I forgot to mention, I have am aluminum pad holder and I read no metal, take your watch off etc. ? Think the Ipad holder would screw it up?

In my opinion it's good practice to do it as some people reported Fly Aways due to compass errors. There is message before the flight when the AC thinks it needs recalibration. I used to do it everytime but since I never encountered the compass error message again I don't do it anymore.

Only calibrate the compass when the app prompts you to calibrate in multiple locations.

I have am aluminum pad holder and I read no metal, take your watch off etc. ? Think the Ipad holder would screw it up?
Only magnetic metal objects will affect the compass.

If you set all of your gear on the ground, take a few steps away, and then calibrate the compass, you'll be far enough away from anything metallic (assuming those objects aren't on your person).

Manual says that even your phone should be away from the drone during calibration.

Start the calibration then out your phone and RC on the ground. Take a few steps away, and do the calibration. Watch the screen for what step you are on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef