Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Can I fly in Greece?

jrambonnet

Join
Aug 1, 2017
I'm planning a trip to Greece in November and was wondering if anyone knows if I can take it and fly it. I suspect I can't around any archeological sites but otherwise??? Problems with customs? Any advise would be appreciated. Don't want my Spark to be confiscated.

Went in Crete island of Greece 2 weeks ago, no problem. Third years there with drones. No issues with customs or security, same process as in any other European country. As you said, there are some specific critical areas where it is better not to flight in addition to the usual one. You have maybe to take more attention, maybe more in summer, about any kind of flying object (parachutes driven by boats b.e.) near beaches and as there could be sometimes helicopter flying fast and low. Also good to check (like on UAV Forecast app) before planning to fly for any nearby airports as they are NFZ by law but DJI don't mark them as NFZ.
But apart from that, all positive, beautiful country.

Went in Crete island of Greece 2 weeks ago, no problem. Third years there with drones. No issues with customs or security, same process as in any other European country. As you said, there are some specific critical areas where it is better not to flight in addition to the usual one. You have maybe to take more attention, maybe more in summer, about any kind of flying object (parachutes driven by boats b.e.) near beaches and as there could be sometimes helicopter flying fast and low. Also good to check (like on UAV Forecast app) before planning to fly for any nearby airports as they are NFZ by law but DJI don't mark them as NFZ.
But apart from that, all positive, beautiful country.

Thank you!

Just got back from a cruise and just packed my spark together with my camera gear and not once did they do a double take on it. I flew it in Athens and Santorini and not a whole lot of people took notice since it was quiet. However, I wouldn't attempt to fly it up the Acropolis since it was really windy up there and someone might actually say something. I flew it in Santorini but not in ouia since there were some signs posted for no drones. Here's a clip from when I flew it in Fira.

Reactions: jrambonnet
Just got back from a cruise and just packed my spark together with my camera gear and not once did they do a double take on it. I flew it in Athens and Santorini and not a whole lot of people took notice since it was quiet. However, I wouldn't attempt to fly it up the Acropolis since it was really windy up there and someone might actually say something. I flew it in Santorini but not in ouia since there were some signs posted for no drones. Here's a clip from when I flew it in Fira.

I'm going to Greece on a Cruise next week. Did you have any issues on boarding the ship with the Spark?. Any suggestions?.

Thanks!

No problem. I was on a cruise in italy and greece and another passenger had a mavic. The entrance to the ship looks like in the airport. Including the scanner.

Do not try to fly while flowing. The ship flows pretty fast and you can not catch up with it ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikimbin
I'm going to Greece on a Cruise next week. Did you have any issues on boarding the ship with the Spark?. Any suggestions?.

Thanks!

I wouldn't think so. Had it in my camera sling case the whole time and it got scanned multiple times without issue. If you want to make sure, just take off the props. Then it looked just like a toy or something. Have fun!

Reactions: Mikimbin
In Greece you can only fly toygrade Distances which are 50m height and 50m distance..for further distances you need to get a permission before every single Flight. These are the regulations in Greece!!

Reactions: asaulo1
Reactions: JeyTea
So globally a tourist with a drone, need a week to visit and plan flight in advance, a week or more to get authorizations from administration. Search for nearest police station before each flight and advise them. LOL

Reactions: asaulo1
I guess Greece is technically a NFZ for tourists. That's a shame since there are tons of places there that would make an epic shot/footage.

If you dont fly in the NFZ, at least 50m height/range is possible without having to fill out PDFs... biggest problem is not only for tourists but everyone one the nice and beautiful islands: most of them have an airport which means there is a a huge 8km (5miles) NFZ around it.

Im here now... fly with caution, thats all.

Youre not supposed to speed here either but people drive like ____holes anyways. A cop MIGHT show up but from what Ive seen in my last 11 trips here, they wont. Youre not supposed to avoid paying Metro/Subway fares either but people here do it all the time with no repercussions. Id think these points are more important for the authorities to watch out for over a baby drone flying around... if youre going long distance, then ithink you should by all means adhere to the guidelines.

I flew in Athens, Amorgos, Patmos, Koufonissi, Euboeia and didnt have any problem nor did anyone care.

Im here now... fly with caution, thats all.

Youre not supposed to speed here either but people drive like ____holes anyways. A cop MIGHT show up but from what Ive seen in my last 11 trips here, they wont. Youre not supposed to avoid paying Metro/Subway fares either but people here do it all the time with no repercussions. Id think these points are more important for the authorities to watch out for over a baby drone flying around... if youre going long distance, then ithink you should by all means adhere to the guidelines.

I flew in Athens, Amorgos, Patmos, Koufonissi, Euboeia and didnt have any problem nor did anyone care.
Interesting and thanks for the info!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502