Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Battery travel on aircraft

Paulybronco

Join
Dec 12, 2017
Loc
Sunny Qld
Anyone travelled internationally with their Spark had any issues with customs etc regarding transporting the batteries......i am led to believe that under some severe temps they could catch fire. Urban myth or fact

Fact!, but that's not the important part for you.

FAA requires that you keep all Lithium polymer batteries in carry on not checked under the plane.
I'm not going to look up the statute tonight but you can google it and it really based on science, nobody likes an unattended fire below the aircraft you're flying in...
DON"T try to bring any drone you want to keep to Nicaragua, at least right now. Most airport staff won't hassle you and recognize it';s just a camera, Search on this forum about the country/countries you will be visiting for some good beta. Spark travels well.

Please remember YOU are an ambassador for all of us and how you behave on your holiday affects the rest of us.

Post your trip pics here!

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Not headed that way, off to Vietnam so have around 2.5 months to learn to fly and bond with my new toy before we go. Hope to be an example of discretion rather than a embarrassment to my new found hobby

I'm an Engineer, whenever someone claims that something is "Fact" without citing the source of the "Fact", I'm skeptical. IMO, if someone says its fact, the fact needs to come from a reputable source/site. Not "I read it on another forum; I know a guy(s) that this happened to; This once happened to me; Bob has been using for Lipos for years so he's an expert, etc" An actual study in a controlled environment with either known or minimized variables conducted by those that are experts in the field...

I also ask the OP what do they consider "severe"? Are we talking like being left in a hot car in the middle of a hot Arizona summer? Are we talking putting it in environments outside the manufacturers recommended operating temps?

Fact!, but that's not the important part for you.

FAA requires that you keep all Lithium polymer batteries in carry on not checked under the plane.
I'm not going to look up the statute tonight but you can google it and it really based on science, nobody likes an unattended fire below the aircraft you're flying in...
DON"T try to bring any drone you want to keep to Nicaragua, at least right now. Most airport staff won't hassle you and recognize it';s just a camera, Search on this forum about the country/countries you will be visiting for some good beta. Spark travels well.

Please remember YOU are an ambassador for all of us and how you behave on your holiday affects the rest of us.

Post your trip pics here!

I have been to Spain and Iceland in the past 3 months with my Spark and 6 batteries with no problems. Spark batteries carried as hand luggage. Leaving Spain I did get asked to take all the contents out of my rucksack and the officer checked the electronics. He saw the drone, batteries, tablets and cameras and only mentioned about me having a lot of toys and let me go on my flight back to the UK.

Many thanks, two points arise. The faa link is invalid. Secondly i am not in the USA and not traveling in that direction but headed to Vietnam. Thanks for at least taking the time for your imput.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewDatcu