Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Battery charging issue

shotkit

Join
Sep 6, 2017
Hi guys. New here so apologies if this has been duplicated somewhere. I got a Spark from Amazon.ca and live in Australia (only mentioning this in case it's a voltage issue). The issue I have is that the Spark's batteries don't seem to charge consistently via the mini USB. If I use a portable power bank, the charging lights don't come on at all, and if I plug via usb to a wall plug adapter, the lights may come on (50:50 chance), and if they do, charging either won't go past 2 bars or just takes ages. If I use the actual DJI battery charger, everything is fine. Thoughts?

To charge a battery through the Spark, you need a USB power source that can deliver at least 2A. Most of simple USB adapter or computer port can only provide 1A and will not enable charging. On portable power bank sometimes not all USB port can provide 2A and deliver only 1A.

Hi guys. New here so apologies if this has been duplicated somewhere. I got a Spark from Amazon.ca and live in Australia (only mentioning this in case it's a voltage issue). The issue I have is that the Spark's batteries don't seem to charge consistently via the mini USB. If I use a portable power bank, the charging lights don't come on at all, and if I plug via usb to a wall plug adapter, the lights may come on (50:50 chance), and if they do, charging either won't go past 2 bars or just takes ages. If I use the actual DJI battery charger, everything is fine. Thoughts?
New Spark battery wont take a charge.

I just make a test with an ampmeter and on a power bank labeled 1A on the USB socket, it worked, but it delivered 2A in reality.
On a smaller wall AC power block, the USB is rated 1A and it deliver only 0.5A during the charge of battery but it seems to work. Will see if it finish charging. It is expected it will take at least 4 times more.

In fact I tested with a wall mount AC power block that can deliver only 0.55A.
It worked, start 12:00 and finish at 20:15 for a charge from 2 to 4 LEDs. The battery reached fully charge state and voltage was correct in Go4app as 12.76 V.
A battery freshly charged in the hub indicate 12.85V.
So it seems that Spark can charge the battery even with weak power source, it just take much more long.

From a computer it don't charge the battery because probably it sees it as data link. The computer will not give full power if it didn't see any reason to do.

May the OP had a bad USB cable?

Another battery issue with Spark over here.. Spooky hearing Sparks dropping out of the air nowadays..

Batt 01 & Batt 02 (flymore kit) Batt 03 (amazon)..

all 3 successful Sept 1st firmware updated.

Batt 03 one morning would Not light up at all when i was checking charges for the day.. Multiple attempts to initiate a charge..

So i installed Batt 03 into Spark plugged into computer system- 1st attempt to power-on failed, 2nd attempt worked and i ReFlashed the firmware to Batt 03..

Just now this morning (over coffee) i check power levels and place Batt 01 and 02 on the charger.. Only Batt 02 is charging, nothing on Batt 01..

All batts cool as they sat all night from yesterday's flights.. Also adding, i Never even Think of charging a warm or hot battery.. Ever..

And Boom while typing this i turn and Batt 01 is begining to charge..

okay scratch this post, other than Batt 03 info to restart the battery..

Another battery issue with Spark over here.. Spooky hearing Sparks dropping out of the air nowadays..

Batt 01 & Batt 02 (flymore kit) Batt 03 (amazon)..

all 3 successful Sept 1st firmware updated.

Batt 03 one morning would Not light up at all when i was checking charges for the day.. Multiple attempts to initiate a charge..

So i installed Batt 03 into Spark plugged into computer system- 1st attempt to power-on failed, 2nd attempt worked and i ReFlashed the firmware to Batt 03..

Just now this morning (over coffee) i check power levels and place Batt 01 and 02 on the charger.. Only Batt 02 is charging, nothing on Batt 01..

All batts cool as they sat all night from yesterday's flights.. Also adding, i Never even Think of charging a warm or hot battery.. Ever..

And Boom while typing this i turn and Batt 01 is begining to charge..

okay scratch this post, other than Batt 03 info to restart the battery..

The charger in the fly more has a temp regulator and will not start charging until the temp is within it's acceptable range. I have found the charging to be a bit termermental with the Spark but find that waiting a bit things seem to sort them selves out. I would be interested in a multi charger (charge each battery at same time) similar to what we have with the MP for the Spark.

awe sheesh.. (didn't read the post)

no all batteries were sitting all night long

i check voltages in the morning over coffee
(see what needs charging)

so no notta thermal thing.. as post mentioned, i will Never charge a warm hot or otherwise battery..

But thanks for readn enough to reply

I have had this issue with the dock. I put the battery in, do a power up, then power down while in the dock, 1 light will show and then it will start charging. Falling spark issues is the locking clamps on the battery when you insert it into the Spark. 1 will sometime not click into place properly. I always listen and feel for 2 clicks and check for lose battery clamps.

Sent from my SM-G955F using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast