Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Autopilot vs. Litchi

Excellent comparison!

I have been using Litchi and have, mostly, learned how to work around its shortcomings. It's best feature is the web interface. I use it as a hobbiest, with a Spark and a Mavic Pro. It is the only flight control app I use and it seems to do everything I want.

Correct
But some people (including me) use these apps also with my Spark
Your Spark can do much more then only selvies
I tried autopilot with my Spark just went up to 40meters and stayed there. Was not responding and I did use the Otg and iOS. Now I bought the Spark Pro app but didn’t have a chance to try. Looks very simple though.
(Mavic Pro and Spark x 2)

I have a decent amount of experience with Litchi waypoint missions on a P3A. I really like the online mission designer. I tested Litchi on the Spark today and confirmed it works. However, for some reason you can't use an OTG cable with Litchi and the Spark, you have to connect your phone to the Spark wifi. And even though I had just rebooted my phone (Galaxy Note 4) the Litchi app did crash on me several times, I was able to run it again and connect back to the Spark with no problems but still annoying. I will try again in Airplane mode with nothing but Wifi on.

But for what I really want Litchi for, waypoint missions, it works great. Log in to Litchi Mission Hub, design your mission, save it, then when flying in Litchi on your phone switch to Waypoint mode and load the mission. Press Play and the mission is uploaded the the Spark and off it goes. I confirmed the mission continues even when the controller completely loses signal with the Spark. You can save lots of missions and set parameters at each waypoint like altitude, heading, focus on POI, start recording, stop recording, etc.

Last edited:
I tried autopilot with my Spark just went up to 40meters and stayed there. Was not responding and I did use the Otg and iOS. Now I bought the Spark Pro app but didn’t have a chance to try. Looks very simple though.
(Mavic Pro and Spark x 2)

If you use the Spark without OTG, Autopilot works fine.
Maybe I should make a new video for Spark and Autopilot. Good idea

Reactions: Haggi and koffe
If you use the Spark without OTG, Autopilot works fine.
Maybe I should make a new video for Spark and Autopilot. Good idea
I for one, that have appreciated all your videos, would really welcome that idea. The Autopilot is a very competent program, that I am still struggeling with to learn more about.

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
I'm just making my pre-flight idea.
So, I have already started. Maybe a dedicated Autopilot tut too

Reactions: koffe
Thanks for sharing your video and efforts.

I am a big fan of Litchi but if AutoPilot wasn't from Hangar I would give it a try. They seem to be re-directing their efforts towards Commercial/Enterprise endeavors and leaving the rest in the dust as-is.

Thanks for sharing your video and efforts.

I am a big fan of Litchi but if AutoPilot wasn't from Hangar I would give it a try. They seem to be re-directing their efforts towards Commercial/Enterprise endeavors and leaving the rest in the dust as-is.
I'm afraid you are correct. But I remain of the opinion that Autopilot is a super app.
Working on Pt 2 of this video

I have a decent amount of experience with Litchi waypoint missions on a P3A. I really like the online mission designer. I tested Litchi on the Spark today and confirmed it works. However, for some reason you can't use an OTG cable with Litchi and the Spark, you have to connect your phone to the Spark wifi. And even though I had just rebooted my phone (Galaxy Note 4) the Litchi app did crash on me several times, I was able to run it again and connect back to the Spark with no problems but still annoying. I will try again in Airplane mode with nothing but Wifi on.

But for what I really want Litchi for, waypoint missions, it works great. Log in to Litchi Mission Hub, design your mission, save it, then when flying in Litchi on your phone switch to Waypoint mode and load the mission. Press Play and the mission is uploaded the the Spark and off it goes. I confirmed the mission continues even when the controller completely loses signal with the Spark. You can save lots of missions and set parameters at each waypoint like altitude, heading, focus on POI, start recording, stop recording, etc.
Wait, you are saying you can use Litchi with the Spark? When I tried it, it said it was incompatible.

I was trying an OTG cable, however. I'm trying to figure out how you can use it with wifi - I have a Galaxy 6 that works great with my Mavic and Litchi. However, if the Galaxy 6 (no cellular plan, wifi only) is connected to the Spark, how do you load the missions created on the Litchi Mission Hub with no internet connection? I can connect to my other phone's wifi hotspot, but then it won't be connected to the Spark.

I use AutoPilot and Litchi with both of my drones (Spark and P3S). I don't often use Litchi with my Spark because AutoPilot does all of the automated flights better. AutoPilot's ability to customize almost every aspect of a mission makes it especially useful but more complex and therefore has a steeper learning curve. AutoPilot has been designed for drones that have 3 axis gimbals, but it is compatible and does work with the Spark. What I have found is that with the Spark, AutoPilot is not as forgiving if a setting is not exactly right whereas with my P3S it seems more forgiving.

For example, I planned a waypoint mission that had the Spark do a 360º spherical pano at a specific waypoint and another 180º pano at another waypoint as well as record video and other tasks throughout the mission. When I initially ran the mission the Spark just stopped at the waypoint with the 360º pano and hovered and did not continue the mission. After, searching this forum and doing some tinkering of my own, I discovered that I had the gimbal pitch set for -90º and since the Spark cannot pitch down to 90º it would just stop there and the mission would hang. When I reset the gimbal pitch to -84º the Spark completed the Spherical pano and continued the mission. So if you are having problems with AutoPilot not working as expected with Spark, it is possible that a setting is not set properly in AutoPilot.

I also feel like others have mentioned, that Hangar seems to be not putting as much effort into AutoPilot any longer. I have contacted support on a number of occasions and I may initially get a reply but then there is no more follow-up from them. It's disappointing, as AutoPilot in my opinion is one of the best automated flight software programs available.

Chris

Reactions: koffe
Wait, you are saying you can use Litchi with the Spark? When I tried it, it said it was incompatible.

I was trying an OTG cable, however. I'm trying to figure out how you can use it with wifi - I have a Galaxy 6 that works great with my Mavic and Litchi. However, if the Galaxy 6 (no cellular plan, wifi only) is connected to the Spark, how do you load the missions created on the Litchi Mission Hub with no internet connection? I can connect to my other phone's wifi hotspot, but then it won't be connected to the Spark.

Yes absolutely, I have flown 4 or 5 Litchi missions at this point as recently as today. I have to connect to the Spark Wifi though. Even though in another thread someone said that Litchi has been patched for OTG on Android, I couldn't get it to connect today.

I've found if you're flying waypoint missions with automatic recording and gimbal control, having to use a Wifi connection isn't too big of a deal.

I'm pretty sure I was in airplane mode with no mobile data last few missions I flew. Perhaps when you run Litchi while you're connected to the Internet, it will sync/download the missions to your phone? I think that's how it works. You could run Litch with Wifi, view your missions, exit Litchi, turn off Wifi, then run Litchi and see if your missions are there.

Reactions: jimlips and BigAl07
Spark works fine with Litchi. But also with Autopilot. Just don't use that bloody OTG cable. I am almost done with filming. Today is a beautiful day again (it's still winter here) so all flying should be completed . Including AirSpace.

Yes absolutely, I have flown 4 or 5 Litchi missions at this point as recently as today. I have to connect to the Spark Wifi though. Even though in another thread someone said that Litchi has been patched for OTG on Android, I couldn't get it to connect today.

I've found if you're flying waypoint missions with automatic recording and gimbal control, having to use a Wifi connection isn't too big of a deal.

I'm pretty sure I was in airplane mode with no mobile data last few missions I flew. Perhaps when you run Litchi while you're connected to the Internet, it will sync/download the missions to your phone? I think that's how it works. You could run Litch with Wifi, view your missions, exit Litchi, turn off Wifi, then run Litchi and see if your missions are there.

Thanks for the info! I flew a couple of waypoint missions today on the Spark, worked pretty well. See this video link:
. Note I flew the mission the Spark first, then the Mavic Pro. The Mavic seems much more stable. The Spark is a little "wobbly". It was a little breezy, and the weather was changing. I'd like to do the mission at the same time, with the exact same mission, but maybe one a little higher than the other to keep them from colliding. I guess I'd have to change the resolution on the Mavic to 1920x1080 to match the Spark, right? I usually set the resolution to on the Mavic to 2720x1530.

The Mavic is a different drone and specially the camera is two classes better.
I finished today my comparison between the Mavic and the Spark with Autopilot and Litchi. Tomorrow some finishing with AirSpace and then editing.
To be clear.... the Spark is fine.

PS, I use both Autopilot as Litchi for over 2 years (over a 1000 flights)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast