Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Another victim of battery popping off

Killerbrew

Join
Apr 27, 2018
So, it happened to me. About 100 ft up and flying around no more than 500 ft. I'm still new to drones. Wasn't in sport mode and had thought I checked the battery before taking off. Apparently not good enough. My little spark fell from the sky but luckily it landed in some tall grass. Couldn't find the battery. Everything looked fine. I swapped propellers to be safe and put another battery in to see if it worked. It took a bit to connect to the controller but I was able to take off. I landed immediately and haven't flown again.
I wanted to see if there was anything that I should double check to ensure no issues before I start flying again.

Reactions: Sparkster
Have you looked to see what generation of battery you have?

No idea on the battery. I cant find it now. I do follow the process of inserting and pulling to check it but not repeating. Seems that would cause more wear. I'm looking at just getting one of the many options for a holder. That way I won't have to worry about it.
If the spark flies and seems fine should I be ok to assume all is well and there's not any hidden damage?

Reactions: Sp@rkyPilot55
I would write to DJI and or call and ask if they will send you a battery
And also post on DJI page (FB) and that will get their attention on this frequent problem

Reactions: Perus
So, it happened to me. About 100 ft up and flying around no more than 500 ft. I'm still new to drones. Wasn't in sport mode and had thought I checked the battery before taking off. Apparently not good enough. My little spark fell from the sky but luckily it landed in some tall grass. Couldn't find the battery. Everything looked fine. I swapped propellers to be safe and put another battery in to see if it worked. It took a bit to connect to the controller but I was able to take off. I landed immediately and haven't flown again.
I wanted to see if there was anything that I should double check to ensure no issues before I start flying again.
I would suggest investing in a battery bucket this a very inexpensive they clip to the arms that lead to your motor run across the battery holding the battery firmly in place. I found the one I purchased on ebay but I have seen them on amazon as well

There should not be any reason for them to pop off, once you've done the snap&Tug test. DJI would only consider it a design flaw, if they had received a great number of batteries coming loose.

DJI should exchange first gen batteries, for better designed 2nd gen, at no expense to consumers, NO questions asked!

Reactions: Perus
What is the difference between 1st and 2nd generation? Is there a Serial number we should look at?

This shouldn't have to be a thing... If it was a small, inexpensive, safe toy then ok, I get it .We are talking about a flying, big (enough) item that can drop from the sky and seriously hurt someone. DJI should be fixing this issue so no one gets hurt, and consumers aren't losing out on $500-800...

wait till one of these batteries land on someone then i think it will be a recall

Reactions: Nope 2.0
I would suggest investing in a battery bucket this a very inexpensive they clip to the arms that lead to your motor run across the battery holding the battery firmly in place. I found the one I purchased on ebay but I have seen them on amazon as well

I have ordered one. Same evening as the incident.

This shouldn't have to be a thing... If it was a small, inexpensive, safe toy then ok, I get it .We are talking about a flying, big (enough) item that can drop from the sky and seriously hurt someone. DJI should be fixing this issue so no one gets hurt, and consumers aren't losing out on $500-800...

This exactly! I feel very lucky that it didn't hit someone or someone's property and cause any damage. Even more lucky that the only damage to the drone was needing propellers replaced.

There should not be any reason for them to pop off, once you've done the snap&Tug test. DJI would only consider it a design flaw, if they had received a great number of batteries coming loose.

I actually started doing the pull/tug test before flight each time. Only because of joining this site a few days after purchasing my spark and seeing others had this happen. I have yet to have one pull off and had 3+ hrs of flight time at the time of the incident without issue. I now don't feel it's reliable and other than close and low flights to check operation, I haven't flown and went until I receive the battery clip.

The eject spring is not needed - if i have a way to remove it without voiding the warranty i would, that would eliminate most of this issue

I would write to DJI and or call and ask if they will send you a battery
And also post on DJI page (FB) and that will get their attention on this frequent problem
With much skepticism, I contacted them and asked if I had any recourse. I was advised that even though the drone seems to be working that I need to send it in to be checked out and repaired if needed. They said to complete the ticket and call back to advise that the battery was lost. Supposedly no cost to me but turn around time is about 8 days plus shipping time both ways.

Anyone have any experience with this? It seems too good to be true and I'm debating just buying another battery. I fly a little bit at least every other day. Not sure what I'd do without the drone for 2-3 wks.

With much skepticism, I contacted them and asked if I had any recourse. I was advised that even though the drone seems to be working that I need to send it in to be checked out and repaired if needed. They said to complete the ticket and call back to advise that the battery was lost. Supposedly no cost to me but turn around time is about 8 days plus shipping time both ways.

Anyone have any experience with this? It seems too good to be true and I'm debating just buying another battery. I fly a little bit at least every other day. Not sure what I'd do without the drone for 2-3 wks.

Yes,, this happened to me, Battery fell out and the Drone crashed,, found the Drone but not the battery. I contacted DJi and they advised I send it in for analysis and repairs, which I did. When it was at DJi they advised some repairs (Motor and Gimble) and a battery replacement all under warranty. I received my Drone back after a week, and still happily flying today. Battery was an old type with the small latching clip!!

Wow !!! you got my attention with the pictures of old and new. I have 5 batteries and it looks like the 3 that I got at the same time as I got the drone are the old type and the 2 that I bought 5 months later are the new type. First of all I'll apologize in advance for my stupidity but I don't know how to contact DJI about this issue. Could someone help. Secondly would it make sense to contact them and give them the serial numbers to see if they would replace them?

I am on my way to my summer place in Canada and was looking forward to taking the whole set up there but would like to get this taken care of first.

As always thanks to all who contribute to this site.

Pete

Yes,, this happened to me, Battery fell out and the Drone crashed,, found the Drone but not the battery. I contacted DJi and they advised I send it in for analysis and repairs, which I did. When it was at DJi they advised some repairs (Motor and Gimble) and a battery replacement all under warranty. I received my Drone back after a week, and still happily flying today. Battery was an old type with the small latching clip!!

Did they replace the battery as well?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502