Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Another one bites the dust

It is not now, nor has it ever been, supported by DJI. It just happens to work, for some.

This. I don’t know why people don’t get it. NOWHERE in the manual is using an otg cable mentioned. Yet people still do it and are surprised when something doesn’t work.

@NyJosh I don't believe that there has ever been a last minute issue with OTG cables. It worked really well until recently and still works well on iOS. Within the Android world DJI has much more hardware specs to cope. With a large user base that you can expect from an entry level drone it would be too much hassle for them to respond to all the users who don't know how to use their phone correctly. I do understand that somehow. In addition from a market perspective they have to create good reasons for people to buy more expensive drones. OTG cable is one.

With that said I stick to older versions of DJI GO with working OTG cable. Most likely DJI won't put out any significant features for the Spark so I doubt I'll miss anything.

This. I don’t know why people don’t get it. NOWHERE in the manual is using an otg cable mentioned. Yet people still do it and are surprised when something doesn’t work.

No. It used to work. Without. a. flaw. I doubt you'll find any posts here that refer to OTG+correct (older) app version being the issue in disconnects or flyaways. In contrast users here reported a much better experience using the cable. You shouldn't be surprised with OTG on newer versions though. For me it didn't even work 2min without disconnects.

Reactions: zayyarl
I thought at some point otg was officially supported by the in house made crystal sky for spark, wich I believe is android based ??
Can anyone confirm??
Or correct me if I'm wrong??

I use OTG for the usual EU reasons and also because the lag on the video feed is far, far less. A drone with less laggy feed and a better range=more reliable drone.

I know it's not officially supported, but IMO DJI made two huge errors here: first of all, using the 5.8Ghz band which is poorly supported in an entire continent, and also illegal in some countries (such as Israel), and secondly not telling the users why they do not recommend using OTG. The lack of information is maddening.

@NyJosh I don't believe that there has ever been a last minute issue with OTG cables. It worked really well until recently and still works well on iOS. Within the Android world DJI has much more hardware specs to cope. With a large user base that you can expect from an entry level drone it would be too much hassle for them to respond to all the users who don't know how to use their phone correctly. I do understand that somehow. In addition from a market perspective they have to create good reasons for people to buy more expensive drones. OTG cable is one.

With that said I stick to older versions of DJI GO with working OTG cable. Most likely DJI won't put out any significant features for the Spark so I doubt I'll miss anything.

Obviously we can only guess, but companies don’t nerf their products that are otherwise fully capable without a reason. I think it’s entirely possible that DJI discovered that in some specific circumstances there are problems with OTG on Spark, which is why they never officially supported it.

Just reading threads here over the past month, I’ve seen several posts stating something bad or enexpected happened with OTG that didn’t happen on WiFi. If OTG was as bullet proof as it has to be for DJI to support it, those posts should be quite rare.

As for it working with the DJI FPV goggles for example, if they know what the situation that causes problems is then it’s easy for them to design the goggles to never trigger that condition.

At the end of the day, I have never seen an official statement from DJI that says OTG to phone is supported and if you have a problem that crashes your drone, you may be taking a risk that DJI rejects a warranty claim stating that you were using it in an unsupported way.

Reactions: Lastrexking
I use OTG for the usual EU reasons and also because the lag on the video feed is far, far less. A drone with less laggy feed and a better range=more reliable drone.

I know it's not officially supported, but IMO DJI made two huge errors here: first of all, using the 5.8Ghz band which is poorly supported in an entire continent, and also illegal in some countries (such as Israel), and secondly not telling the users why they do not recommend using OTG. The lack of information is maddening.

I fully understand your points, but if you understand it from a marketing standpoint, it’s kind of understandable.

DJI is marketing the Spark as a beginner / non-enthusiast drone for taking selfies, using gesture mode and appealing to people who may not want to drop a grand on their first drone.

These primary use cases are all generally close range. The Spark isn’t marketed to be used beyond visual range and many countries laws expressly forbid flying out of sight.

The 5.8ghz band is shorter range, but is also much less congested. So if you wanted to make a selfie drone that stays within 100 meters of the pilots, it’s a good choice.

As for the band being illegal in Israel, I’m sure DJI did the math and was ok losing whatever sales they would in small countries, when the market for them in larger countries is so big.

I think a lot of people watch YouTube videos of people flying the Spark 4km away and think they should be able to do that too.

If you look at DJI’s intended use for it, I performs quite well under the vast majority of situations even when it’s nerfed in CE mode.

From their perspective, if you want an ultra long range drone that isn’t nerfed by CE rules, etc. they provide that in the Mavic Pro and higher.

If you want a super capable entry level drone that can fly to the end of a football field and back (most people can barely see it that far away) then the Spark is the best option.

I know this is the devil’s advocate view, but if you put emotion aside and look at it from this perspective it becomes easier to understand why DJI operates as they do.

No. It used to work. Without. a. flaw. I doubt you'll find any posts here that refer to OTG+correct (older) app version being the issue in disconnects or flyaways. In contrast users here reported a much better experience using the cable. You shouldn't be surprised with OTG on newer versions though. For me it didn't even work 2min without disconnects.

Whether it used to work or not is irrelevant to my point. DJI have never offered OTG as an option for the Spark. It’s not in the manual, not in any promotional material, not in any official DJI guide. Never has been.

Yet, people seem suprised when they try it and something doesn’t work (telemetry), or something goes wrong.

I have a petrol engine car. The manual doesn’t tell me not to put diesel in it. Should I try it anyway? When my car doesn’t work as expected should I whine about it? No, of course not.

I thought at some point otg was officially supported by the in house made crystal sky for spark, wich I believe is android based ??
Can anyone confirm??
Or correct me if I'm wrong??
There was an OTG cable for the CS tablet which said "Spark", but that was premature on DJIs part as the feature still isn't supported. It created false hope.

Would Parrot be a good option?
Parrot makes some good products. I don't own one of their Bebop's but I do have 2 of their Disco flying wings and they are very reliable and a lot of fun to fly. I just bought a Spark and it was a real toss up for me as to weather to buy a Spark or a Bebop 2 Power. The only thing that made me buy a Spark was the image quality of the Spark. The Bebop has some really cool flight features that the Spark doesn't, like programmed missions and way point flights. From my experience the Bebop is simpler to fly with a very intuitive interface compared to the Spark. I just wish it had a better camera.

Just a thought, as this almost happened to me (luckily I spotted the potential problem before I flew) and has happened to at least one other person here:

Did you try to fly the Spark with the aircraft set as a Mavic Air? That's the default when the app upgrades.

Does using the WIFI open you up to WIFI interference say in an urban setting?
Short answer, yes. You can switch bands between 2.4 and 5.8 ghz. One may be less busy than the other.

How do you manual switch between bands? I have seen it switch automatic from 5.8 to 2.4, but didn't know you can manually switch .

Does using the WIFI open you up to WIFI interference say in an urban setting?

Technically yes, but keeping in mind it’s tbe connection between the remote and the phone that’s touching the remote, if think that interference would have to be really substantial (strictly referring to OTG comm between remote and phone vs. WiFi for the same).

DJi do not support OTG for the Spark Drone. OTG with Spark is very hit and miss. I use OTG with my iPad Air 2, IOS.. and have no issues at all. I do know it definitely does not work with Android. To use it with Android you need to revert to a previous Firmware, which makes no sense. The OTG cable only replaces the wi if link between mobile device and RC,, improving telemetry and video display.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis