Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Altitude Issues

Join
Jan 8, 2018
I posted this on the official DJI Spark forum as well, but haven't gotten a ton of traction. Apologies if you've already seen this there...

I've noticed that the altitude doesn't seem accurate beyond 20 feet or so, it reverts to ~3 feet no matter how high the RC is. I haven't had to let the AC RTH yet on it's own, but am worried that the issue with the altitude might make it just fly straight up. Today I also got an "Ultrasonic Sensor Error" and brought it back, before that I was flying just over some fairly tall trees and the altitude showed ~3ft. After the "Ultrasonic Sensor Error" the Altitude jumped from ~3 feet to ~50 feet and stays there until I bring it back to land (did so immediately after the error). When I look at the flight log it shows "IMU Altitude" ~50 feet. I think the AC must be at least 150 feet in the air, so none of this makes sense. I made sure the bottom was clean and have looked back at old logs and see that the first few flights had no problems. Any advice on ideas on how to get an accurate altitude?

I'm not using an OGT Cable, using Android, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Latest version of the app.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Edited to include:
I'm not using an OGT Cable, using Android, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Latest version of the app.

Last edited:
Are you using an OTG cable?

Sorry, I should have included that - edited original post to include. I'm not using an OGT Cable, using Android, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Latest version of the app.

Sorry, I should have included that - edited original post to include. I'm not using an OGT Cable, using Android, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Latest version of the app.
Looks like you have a problem. If it were me I would NOT be flying this device.

Home Point recorded. Return-to-Home Altitude:328FT

Reactions: Peter Powers
I've got the shipping label ready to send it in, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious. I've tried resetting the firmware, recalibrating IMU, cleaning sensors. It flies ok, it's stable, but I think in a RTH scenario it would just keep climbing.

Would 328FT be the height I'm at when I take off (i.e. my physical elevation above sea level)?

it might be that the ultrasonics got a sniff of the treetops and reported back that altitude but all other sensors were telling spark it was much higher. It may have basically been unable to reconcile the differences and consequently reported inaccurate information..

I've got the shipping label ready to send it in, just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious. I've tried resetting the firmware, recalibrating IMU, cleaning sensors. It flies ok, it's stable, but I think in a RTH scenario it would just keep climbing.

Would 328FT be the height I'm at when I take off (i.e. my physical elevation above sea level)?
Something is definitely wrong with the VPS

it might be that the ultrasonics got a sniff of the treetops and reported back that altitude but all other sensors were telling spark it was much higher. It may have basically been unable to reconcile the differences and consequently reported inaccurate information..
Nah...it was screwed up before he even got 2 feet off the ground

Yes, calibrated the IMU and tested it again. It went to 3ft and kept climbing... I landed it when it got to ~25 feet and it's been parked since...

Download the KML and look at it with Google Earth. Definitely, something weird going on.

I more "long shot" do you have a lens hood or landing gear on this Spark?

Download the KML and look at it with Google Earth. Definitely, something weird going on.
I loaded the KML file to google earth but not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Interesting that the Spark path seems to disappear into the trees. I can assure you it was above the treeline.

Attachments

• GE_KML.JPG
    GE_KML.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 65
I loaded the KML file to google earth but not exactly sure what I'm looking for. Interesting that the Spark path seems to disappear into the trees. I can assure you it was above the treeline.
Yeah, that's because the IMU reading was -40 feet...LOL

I would say you should try a short flight test, open field area with no obstructions and try RTH.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502