Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

5.8GHz vs 2.4GHz

VIRACO

Join
Jul 25, 2017
Hi can someone please explain this to me? Which is best used when? Hope you can help me with a simple answer to this.

From what understand

higher frequency = less range, but clearer video.

So 2.4GHz should offer more distance but weaker video signal.

And 5.8GHz should offer better video but less distance.

Please can someone clarify this? Thanks!

You are correct. The primary differences are range and bandwidth.

Range is pretty self explanatory. Bandwidth equates to video throughput. 2.4 will give you control at a farther distance, but less bandwidth, so high data usage like video will be diminshed.

Reactions: VIRACO
You are correct. The primary differences are range and bandwidth.

Range is pretty self explanatory. Bandwidth equates to video throughput. 2.4 will give you control at a farther distance, but less bandwidth, so high data usage like video will be diminshed.
Thanks for the answer!

So you are also controlling the drone at 5.8GHz or just the FPV or both? Sorry trying to understand the whole deal.

The drone is controlled by one frequency. I suspect that the link of tablet / RC could use another band but I didn't had time to test it before leaving for vacation.

Hey Viraco, good question. I am new to drones and Spark is my first one so I tried to see as much videos and forums as I could, especially about this issue and turned out that I usually found the same info as you. But then I decided to test it and today I had 4 test flights with my spark with amazing results that I would like to share with you guys.
The Flights were in China on a narrow and long park surrounded by hundreds of buildings (15-20 stories) and literally thousands of apartments with WiFis and all kind of possible interference. (Check the picture)
All Flights with iphone 6, BT off, fresh batteries, same altitude (70mts) and route and reseting all equipment before a new flight test.

1- 2.4GHz, Best channel selected (3), OTG cable disconected
Auto RTH at 220mts distance.
2- 2.4GHz, same best channel (3), OTG cable connected
Auto RTH at 200mts distance
3- 5.8GHz, Best channel selected (149), OTG cable disconected
Auto RTH at 1100mts distance
4- 5.8GHz, same best channel (149), OTG cable connected
Auto RTH at 1150mts distance

Regarding video quality in all cases the quality decreased according to the signal strength even with OTG cable connected, meaning I am screwing up connecting it or it really has no effect on range nor video quality.
My analysis suggests that the environment and surroundings is a key factor when selecting the correct frequency.
I am far away from any opened area to try the same tests on a environment without that much interference so if anybody here could do these tests then we could compare results.

Safe flights for all.

Attachments

• DJI_0021.JPG
    DJI_0021.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 26
I agree with you, all is matter of surrounding when in urban area.
The second aspect is in which region DJI put you, FCC or CE. In FCC mode a lot more power is allowed.
OTG help reducing lag on low-end phones if they have delay in their wifi. It is also one wifi connection susceptible to disturbance less.I have personally found more efficient to use Windsurfers reflectors on the antennas than using OTG cable.

Reactions: Kyle Dias
I agree with you, all is matter of surrounding when in urban area.
The second aspect is in which region DJI put you, FCC or CE. In FCC mode a lot more power is allowed.
OTG help reducing lag on low-end phones if they have delay in their wifi. It is also one wifi connection susceptible to disturbance less.I have personally found more efficient to use Windsurfers reflectors on the antennas than using OTG cable.
Have you noticed that if you are using 5.8GHz, conect your OTG cable and turn off your phone wifi, the DJI GO app will show on settings 2.4GHz freq with 5.8GHz channels ? Or that just a bug with my app ?

It is not a bug with you app, it is by design. It is made for the DJI goggles but somebody found that it also work with a phone and Go4 app.
But OTG connection come at a cost as Go4 app and the Goggles, even if they do almost the same are different.

Limitations:
  • Cannot change wifi band. In IOS, on android it don't seems correct (looks like PH3).
  • No signal level indication.
  • Loss of custom buttons setup (for ios devices only).
  • Not officially supported by dji, so it could be removed.
  • Some says that RC cannot be calibrated ? (not checked)
  • RTH maximum altitude is 50m (not checked)
  • Shows the Joystick/GUI button at bottom left (not checked)

Advantages:
  • You can still use internet and get live map (but android has off-line map).
  • Reduced lag as only one wifi connection is used (probably not that big improvement on high-end device).
  • Less risk of interference as in total only one wifi band is used and it is selected by the Spark.
  • Full control of band and channel (as RC wifi channel cannot be selected)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast