Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

120 meters..Just enough.

Very cool video! So what are your stats? How high did you go to get above the fog? Looks like when you go thru the clouds in an airplane.

Reactions: Spark^
Very cool video! So what are your stats? How high did you go to get above the fog? Looks like when you go thru the clouds in an airplane.
Thank you. Ya I was pretty excited when I broke through the top. I was at 120 meters or about 400 feet. I saw it getting closer and closer to max alt and wasn't sure if I'd get through.

Reactions: SoccerRef12
That was neat.

Use caution when flying in the fog as it may affect the bottom sensors that could make the flight sketchy.

Unless you're using Litchi, which has the option to turn them off.

Thanks for sharing a peek above the clouds.?

Reactions: hiflyer and Spark^
That was neat.

Use caution when flying in the fog as it may affect the bottom sensors that could make the flight sketchy.

Unless you're using Litchi, which has the option to turn them off.

Thanks for sharing a peek above the clouds.?
Thank you Spark317. I noticed when I was coming down at about 30 meters it started dropping like a rock. I was full up on the stick at the end. Stopped just in time. Cheers

Breaking out on top of a low status layer is mind blowing because in an instant you rise from a gloomy damp atmosphere to brilliant sunshine that is also reflecting off the tops of the clouds...but it's iffy. If it's a true fog bank the tops are going to be pretty low..sometimes less than 200 feet but then you're not going to be able to see the drone when it returns..if it does return, and if it's just low coastal type stratus the tops are going to be at least 1200 ft. In fact the bases of the clouds are probably going to be above legal altitude for drone flight. Way too risky for me but I've seen some pretty neat video's.

I was waiting for the descent but I guess you didn’t want to risk it. At what height did you enter the fog on the way up?

Breaking out on top of a low status layer is mind blowing because in an instant you rise from a gloomy damp atmosphere to brilliant sunshine that is also reflecting off the tops of the clouds...but it's iffy. If it's a true fog bank the tops are going to be pretty low..sometimes less than 200 feet but then you're not going to be able to see the drone when it returns..if it does return, and if it's just low coastal type stratus the tops are going to be at least 1200 ft. In fact the bases of the clouds are probably going to be above legal altitude for drone flight. Way too risky for me but I've seen some pretty neat video's.
Thanks hillyer. Ya it was pretty awsome to watch it pop through the top and see the sun. I was at 400 feet and just skimming the top. Like you say so gloomy below..cheers

I was waiting for the descent but I guess you didn’t want to risk it. At what height did you enter the fog on the way up?
Ya there wasn't much to see on the way down. I had about 20-25 meters before it disappeared. Great when you break through the top though. Thanks twickers 14

I’ve never dared to pop mine up above fog as I worry about it getting confused as it meets the top of the fog on the way down. When you say it fell quite quickly going down did you feel you had control over it?

I’ve never dared to pop mine up above fog as I worry about it getting confused as it meets the top of the fog on the way down. When you say it fell quite quickly going down did you feel you had control over it?
Well for a short moment the answer is no. Just after I could see it on the decent it started to just drop. It didnt wonder off path but just accelerated its decent to the point that I didnt think it was stopping. Full stick up and about a foot to spare.

• Wow
Reactions: Spark 317
I'm going to check the flight log to determine the speed of decent at that point.

Well.. when the spark had landed it showed -8meters and was in the same spot as launch which showed 0 meters. I couldn't see a significant increase in speed though on the flight record. I watched the decent on video this morning and you can really see it there. Strange but true..I will post the decent a little later.

Wow what a mystery. Fair to think the craft might be confused by the lack of definition within the fog and with not a lot of height to spare as she came through the base of the fog you did very well to get her under control. Will,await the descent.

Wow what a mystery. Fair to think the craft might be confused by the lack of definition within the fog and with not a lot of height to spare as she came through the base of the fog you did very well to get her under control. Will,await the descent.
So here is the last bit of the decent. My thumbs up at the end was for its survival. ?

• Wow
Reactions: Spark 317
Very interesting. Perhaps there was some moisture on the sensors which dissipated a little as she came out of the fog. Main thing is, you still have an operational Spark. Thanks for all your trouble to explain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf