Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark combi wifi to controller issues. *** S O L V E D ***

Join
Jul 22, 2018
Just bought a spark yesterday. Managed with some difficulty to upgrade all firmwares of bird and controller.
I can easily connect with OTG cable. I will also manage to connect to the rc controller using wifi and my android Oneplus 5T. However when I turn on the drone, the controller disconnects from the phone wifi as soon as the pairing green button on the controller lights up and i am kicked out of the djigo4 app. I would like to use it with wifi to controller since the otg cable that comes out of the side interferes with the controller sticks in my hand. Am I doing something wrong?

Welcome
When directly connected to the Spark, it is the Sparkxxx wifi that is used.
When you pair the Spark with the RC (remote controller) that wifi is no more visible yo your phone and used by the RC to connect to the Spark.
In place the RC is creating a SparkRCxxxx wifi network. You should connect to that one.

Welcome
When directly connected to the Spark, it is the Sparkxxx wifi that is used.
When you pair the Spark with the RC (remote controller) that wifi is no more visible yo your phone and used by the RC to connect to the Spark.
In place the RC is creating a SparkRCxxxx wifi network. You should connect to that one.
Many thanks! That's what i was expecting but still the djigo4 apo disconnects.

Is the wifi of your phone connected to the SparkRCxxxx wifi SSID of the RC?
By the way, are you using Android/IOS and what device?

Is the wifi of your phone connected to the SparkRCxxxx wifi SSID of the RC?
By the way, are you using Android/IOS and what device?
Yes I am connecting to the SparkRCxxxx wifi on the controller and will only have access provided the drone is switched off. As soon as the drone pairs with the controller, my wifi connection with the controller disconnects. Yes as stated, I was using Android on a oneplus 5T.

Sorry, missed the statement about android :oops:

Maybe your phone cannot see the 5.8G channels that the Spark/RC use. Had this case with a Samsung S6 that cannot handle these channels. Had to bought a S8 to have it working.
If you use an OTG cable, you will bypass that issue. IOS device are normally immune to that issue. If you can borrow an iphone to test could be a way to troubleshoot.

Alternative is to use the Spark to RC connection at 5.8G and then RC to phone at 2.4G but then it means less range and some manipulation with first OTG to switch channel. Not really an option.
Spark and RC use channels 149 to 165 on 5.8G band.
With a Samsung Tab S2, I can reproduce you issue, using app Wifi Analyzer to see the channel, as soon the RC work on 5.8G, I cannot see the RC SSID on the Tab S2 but on S7 I can.

If too technical, let me know to simplify the explanation, but in general your basic options are:
  1. Use OTG cable, sorry, what you want to avoid but maybe another cable with different connectors can help.
  2. Use a new phone/tablet that can use wifi channels 149 to 165 in 5.8G band.
  3. Use the Spark only at 5.8G with manual channel mode but you will have range limitation and possible loss of connection in flight if it cannot switch to another channel automatically. Would be ok if you fly in remote area and not too fare.

Reactions: Jeremy Lanfranco
Many thanks! What you are saying makes sense! I'll go through the settings and somehow will manage since the 5.8g seems to be the issue.

Many thanks! What you are saying makes sense! I'll go through the settings and somehow will manage since the 5.8g seems to be the issue.
That's a possibility, a failure is also possible, hope not.

****** S O L V E D ********** Finally!
1 First make sure aircraft is off - Remote off - App off
2 Turn on radio controller
3. Long press the RC power button for 9 secs to reset. a beep confirmation will be heard.
4. Go on phone Wi-Fi and select radio controller and put in default password 12341234 ( make sure mobile data is off and no Bluetooth or GPS on )
5. Go on dji app and it will say rc connected
6. Click on enter aircraft at bottom right and click on connect combo (phone and rc and spark)
7. Switch on Aircraft and once on press aircraft power button for 3 secs - it will say link aircraft on the app and it then connects.

You will see the video of the aircraft come on screen and you're ready to fly. I have tried this 3 times but after the controller reset above, you do not have to repeat step 3 and 4 and 6.. it will connect every time flawlessly. I tried it with 3 different android mobiles and an iphone. It was not working on all of them. Seems the the combo link was corrupted. Happy that this is all over.

****** S O L V E D ********** Finally!
1 First make sure aircraft is off - Remote off - App off
2 Turn on radio controller
3. Long press the RC power button for 9 secs to reset. a beep confirmation will be heard.
4. Go on phone Wi-Fi and select radio controller and put in default password 12341234 ( make sure mobile data is off and no Bluetooth or GPS on )
5. Go on dji app and it will say rc connected
6. Click on enter aircraft at bottom right and click on connect combo (phone and rc and spark)
7. Switch on Aircraft and once on press aircraft power button for 3 secs - it will say link aircraft on the app and it then connects.

You will see the video of the aircraft come on screen and you're ready to fly. I have tried this 3 times but after the controller reset above, you do not have to repeat step 3 and 4 and 6.. it will connect every time flawlessly. I tried it with 3 different android mobiles and an iphone. It was not working on all of them. Seems the the combo link was corrupted. Happy that this is all over.
Happy for you that you found a solution that allows you to fly, finally.

You do realize that you shouldn't have to do that every time you fly, right?

I simply launch the app, turn on my remote and let it sync up then turn on my Spark, wait for it to get GPS lock and fly.

David

You do realize that you shouldn't have to do that every time you fly, right?

I simply launch the app, turn on my remote and let it sync up then turn on my Spark, wait for it to get GPS lock and fly.

David
Yes I mentioned that I only did the procedure once... now it works flawlessly :)

So I just tried doing this, because i have been having to connect to wi fi every time. I followed the direction above to a tee, but it didn't help. I have never once been prompted for a password on the wi fi for the RC. (nor was i when setting up the drone either)

The only thing different this flight, was I became disconnected wayyyyy up in the sky, twice...and I was getting a warning about restricted airspace and my distance was being limited, which I have never gotten before in 10+ flights in the same spot...my back yard.

I may need clean underwear now:eek: Whoever it was that said you'll be nearly crapping your pants 1 out of 4 flights was spot on!! I think this was my first disconnect, although I did have the app close before in flight.

I do have an OTG cable coming...from Hong Kong

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast