Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Part 107 Benefits

John.H

Join
Dec 10, 2017
Loc
Flower Mound, Tx
I'm thinking of getting my license this year. Don't know where to start, but what are the benefits of flying my drone with a Part 107 license? What is the best method of getting the license?

Thanks,
John

I'm thinking of getting my license this year. Don't know where to start, but what are the benefits of flying my drone with a Part 107 license? What is the best method of getting the license?

Thanks,
John

Unless you are in business, a Part 107 license isn't necessary. But, if you just wanted to get it for giggles, I can tell you that I used Gleim Aviation's course and it was great. I also used Dauntless test prep.

Start here. Fly under the Small UAS Rule And here. Becoming a Pilot

Then here are some additional free resources.
Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - Course Overview - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov
Ultimate Guide to FAA's Part 107 (14 CFR Part 107) -
https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/

The benefits are that you will be able to operate your drone for commercial purposes if you choose, you will have the abililty to obtain airspace waivers and authorizations from the FAA, you will not have to contact every airport if you are flying within 5 miles of the airport (note that the converse of this is that you will need to follow the appropriate controlled airspace per the sectional charts), and you will learn more about operating safely in the National Air Space.

I've decided to get my Part 107 for 1) Not having to call airports every time I'm within five miles of one.
2) Just to learn more about the airspace I'm flying in.
3) It makes me feel super cool to look at a sectional chart and know what all those letters and numbers mean.

I have no desire to fly for monetary gain, but if the situation presented itself I'd be able to do it legally.

Reactions: Spark 317
I've decided to get my Part 107 for 1) Not having to call airports every time I'm within five miles of one.
2) Just to learn more about the airspace I'm flying in.
3) It makes me feel super cool to look at a sectional chart and know what all those letters and numbers mean.

I have no desire to fly for monetary gain, but if the situation presented itself I'd be able to do it legally.
Just a note that for Class B, you still will have to not only notify the tower but get authorization to fly there.
And for Class C, Class D, and Class E Surface Extensions, you will have to have a waiver or an authorization from the FAA to fly there.
But for other (smaller) airports with no controlled airspace (Class E and Class G), you will not have to notify the tower for Part 107 flights.

Reactions: abrinser
Just a note that for Class B, you still will have to not only notify the tower but get authorization to fly there.
And for Class C, Class D, and Class E Surface Extensions, you will have to have a waiver or an authorization from the FAA to fly there.
But for other (smaller) airports with no controlled airspace (Class E and Class G), you will not have to notify the tower for Part 107 flights.
Right. I didn't mean to imply that you can fly with complete disregard to airports with a 107. In my general flying area it would eliminate the phone calls for me.

Right. I didn't mean to imply that you can fly with complete disregard to airports with a 107. In my general flying area it would eliminate the phone calls for me.
Yep. Just wanted to make sure anyone following along understood that in controlled airspace, there are different rules.

But I agree, not having to contact all those little airports is a positive for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef