Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Max motor speed reached

Rocky

Join
Jun 27, 2018
hey guys. New to real quads here. Only had the cheaper versions before, you know, the ones you actually have to fly.

Anyway, i have a spark that i bought used that was with a broken arm repaired with epoxy and a finishing nail...... not my doing...... the epoxy finally started to give way. So i ordered the spark
Body and tackled the grouling task of removing literally everything and transferring it over to the new body. Soldering is not my strong point. But i got it all done.

Everything seems to work properly. But today i was testing everything thoroughly with some aggressive sport mode flying. Full speed ahead and climbing altitude with full stick i got a warning saying “max motor speed reached” and the spark spun to the left very fast, then went back straight again. I was able to duplicate this happening a few times but it wouldn’t happen every time.

Any suggestions from the pros here? As i was saying before, soldering isn’t my strong point, i was thinking maybe i didn’t get a great connection somewhere? Or maybe i have a motor going out? (I have one motor that the shaft was pushed through into the arm base and i had to push it back to where it’s supposed to be as it was binding on the frame.) any suggestions would be very helpful.

Also i should have just bought a new spark so i could get the dji refresh, but the price was right and i couldn’t pass it up. When i get my next dji, the Mavic Pro, it will be new. But waiting on the Mavic Pro 2 to be announced on the 18th

Sport mode push the Spark to its limits. Was there some wind during your test?
From your description, there is a possibility that one of the motor is less efficient than the others and when you push the Spark at its limit it can not deliver the expected thrust and so the flight controller lost for a while the control of the flight creating these erratic movements.
On the long term it don't sounds too good and you can try to replace the motor you "repaired".
If it flies well in normal mode then you should be ok especially as you expect a Mavic 2 announcement in July, hope you will not be disappointed by the announcement. Also price will be high and be ready for many firmware updates ;)

Sport mode push the Spark to its limits. Was there some wind during your test?
From your description, there is a possibility that one of the motor is less efficient than the others and when you push the Spark at its limit it can not deliver the expected thrust and so the flight controller lost for a while the control of the flight creating these erratic movements.
On the long term it don't sounds too good and you can try to replace the motor you "repaired".
If it flies well in normal mode then you should be ok especially as you expect a Mavic 2 announcement in July, hope you will not be disappointed by the announcement. Also price will be high and be ready for many firmware updates ;)
Yea i hope they announce the MP2 so the price on the Mavic Pro 1 goes down. And everything is good on regular flight mode. There was roughly 10mph head wind when it happened. Guess i have to wait for it to fall out of the sky since i can’t remember which motor it was that was damaged since i replaced the frame haha.

I hope it’s not one of the esc though. Like i said I’m not great at soldering and i think i got them pretty hot. Oh well... i tried. Haha

Yea i hope they announce the MP2 so the price on the Mavic Pro 1 goes down. And everything is good on regular flight mode. There was roughly 10mph head wind when it happened. Guess i have to wait for it to fall out of the sky since i can’t remember which motor it was that was damaged since i replaced the frame haha.

I hope it’s not one of the esc though. Like i said I’m not great at soldering and i think i got them pretty hot. Oh well... i tried. Haha
I don't think your solder skill can make that kind of problem, would be more a GO/NoGO situation. You can also check if a motor temperature is significantly higher than the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky
i'd replace the motor on the arm that was damaged.. just make sure you buy an oem motor there are some 3rd party ones online not sure if i'd trust them...

Reactions: Rocky
I would check the props as well. If 1 is slightly damaged the flight control unit would be compensating for the lack of thrust generated by that prop by increasing power to the motor. When all motors are pushed to the limit, compensating becomes impossible.
Worth an extra look, as it could be a quick & inexpensive fix.
It could be the motor as suggested.

Reactions: Rocky and Dronason

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef