Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How do YOU hand launch?

Davezilla

Join
Dec 25, 2017
Just a little survey - many people here talk about preferring to hand launch their Spark.
Do you that using the gesture mode and then switching out of that or do you do it somehow using the controller while also holding the Spark in your hand?

I have the FN button on my controller set for take off/land.
I hold my Spark out in my extended hand, camera facing away and press the button with my other.
Great for sandy, wet or rough places

Controller, auto launch (swipe right) and hand for me.

Gesture and tapping the battery never worked for me.

I have a lanyard supporting the remote so it's easier to do.

I've tried the Fn button but read a couple of post's of accidentally launching due to fumbling with the remote, either by the pilot or a curious child.

I use the trigger button on the remote. Set it to auto launch and land. I grab along the side with my finger tips to hold the drone. Keeps it off the ground and clean.

The first time I tried a palm launch was the only time the drone crashed, but my fault, I tossed it upward. I learned to fly a drone with the tello and most of the time I launched it with a throw and go. So when the Spark motors started up I tossed it upwards like with the Tello and it flipped over and went down.
Next time I just let it take off.
That’s the only time I’ve used palm launch or gesture control.

I just swipe to take off but, thanks to the idea in this thread, I'll set my Fn button to do that with one push. Very easy to hand launch and hand land with the Spark. I do it, too, with the Mavic in bad landing areas.

Double tapping the battery works for me unless the sun is behind me blinding the spark! Then sport mode on and off to get out of gesture mode.

Be careful with that FN button.
Sometimes I have pressed it by accident.

As already said, double click power button, works always for me.

I do the gesture mode double-tap, and then take it out of gesture mode.

Something I noticed: if you do the gesture mode way, it recognizes the drone starts at 1.5m height (or however high your arm is off the ground). If you launch using an assigned take-off button, then hand-height is logged as "zero" altitude. Not a huge issue usually, but if you want to use any quick shots, those won't work unless you are minimum 2m off the ground, meaning that the "real" minimum becomes hand + 2m. Can make dronies look high and awkward to start, for example.

I do the gesture mode double-tap, and then take it out of gesture mode.

Something I noticed: if you do the gesture mode way, it recognizes the drone starts at 1.5m height (or however high your arm is off the ground). If you launch using an assigned take-off button, then hand-height is logged as "zero" altitude. Not a huge issue usually, but if you want to use any quick shots, those won't work unless you are minimum 2m off the ground, meaning that the "real" minimum becomes hand + 2m. Can make dronies look high and awkward to start, for example.
Good point.

Reactions: Davezilla

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar