Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Finally got the guts

When flying longer distances, where do you guys normally set your RTH point? what battery % is average?

I set home point from my take off point. Battery percentage fluctuates. The day i went farthest (6143 ft/ 1.16 miles) when i got back to my home point i still had 38% battery. But that day the wind was light so i didnt have to struggle against it.

Hi Skynet, thanks for the reply. I was more after setting the point where the battery percentage forces a RTH. I think somewhere in settings we can set, for example 30% triggers RTH. I hope that makes sense.

I've never had my Spark up/out that far, I bought it mostly for close in kind of stuff (Also "for the hell of it") and really only let my Mavic Pro out to play that far.

I usually have too much interference where I am to feel comfortable with the Spark far out

Reactions: JoostGT3
I've never had my Spark up/out that far, I bought it mostly for close in kind of stuff (Also "for the hell of it") and really only let my Mavic Pro out to play that far.

I usually have too much interference where I am to feel comfortable with the Spark far out
Aran, do youfeel the Spark is a valuable addition if you also have a Mavic Pro? I have the latter, but have been eyeing Spark classifieds just for the fun of it... I like the package, but note sure whether I would be satisfied with it at all...

Reactions: ELD.visuals
Aran, do youfeel the Spark is a valuable addition if you also have a Mavic Pro? I have the latter, but have been eyeing Spark classifieds just for the fun of it... I like the package, but note sure whether I would be satisfied with it at all...
Honestly if you already have the MP there's no real NEED for the Spark, since the MP technically travels smaller, has better battery life, etc. I find myself flying the MP more than the Spark, I like the RF vs wifi connection better, etc.

I just have a small tech addiction with a Gotta-Have-'Em-All bonus. I don't feel I've wasted my money having both, but I don't think the Spark was a necessary buy. It's nice to have a cheaper drone on hand at least.

Reactions: JoostGT3
Honestly if you already have the MP there's no real NEED for the Spark, since the MP technically travels smaller, has better battery life, etc. I find myself flying the MP more than the Spark, I like the RF vs wifi connection better, etc.

I just have a small tech addiction with a Gotta-Have-'Em-All bonus. I don't feel I've wasted my money having both, but I don't think the Spark was a necessary buy. It's nice to have a cheaper drone on hand at least.
Thanks mate!
Yeah the only rationale I can find for the Spark (in addition to the MavPro, not trying to bash the Spark, as it is an awesome thing!) is for those 2 or so times a year that I go sailing with friends... then it is nice to have something cheaper on the side where range doesn't really matter...

When flying longer distances, where do you guys normally set your RTH point? what battery % is average?

30%, which is the default warning level, is the best and safest setting.

Last edited:
That's as far as I wanted to go, before turning "chicken"! LOL! It still had good signal/video at that range. I think the battery is the limiting factor with the Spark. I did have these on the controller, though. Anything I can do to have a better link between the drone, and controller is a plus! With all the WiFi in use,I think they help.Antenna Signal Amplifier Booster Range Extender For DJI SPARK & MAVIC 2017 QY | eBay

Honestly I have yet to find any empty land like that here. I'd love to try it out.

Honestly I have yet to find any empty land like that here. I'd love to try it out.
We have a Prairie East of town that is 10 miles across! It's flat, low and mostly uninhabited. The area I was flying in is also lower than the area we fly from. About the only real danger is loosing your drone.

We have a Prairie East of town that is 10 miles across! It's flat, low and mostly uninhabited. The area I was flying in is also lower than the area we fly from. About the only real danger is loosing your drone.

Oh ok, atleast the drone has a kinda of "find my iphone" button lol.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
This is the farthest ive taken it now, lost sight, so I started following my path back, heard it coming, but still couldn't see it, lowered to 80 feet still nothing, so I hit RTH, I had over shot my landing by 90ish feet, so back it came and landed right where I took off from
Screenshot_20180331-174433.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Hddeuce03

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar