Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA Protocols and Enforcement

This might have been posted already, but for my 'merican cousins, thought I would share.... FAA enacts new enforcment actions against drone pilots

Fly safe!

Yikes.

I read the article in your link and despite the length there was no specific information on what is actually changing (if anything).

So I went to the FAA Notice it referenced and that says even less. Mostly bureaucratic doublespeak.

Between the media and the government we are sent running in circles.

We you able to extract any useful information from that article? Or was it just something you passed along?

I don't think there is a lot of hard information for us in that notice. It's just stating that if there are increased "incidents" etc they will have increased presence/investigations.

Reactions: Andre Levite
I don't think there is a lot of hard information for us in that notice. It's just stating that if there are increased "incidents" etc they will have increased presence/investigations.

That's all I got out of that Notice as well...

I think it was just a slow news day so it got a headline.

I'm not seeing the FAA suddenly devote a lot of manpower or funds to this "effort". They are more reactionary. Too bad -- there's a lot of work to do.

Reactions: BigAl07
The one thing I picked up from it is that it enlists local authorities to be the right arm of the FAA.
My local police can check me out and see if I am compliant.
But will they know the rules?
When I lost my drone, the officer returning it asked how is the FAA reg number used in recovery?
Seriously?
I reported it missing with the FAA reg number so that is how I got it back.
Will they have a preconceived attitude on drones and be *****?

Don't get me wrong, in cases of emergency firefighting, a firefighter should be able to relay illegal activity to authorities so their operation is not hampered.
And so on for other such cases.
But abuse of authority remain my concern.

Others have seen it here - airport manager/ tower operator denying flights...etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: ZPARK
The one thing I picked up from it is that it enlists local authorities to be the right arm of the FAA.
My local police can check me out and see if I am compliant.
But will they know the rules?
When I lost my drone, the officer returning it asked how is the FAA reg number used in recovery?
Seriously?
I reported it missing with the FAA reg number so that is how I got it back.
Will they have a preconceived attitude on drones and be [Language Removed by Moderator]?

Don't get me wrong, in cases of emergency firefighting, a firefighter should be able to relay illegal activity to authorities so their operation is not hampered.
And so on for other such cases.
But abuse of authority remain my concern.

Others have seen it here - airport manager/ tower operator denying flights...etc...

The FAA is definitely behind the curve on this new technology. They are still trying to catch up with 2012 let alone 2019. Because of this they are also behind on giving accurate and reliable guidance to LEA across the nation but they are GREATLY improving on that front quickly. In my dealings with LEA the only ones that aren't somewhat up to date are the ones that refuse to get involved. The vast majority of LEA now have at least a fundamental idea of what to look for and ask for.

In fact the FAA have created some LEA specific contact points to make it easier for the whole process. This goes for ENFORCEMENT as well as possible sUAS returning. It's going to get better for the most part. It's already a LOT better than it was just a couple of years ago.

The FAA is definitely behind the curve on this new technology. They are still trying to catch up with 2012 let alone 2019. Because of this they are also behind on giving accurate and reliable guidance to LEA across the nation but they are GREATLY improving on that front quickly. In my dealings with LEA the only ones that aren't somewhat up to date are the ones that refuse to get involved. The vast majority of LEA now have at least a fundamental idea of what to look for and ask for.

In fact the FAA have created some LEA specific contact points to make it easier for the whole process. This goes for ENFORCEMENT as well as possible sUAS returning. It's going to get better for the most part. It's already a LOT better than it was just a couple of years ago.

I wholeheartedly agree.

But we've both read those FAA Notices and updates to the Regulations. Never clear - often conflicting and ambiguous. Hard for hobbyists to interpret with confidence, hard for police to properly enforce and may not stand up in court as a result.

They need to get better at communicating their message so we can just follow the rules. As our fearless leader can we volunteer YOU to streamline the process? Ha!

Reactions: BigAl07
I wholeheartedly agree.

But we've both read those FAA Notices and updates to the Regulations. Never clear - often conflicting and ambiguous. Hard for hobbyists to interpret with confidence, hard for police to properly enforce and may not stand up in court as a result.

They need to get better at communicating their message so we can just follow the rules. As our fearless leader can we volunteer YOU to streamline the process? Ha!

Well... actually I am involved in this more than you realize. Not on the FAA side but working as a go between with several LEA and the FAA helping to TRY and get everyone on the same page. I've worked with several LEA across the southeast and I'm working hard every day to try and make new contacts to help spread the word. I "Teach" this to LEA so that helps me get in front of the right people from the get-go.

Also at the same time the FAA is creating new releases, notices, and most importantly Webinars that help get the message out. Fortunately most of their recent "LEA" communications are a lot more clearly written and not just regurgitating what the NPRM states. Someone is actually taking the time to re-write these in non Legalese and it's working.

If someone has a contact for their local LEA and would like me to reach out to them I'm more than happy to try and do that as well.

Reactions: MVGsparked
Well... actually I am involved in this more than you realize. Not on the FAA side but working as a go between with several LEA and the FAA helping to TRY and get everyone on the same page. I've worked with several LEA across the southeast and I'm working hard every day to try and make new contacts to help spread the word. I "Teach" this to LEA so that helps me get in front of the right people from the get-go.

Also at the same time the FAA is creating new releases, notices, and most importantly Webinars that help get the message out. Fortunately most of their recent "LEA" communications are a lot more clearly written and not just regurgitating what the NPRM states. Someone is actually taking the time to re-write these in non Legalese and it's working.

If someone has a contact for their local LEA and would like me to reach out to them I'm more than happy to try and do that as well.

That's extremely impressive and spectacularly awesome!

Much respect.

Will you be attending the joint FAA and UAS meeting this June?

That's extremely impressive and spectacularly awesome!

Much respect.

Will you be attending the joint FAA and UAS meeting this June?

Thank you. I've been lucky to be in the right places to be able to advance in this through the years.

Unfortunately June is a crazy busy time and I'll actually be teaching here in NC that whole week.

I do have someone who will be my eyes and ears there but from the FAA side.

I wish someone would start to enforce rules. I got my part 107 cert and can’t get work because everyone does commercial work without it. No one checks .. they should let us fly in parks so that park rangers could check to see if we are registered. Who else has time to check.

Reactions: MVGsparked
Were you able to extract any useful information from that article? Or was it just something you passed along?
Blissfully Canadian, does not apply to me, but I care about y'all down there!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef