Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Can anyone comment on the usefulness of a camera sun shade?

GearHead83

Join
Mar 8, 2018
I just bought a prop guard on Amazon that also comes with a sun shade for the Spark camera. Unfortunately the only color option was a bright red but I will rectify that with a bit of spray paint. Just wondering if anyone has actually found the sun shade to be useful, does it produce a better image on sunny days? Any thoughts on this item are welcome, thanks!

I just bought a prop guard on Amazon that also comes with a sun shade for the Spark camera. Unfortunately the only color option was a bright red but I will rectify that with a bit of spray paint. Just wondering if anyone has actually found the sun shade to be useful, does it produce a better image on sunny days? Any thoughts on this item are welcome, thanks!
I purchased something similar and tried out the sun shade a couple times. I noticed in sport mode flying forward you cash see the sun shade on the top of your screen. I guess the increased angle of the spark in sport mode causes this but I don't know for sure.

Reactions: MannyCAM2001
I purchased something similar and tried out the sun shade a couple times. I noticed in sport mode flying forward you cash see the sun shade on the top of your screen. I guess the increased angle of the spark in sport mode causes this but I don't know for sure.
I very rarely use sport mode no not too concerned with that. Also not surprised it obstructs the shot in sport mode considering sport mode is not really made for shooting. I am interested to hear if anyone has noticed a difference in their footage while using it for videos, photography.

There was an instance on the DJI forum where a warranty claim was turned down because of a sun shade.
Remember that your air intake for cooling is behind the gimble.

There was an instance on the DJI forum where a warranty claim was turned down because of a sun shade.
Remember that your air intake for cooling is behind the gimble.

Came here to say this. If I remember correctly they said it interfered with the sensors.

Be very careful what you put in your Sparks. DJI will deny your claim in the event of a fly off if there’s a slight chance the accessory interferes with its operation.

Came here to say this. If I remember correctly they said it interfered with the sensors.

Be very careful what you put in your Sparks. DJI will deny your claim in the event of a fly off if there’s a slight chance the accessory interferes with its operation.
Can that be determined via the logs?

But to answer your question about video, it’s no different than using one on an SLR. The principles stay the same.
It does certainly help with sun-flaring and sunglare.
The one I use also gives moderate protection to the gimbal camera array. Wind against the gimbal is reduced slightly from a side angle, which in my humble opinion should produce less stress on the gimbal mechanism. Hypothetically speaking of course.
And yes, in sportmode, you will see the top of the sunshade briefly, when gaining speed. But I agree, if you are in sportmode, you wouldn’t be using it to film, unless in a straight line and then it would be ok. It’s only when you move foward quickly from a stationary position that you see it.

I personally have never had a problem using it. Or the blocking of the foward sensors. The LOUD warning beep still rattles my brain, no matter how enthralled I am in my flying. Lol.

As far as warranty goes. Personally don’t care, my flying and enjoyment comes first. If there is a warranty conflict?
Which with this particular item I doubt, and I’m referring to mine, the one I own. If push comes to shove, I’ll buy a new Spark. ⚡

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar