Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

1080p 30fps - Editing and Capturing Slow Motion Question?

nutsnbolts

Join
Nov 25, 2017
So I never really put much thought to this till I started watching tons of videos about 24, 30, 60, 120, 240, etc. frames per second and as we all know, the Spark is 1080p at 30fps.

Now...

I question how well I'm editing my videos and I am noticing that I think I have been inconsistent with how I import on a project timeline. I'm assuming that it's being imported at 30fps timeline in which case, in reality, true slow motion is something that you can't really do with the Spark. In other words, since it's 30fps option only, you can't do 60fps and cut it in half for the buttery smooth, cinematic look.

Do people find this a limitation? Maybe that's a stupid question because yes it's probably a limitation but my point is, how are you achieving smooth slow motion that follow the proper timeline?

I know if you have a mavic or any other drone where you have other options (4k, 1080p, 24, 30, 60, etc.) do people really say, I want this capture to be in slow motion so I'm going to change the setting to capture at 60fps and then when you're done, you switch back to 24p to capture other things and then back and forth back and forth?

Is that what people really doing?

Sorry I don't know how else to explain it but now it seems like launching my drone in the air and hitting record is not as simple as I thought it was. OF course, if you are trying to achieve cinematic style post processing. I don't want to complicate this as I'm literally starting out in general.

Any one can share their thoughts about this?

So I never really put much thought to this till I started watching tons of videos about 24, 30, 60, 120, 240, etc. frames per second and as we all know, the Spark is 1080p at 30fps.

Now...

I question how well I'm editing my videos and I am noticing that I think I have been inconsistent with how I import on a project timeline. I'm assuming that it's being imported at 30fps timeline in which case, in reality, true slow motion is something that you can't really do with the Spark. In other words, since it's 30fps option only, you can't do 60fps and cut it in half for the buttery smooth, cinematic look.

Do people find this a limitation? Maybe that's a stupid question because yes it's probably a limitation but my point is, how are you achieving smooth slow motion that follow the proper timeline?

I know if you have a mavic or any other drone where you have other options (4k, 1080p, 24, 30, 60, etc.) do people really say, I want this capture to be in slow motion so I'm going to change the setting to capture at 60fps and then when you're done, you switch back to 24p to capture other things and then back and forth back and forth?

Is that what people really doing?

Sorry I don't know how else to explain it but now it seems like launching my drone in the air and hitting record is not as simple as I thought it was. OF course, if you are trying to achieve cinematic style post processing. I don't want to complicate this as I'm literally starting out in general.

Any one can share their thoughts about this?
To get the best possible slow-motion effect., you must be able to change the framerate from the get-go. 120fps has been the standard for achieving this in, home/ commercial, digital video. So we do have that limitation with our beloved Spark ⚡
60fps is acceptable given the proper scenario. In most cases bright sunny conditions.
But trying to do any of this in post will result in mediocre results. Unless originally shot in the higher framerates. 120 fps.preferably.

Edit 24p, conform the 30p to that. Now you’re playing back at 80% original speed. Not super slow but smoother than the original 30p.

Edit 24p, conform the 30p to that. Now you’re playing back at 80% original speed. Not super slow but smoother than the original 30p.
See I guess my main question is that is that typical of what everyone does? I see your point of conforming a captured 30fps to a 24 frame timeline and understand it will be smoother. Is that what everyone doing?

It’s the option that will give you the best quality. You only get three choices. Use the footage at 30p, conform it to 24p for an 80% slow down, or fake it and have the NLE / a plug-in invent the extra frames. You can probably get to 50% speed through software without it looking too bad.

As a cinematographer and professional editor, I tend to choose doing it for real at 80% over faking frames but either choice is perfectly fine if you’re happy with the result.

;););)It sounds like the slo-mo factor will be used a lot in your videos, or you’re simply curious. Most of the Spark ariel videography you will see on YouTube will not contain much in the form of slo-mo. Not to say it’s not a useful tool. By all means it has it’s place, but most Spark pilots Ive known, won’t attempt it, for one reason or another. Back in the day of analog video, slo-mo didn’t depend much on the frames per second. But to truly get the jawdropping reaction that I think you are most likely after. Then look into perhaps a Spark 2 (hoping) or the Mavic Air. Which has the built in capability
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a Spark 2.
Cheers,

;););)It sounds like the slo-mo factor will be used a lot in your videos, or you’re simply curious. Most of the Spark ariel videography you will see on YouTube will not contain much in the form of slo-mo. Not to say it’s not a useful tool. By all means it has it’s place, but most Spark pilots Ive known, won’t attempt it, for one reason or another. Back in the day of analog video, slo-mo didn’t depend much on the frames per second. But to truly get the jawdropping reaction that I think you are most likely after. Then look into perhaps a Spark 2 (hoping) or the Mavic Air. Which has the built in capability
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a Spark 2.
Cheers,
Yeah I'm realizing that limitation. There are other methods to make things slow mo from an optical flow perspective in final cut pro for instance but I was just wondering is what I'm experiencing is what I understand and everyone's understanding. For those that I guess don't do post production edits doesn't need to worry but man this can get complicated.

Yeah, my way of thinking, and where I am with my artistic views. Unless I can do it for real, in real time. I’m not going to display it.
I do have the Polaroid Cube + that does 120fps. Beautiful slo-mo, just need to attach it to the Spark...lol.
Cheers

Yeah, my way of thinking, and where I am with my artistic views. Unless I can do it for real, in real time. I’m not going to display it.
I do have the Polaroid Cube + that does 120fps. Beautiful slo-mo, just need to attach it to the Spark...lol.
Cheers
It's funny because now i notice when watching YouTube videos you rarely see DJI sparks as a main tool to capture slow mo or used for cinematic purposes. If you do see the spark in use it's due to some "tool" method to replicate it.

Unfortunately for beginning hobbyist that do light editing I don't think realize the sparks limitation in making cinematic like videos...which I'm trying to do :). Good thing I do have my Mavic pro platinum. I still love my spark despite it's limitation. :)

Thanks everyone to opening my eyes to this. I knew but didnt really know. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502