Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

What is the Highest in Altitude have you taken Mr. Spark?

Mike Pollan

Join
Mar 21, 2018
As the title states.

I have touched 350' here in NY.. Have not ventured close to the 400' ceiling yet..

I've been a good boy (as far as altitude is concerned) and stuck to the 400ft limit definitely hit it a few times. Perhaps bending the line of sight rule...

394' AGL at 9,980' ASL

You guys do know that if flying recreationally in the U.S. you are covered under section 336 and there is no altitude limitation? For some reason, a lot of people seem to think we are limited to 400ft. That is not the case, that is only if flying commercially under Part 107.

You guys do know that if flying recreationally in the U.S. you are covered under section 336 and there is no altitude limitation? For some reason, a lot of people seem to think we are limited to 400ft. That is not the case, that is only if flying commercially under Part 107.
Rule #2 under 336 "kinda" says differently. I hate how vauge these rules are sometimes.

"(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-
based set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization"

I think it is generally accepted that the FAA is referring to the AMA, and that is where the 400 ft. "rule" comes from. Again, it's quite vauge and nowhere in the law does it directly mention a height limit. Also on the FAA's own website it calls things "drone safety tips" which doesn't clarify anything either.

That said, I'll be sticking with a 400 ft. ceiling, but won't bash anyone who goes above it.

I took mine once to just under 600'. As a side question, what is the highest you can still see your Spark with the naked eye?

I keep my setting above the 400ft level on the unsupported theory, that some day I will need to send my Spark higher to avoid some emergency of some sort.

I've been a good boy (as far as altitude is concerned) and stuck to the 400ft limit definitely hit it a few times. Perhaps bending the line of sight rule...
Actually ypu
Actually you can fly above 400 feet check out Ken Herons video How to fly above 400 feet legally

Reactions: ZPFunk
1150'. It was at night. Impossible to judge distance w those lights at night. 1000' didn't look much different than 300'.

As a new Spark pilot, I just ventured to just over 200 feet last Saturday, I might have gone higher but my UAV Forecast app said that there were 22Mph gusts even at that altitude. I will fly higher and farther as my nerves get used to the Spark's capabilities. ;)

Rule #2 under 336 "kinda" says differently. I hate how vauge these rules are sometimes.

"(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-
based set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization"

I think it is generally accepted that the FAA is referring to the AMA, and that is where the 400 ft. "rule" comes from. Again, it's quite vauge and nowhere in the law does it directly mention a height limit. Also on the FAA's own website it calls things "drone safety tips" which doesn't clarify anything either.

That said, I'll be sticking with a 400 ft. ceiling, but won't bash anyone who goes above it.
Yeah, I feel the same way, won’t bash anyone, but too many things can happen up there. Lots of aircraft and until I have an informative way of knowing what other aircrafts are in close proximity, I’ll maintain the 400 ft. Ceiling. Something feels right about it.
And yes I have made it that high up.

Yeah, I feel the same way, won’t bash anyone, but too many things can happen up there. Lots of aircraft and until I have an informative way of knowing what other aircrafts are in close proximity, I’ll maintain the 400 ft. Ceiling. Something feels right about it.
And yes I have made it that high up.

Flightradar24.com is a flight tracker. Problem is tracking choppers is hit or miss.

But when i fly i use a tablet and have my phone next to me tracking approx a 400m radius.

Reactions: brycep
Flightradar24.com is a flight tracker. Problem is tracking choppers is hit or miss.

But when i fly i use a tablet and have my phone next to me tracking approx a 400m radius.
Come 2020 it'll be better as all civilian aircraft will be required to have ADS-B installed. Right now, you still don't have a complete picture of what's in the air with any of the flight tracking apps. FlightRadar24 is by far my favorite tracking app!

We can only hope that the Spark Pilots that do need to fly above the clouds will utilize these great apps.
But with me... with the battery being what is, the hit or misss, of apps and the accidental hit or miss with other aircrafts literally:) a little voice tells me to stay below the radar. Less attention in this hobby is no attention.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast